Information section on High-Def Digest? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Information section on High-Def Digest?

Perhaps this site was only intended to be a site for news about High-Def and discussion, but I think it would be great if this site had an "Information" section where people could learn about the technology.

For instance, articles that help us understand how movies are encoded, differences between encoding methods, how exactly both technologies work, how plasma and LCD screens work, etc, etc.

I think such a section could go a long way to making High-Def Digest a one stop place for your news, info, and discussion...

Paul
Old 06-01-2007, 09:09 PM

It's already been done. I can't say it's all inclusive, but there is a helpful FAQ section posted by JU1CYFRU1T.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

I hate to sound rude, but it would be nice if new people would actually visit these helpful FAQ's BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS. I see so many questions from people who don't even know what Blu Ray or HD DVD is. Seriously. One thing is asking help on streaming H.264 files to a PS3--it's another to ask, I have an Xbox 360 what do I need to play HD DVD's on it??

Like I said, I hate to be rude about it, but it's just my opinion.

Last edited by doctornd; 06-02-2007 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkremer View Post
Perhaps this site was only intended to be a site for news about High-Def and discussion, but I think it would be great if this site had an "Information" section where people could learn about the technology.

For instance, articles that help us understand how movies are encoded, differences between encoding methods, how exactly both technologies work, how plasma and LCD screens work, etc, etc.

I think such a section could go a long way to making High-Def Digest a one stop place for your news, info, and discussion...

Paul
Like he mentioned above, the FAQ section is very helpful, and is also updated from time to time with new info. But if you still have a question you can post it in the relevant hardware or software forum.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I hate to sound rude,
Then why did you? I hate to sound rude too. I can't believe that people are rude in a feedback forum. Can you expect honest feedback if people jump down the throat of someone with an idea?

Quote:
but it would be nice if some people would actually visit these helpful FAQ's BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS.
Again, is this a crime? Simply pointing me to the FAQs, which are a subforum and not a category that I saw initially, would have been very polite. Your sarcasm was unnecessary. Some of the topics I suggested are not in the FAQ list...where would I go to suggest that the site post something about them? Apparently, people get upset to read new posts in a forum designed for posts, and in a category designed for suggestions...where could I go for this?

Quote:
I see so many questions from people who don't even know what Blu Ray or HD DVD is. Seriously. One thing is asking help on streaming H.264 files to a PS3--it's another to ask, I have an Xbox 360 what do I need to play HD DVD's on it??
But if you recall, I didn't ask any of those things. I was simply suggesting, very politely I might add, that it would be cool if this site had a section up top, like an "Information" tab along with "Main, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and Forums." I was suggesting it for reference material, not because I don't understand those things. I thought it was a decent idea. If the site had a section that was clearly visible and not a subforum, maybe you could avoid having to answer the hundreds of posts asking stupid questions about what Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is. They could just click on the "Information" tab.

I apologize for the trouble I caused you.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:16 AM

Pkremer, you missed my point entirely. If you wish to analyze my entire post, that is your option of course, but...I wasn't directing my comments at any one particular person, and I especially wasn't directing them at you.

The bottom line is that I would appreciate if others who are new to the site seeking answers to put a little effort to look for answers instead of being quick to post a question asked maybe three threads ago. I don't think that is too much to ask.

This site is chock full of helpful information and helpful people at that, and I never said it was a "crime" to ask questions.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 AM

Pkremer, I now see where you may have misinterpreted my post. My apologies, as I did not word it properly.

I've had questions myself, and there is also a bit of information I would like to see posted in the FAQ's. As I mentioned earlier the FAQ's may not be all inclusive.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:23 AM

I think it'd be a great idea. It would be a wonderful resource for underinformed consumers to check out. Faqs are great, but I have a hard time reading a bunch of questions and answers in text format.

It would be better to almost have it laid out more logically in almost an e-book format where each page had basic information along with pictures, etc.

Thanks for the great idea, Paul!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
The bottom line is that I would appreciate if others who are new to the site seeking answers to put a little effort to look for answers instead of being quick to post a question asked maybe three threads ago. I don't think that is too much to ask.
The problem is, they don't. They never will. There will always be those new posters who don't look at anything, they just post a new thread. I think this could be a great resource to point those "lost souls" to so we don't have to explain everything a million times.

Perhaps we could take the faq and build on the information included and add a little easier navigatibility and visually stimulating images to create a unified and extensive guide for newcomers to high definition.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I think it'd be a great idea. It would be a wonderful resource for underinformed consumers to check out. Faqs are great, but I have a hard time reading a bunch of questions and answers in text format.

It would be better to almost have it laid out more logically in almost an e-book format where each page had basic information along with pictures, etc.

Thanks for the great idea, Paul!

Do you think it would be a decent suggestion to have a dedicated section for newbies seeking answers which would also include a section for the FAQ's?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Pkremer, I now see where you may have misinterpreted my post. My apologies, as I did not word it properly.

I've had questions myself, and there is also a bit of information I would like to see posted in the FAQ's. As I mentioned earlier the FAQ's may not be all inclusive.
I apologize too...I really did think your post was directed at me, as it was in direct response to my post! But I see what you were trying to say now. No harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post

Yes, this is what I meant. I've noticed that many people new into HD don't understand anything about the technology, both with televisions, players, encoding, etc...my friends are always asking me the difference between plasma and LCD, why HD is better, and just in general lack details. A nice Information tab at the top, along with a nicely laid out organized list of articles, with pictures and explanations would be beautiful to help people understand the technology they are interested in buying (or have bought). I've noticed it is really hard to find sites with good information.

This is my favorite forum because of its neutrality in its reviews and news reports, and the way the forums are managed. An well-laid out and informative information section would really make this site the best on the net, in my opinion.