User pages with user collection/most wanted - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-23-2007, 08:04 PM

Default User pages with user collection/most wanted

First let me say how much I enjoy browsing High-Def Digest. Everything about this site has been great. I appreciate the well written reviews, the release dates and consistent quality of the news. I also appreciate the forum community here. I lurk at AVS, but I like being able to talk about both BD and HD discs without the vitriol and ego that many AVS'ers have. But I digress...

Something I would love to see on HDD would be user created pages. User created content would propel this great community further and give it a "face". Furthermore: I'd love to see a type of 'collection' page where users could track their most wanted discs and catalog their collection. All of this would ideally tie into the forums, and user created pages to allow a synergy between news stories, reviews and the forums as a whole.

I understand this requires a fair amount of work on the backend, but I feel this would really differentiate HDD from the other AV related sites, and be a great catalyst for the continued growth of this site.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:16 AM

Hey DMRSX! Welcome to HDD (I haven't seen you around the forums yet...)!

While I agree that user-created content would really be something great and unique, I don't really think that it's what HDD is all about and was designed to do. As you can see, the subtitle of the website simply refers to "News and Reviews." I think that HDD should focus on being really great in these areas. I feel that allowing user-created content would be a huge undertaking for the staff, require an infinite amount of additional moderation, and draw the focus away from news and reviews. I think that, while it's a good idea, it probably isn't feasible for the site to do that. In addition, there are multiple other sites that perform very similar functions already (check here and here).

I'm sure that some of the staff and forum mods would be able to add some more input to this discussion.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
In addition, there are multiple other sites that perform very similar functions already (check here and here).
Damn, who the hell has a collection that big that they need a software database to keep track of it?!

But back on topic, it sounds like an interesting idea, but the only thing that I would really agree with in HDD's case would be the collection page (which could be added as a part of a users profile.) The user created content I think might be taking it a little overboard, as high def digest is really just a news blog with a (growing) discussion forum on the side. It may be something to look into when HDD gets much bigger like AVS, but right now it may be a little overwhelming for the site, and could draw attention away from its main focus as Chad5871 said.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Damn, who the hell has a collection that big that they need a software database to keep track of it?!

But back on topic, it sounds like an interesting idea, but the only thing that I would really agree with in HDD's case would be the collection page (which could be added as a part of a users profile.) The user created content I think might be taking it a little overboard, as high def digest is really just a news blog with a (growing) discussion forum on the side. It may be something to look into when HDD gets much bigger like AVS, but right now it may be a little overwhelming for the site, and could draw attention away from its main focus as Chad5871 said.
I use DVD Profiler too. It's terrific!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 AM

Is there a big difference between DVD profiler and the other one...Intervocative?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:55 AM

We have threads designed for keeping lists of your HD DVDs and Blu-rays. (It was my idea btw!)

HD DVD: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=259
Blu-ray: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=257

The links to the posts for my lists are in my signature.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 AM
HDD Founder

I agree that a more sophosticated way of tracking collections would be a great addition to the site -- we'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion, DMRSX, and to all who've weighed in
Old 05-24-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
Is there a big difference between DVD profiler and the other one...Intervocative?
Intervocative is the company that designed/owns DVD Profiler, so it's all the same.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:57 AM

i never understood the reason for those DVD tracking online collection sites....
Old 05-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
i never understood the reason for those DVD tracking online collection sites....
So people can put a link in their various profiles and say look at all the friggin DVDs I have Not much else. For personal reasons I would think an excel spreadsheet would do just fine.