Feedback for "Console Wars: PlayStation 3 vs. Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-On" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-23-2006, 04:11 PM

Post Feedback for "Console Wars: PlayStation 3 vs. Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-On"

With regards to the article for

IN THE SPOTLIGHT

Console Wars: PlayStation 3 vs. Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-On
http://www.highdefdigest.com/feature...x360addon.html

1) thank you for writing it and for all the information High-Def Digest provides.

2) one thing that should be mentioned about the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon is it gives an additional choice. You CAN use it with a PC. This is huge for the DIY/HTPC crowd. The only limitation currently is software. But it has been shown to be fully working with Beta software from Cyberlink's PowerDVD.

Here are two links to information pertaining to getting things up and running.
I would say that at least 25% of all newer computers can handle the requirements below. Even if the percentage is lower, there are far more new computers being sold than Xbox 360's, Wii's, PS3's combined. All these new computers can with the $200 HD-DVD addon (read threads for getting it for $160) + some software (better software available in 1-3 months) can be upgraded to HD-DVD players basically for little effort. The cheapest Blu-Ray playback drive is a recorder for about $600-700 (but it can record and it comes with fully functional playback software). Still creating the potential pool of HD-DVD addon customers is a smart move on MS's part. Anyhow it's a pretty important piece of information that is not well known about the MS HD-DVD addon drive. Seeing as it's the cheapest way to get HD disc playback for PC's as well as XBox 360's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8880622

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751319

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=3

Someone needs to peel the blu-ray player out of the PS3 and try it with the solutions posted in the 2nd link to get 1080P Blu-Ray on PC too. Unfortunately $500 (and it'll be a while before they're commonly available) would be the entry price there.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Using the devices for non-standard uses through illegal means (you're not really supposed to have the Toshiba Drivers for the file system) shouldn't really be part of an official review. Otherwise they would have to review all the PS3 hacks as well. ;-)
Old 11-23-2006, 04:26 PM

That's funny, cause those drivers are actually publicly available on Toshiba's site if you look hard enough. And you don't need those drivers at all if you use Windows Vista.

I would like to know where they are deemed "illegal". These are not hacked drivers in any way. They are actually Toshiba's own developed drivers.

And post the blu-ray hacks. This is information, I'd be interested in. The Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon for PC is not really a hack at all though. At least I don't deem it to be a hack. You order software you install it, you plug the drive in it plays right now. That's not a hack. And note that the user that installed the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon in the 3rd link didn't install the UDF driver at all. Other people in the threads haven't had to either. I didn't say it was absolutely necessary to get the drive working.

Can someone delete the other thread? somehow my browser cached the reply twice and created the duplicate. Thanks and sorry for the mess.

Last edited by blippy; 11-23-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:36 PM

Some sites which had originally posted the drivers took them down. I'm guessing it has something to do with the EULA of the drivers. Unless you're running an enterprise edition or are an official beta tester, you shouldn't be running Vista either.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:38 PM

You do know about the tons of people that entered the official LEGAL MS public beta for Vista Beta 1, Beta 2 and RC-1 right, that's what CTP was. Microsoft had at least a million downloads. And these Vista testers are pretty much free to run this software until summer 2007. Point is that there are legal ways for tons of people to be using it right now. You should see the poll for people that were buying the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon for use with HTPC. Folks that read techinical forums like this and AVS, engadget, uneasysilence etc. are more likely to be open to this possibility. Anyone that runs WINMCE on their own could be interested as well. That's a huge number of possible customers. There are probably millions of MCE2005 boxes out there.

I got the drive to work just fine on a PC without the drivers too by the way.
The drive actually detects fine as toshiba DVD/HD X807616 USB device without the drivers, the two memory devices don't detect. But that doesn't hurt playback at all.

"Using the devices for non-standard uses through illegal means (you're not really supposed to have the Toshiba Drivers for the file system) shouldn't really be part of an official review."

Shrug... I dunno I like the idea of using some of my old hardcover books as doorstops. I don't think the author or publisher meant for them to be used that way, but oh well I think they work pretty well at this function.

Last edited by blippy; 11-23-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

I eagerly look forward to trying this on the PC, but I don't think that it needed to be mentioned in the review as the drive is not marketed as a PC add-on, even though the drivers may be available. Also, I imagine you would need a top-notch PC to make it worthwhile.