Update for Matrix Vs Pirate News - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2007, 02:27 AM

Default Update for Matrix Vs Pirate News

ok. Im not one to ever complain but the update written is freaking pointless as hell and it goes to show bias towards HD DVD vs Blu-ray. The facts are that the sales of Pirates was higher then Matrix. We can argue that most HD DVD owners live on east coast and they got hit with floods for a week and couldnt go pickup copies of HD DVD too

If i remember correctly, Pirates 1 was released over 4 years ago and pirates 2 was released a year ago so whats the point? Everybody already owned the DVD's too because if anybody takes into account, Pirates 2 broke DVD records. 5 Million copies in 3 days so its not like people were waiting for the Blu-ray release. So just like Matrix, it was already owned long before.

I really think that "update" is a sad bias point thrown out there
Old 06-02-2007, 02:49 AM

Although you're entitled to your opinion, I think the update was probably warranted. I'm sure if they put something up about it, then they received a decent number of complaints, and that type of thing should be added to the news posting. I don't think that the update shows any sort of bias, it just shows a different perspective than "PIRATES so pwned matrix this week!"

Ah, well, to each his own...
Old 06-02-2007, 04:39 AM

I think the whole situation is funny. Yes Pirates sold more...anyone who expected otherwise for a moment was fooling themselves. The Matrix is done and over with, it's old news. Still I think it's funny that the Blu-Ray boys get to lump both Pirates films together to claim 47,000 copies sold yet the HD boys aren't allowed to do the same by pointing out that the Box set equates to 41,000 copies sold. Regardless of whether you claim it's 47,000 to 13,000 or 47,000 to 41,000 copies it's a pretty pathetic "victory" for the Blu-Only camp either way...Just goes to show the level of pathetic rhetoric being slung around to claim victory over formats that (neither of which) are going anywhere for at least the next two years...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
ok. Im not one to ever complain but the update written is freaking pointless as hell and it goes to show bias towards HD DVD vs Blu-ray. The facts are that the sales of Pirates was higher then Matrix. We can argue that most HD DVD owners live on east coast and they got hit with floods for a week and couldnt go pickup copies of HD DVD too

If i remember correctly, Pirates 1 was released over 4 years ago and pirates 2 was released a year ago so whats the point? Everybody already owned the DVD's too because if anybody takes into account, Pirates 2 broke DVD records. 5 Million copies in 3 days so its not like people were waiting for the Blu-ray release. So just like Matrix, it was already owned long before.

I really think that "update" is a sad bias point thrown out there
Oh, so you would like to completely disregard the fact that the Pirates blu-ray discs got released 2 days prior to the theatrical release of the third film in the trilogy? As if the excitement that people had to see the next installment serves no boost to the sales of the first two on disc? That's silly.

I don't understand why this comparison is being made anyway. The price points of these items are grossly different, and that definitely is a factor for many people.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 AM

The point isnt excitement or anything else because if thats the case, then for every release possible, there can be a 101 different excuses. Numbers are numbers, call it good marketing, call it a more popular movie, call it a cheaper unit. If thats the case, then there needs to be a standard for every movie number we state and go into explanation, not just point it in scenario's that best support a particular format.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:04 AM

to many factors to look at to do just and apples for apples compare.

potc.....family rating, disney, new installment just hit theathers, price point, option to buy seperate, newer movies only releasd one time before. br has 1.5 -2 million players ( which based on 47,000 sold is a very low ratio to owner support)

matrix...... r-rated sold only as set (some people do not like 2 or 3 in series, so might not want the whole set) no option to buy seperate, hd only around 200,000 players (so 13,900 is a lot higher ratio to player owner support)

so i think based on that matrix was a hugh sucess in comparison to potc
Old 06-02-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmanjay2 View Post
to many factors to look at to do just and apples for apples compare.

potc.....family rating, disney, new installment just hit theathers, price point, option to buy seperate, newer movies only releasd one time before. br has 1.5 -2 million players ( which based on 47,000 sold is a very low ratio to owner support)

matrix...... r-rated sold only as set (some people do not like 2 or 3 in series, so might not want the whole set) no option to buy seperate, hd only around 200,000 players (so 13,900 is a lot higher ratio to player owner support)

so i think based on that matrix was a hugh sucess in comparison to potc

Very well said! I was about the post a "like" message!
Old 06-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
The point isnt excitement or anything else because if thats the case, then for every release possible, there can be a 101 different excuses. Numbers are numbers, call it good marketing, call it a more popular movie, call it a cheaper unit. If thats the case, then there needs to be a standard for every movie number we state and go into explanation, not just point it in scenario's that best support a particular format.
I agree that the update sounds silly. But honestly I thought it was silly that the initial article was even written. This is the biggest NON-story to ever grace the front page. The two items just DON'T compare! But you're right, the bottom line is: Yes Pirates moved more units. But it's not as significant as comparing, say, a day-and-date dual-format release because of all the differing factors involved. I do agree with the update in that it's apples and oranges.

UPDATE: Matrix would have sold better if more people bought it. Therefore it actually won!

DOUBLE UPDATE: Pirates wasn't hyped like the Matrix was, so it DID win!

It's ALL spin.

I think the article should be retracted or re-written to focus on something other than the lopsided competition of these titles.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:11 PM

I still don't understand the original numbers. I mean I bought "The Matrix" and "Matrix: Reloaded" and "Matrix Revolutions" These are 3 separate movies right? Like Duh! So I would think that means I bought 3 movies. Why is this confusing? I mean if the Star Wars Trilogy comes out like this, then that's 3 movies. I mean, HELLO.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I still don't understand the original numbers. I mean I bought "The Matrix" and "Matrix: Reloaded" and "Matrix Revolutions" These are 3 separate movies right? Like Duh! So I would think that means I bought 3 movies. Why is this confusing? I mean if the Star Wars Trilogy comes out like this, then that's 3 movies. I mean, HELLO.
Thats why it's so easy to spin... 3 movies = 1 unit sold. On the other hand 1 Unit sold = 3 movies purchased. It's all in how you WANT to see it. People are getting excited over nothing...