Terribly misleading and fanboyish thread on the front page here - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,955
Default Terribly misleading and fanboyish thread on the front page here

The front page with the HD DVD $50 player article - poor show guys, really very poor show.

That's an incredibly misleading and speculative title about speculative news.

I would expect better from the "news" reports. That front page belongs in the smackdown.

Sorry whomever took the time to write it, but it is NOT on at all unless this site considers itself very biased towards HD DVD.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
The front page with the HD DVD $50 player article - poor show guys, really very poor show.

That's an incredibly misleading and speculative title about speculative news.

I would expect better from the "news" reports. That front page belongs in the smackdown.

Sorry whomever took the time to write it, but it is NOT on at all unless this site considers itself very biased towards HD DVD.
I disagree wholeheartedly. It's reporting the latest news, and thats the biggest rumor in HD land right now. They report what the newest happenings are, and that's what this is.

Stop claiming bias with everything that doesn't agree with Blu-ray. We had complaints about the report of Planet Earth ranking #4 on Amazon because blu-ray owners felt it only achieved that status due to the coordinated effort. That was mentioned in the article, just as much as this article mentioned this is purely a rumor. Go to ANY other website that keeps tabs on subjects. Go to any of the Engadget affiliates. Over 3/4 of their stories are rumors. Stop claiming bias, because you know as well as I do if that story is disproven, or changes to definitely be in favor of blu-ray, it will be reported on as such. Stick to smackdown topics, not to criticizing the good writers here.

In fact, here's what jed posted in the Planet Earth thread, since you completely have glossed over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed
On a separate note, the persistent accusations of bias from both sides is an interesting commentary on human nature. All I can tell you is that our editorial team is resolutely format-neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
chad5871's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. It's reporting the latest news, and thats the biggest rumor in HD land right now. They report what the newest happenings are, and that's what this is.

Stop claiming bias with everything that doesn't agree with Blu-ray. We had complaints about the report of Planet Earth ranking #4 on Amazon because blu-ray owners felt it only achieved that status due to the coordinated effort. That was mentioned in the article, just as much as this article mentioned this is purely a rumor. Go to ANY other website that keeps tabs on subjects. Go to any of the Engadget affiliates. Over 3/4 of their stories are rumors. Stop claiming bias, because you know as well as I do if that story is disproven, or changes to definitely be in favor of blu-ray, it will be reported on as such. Stick to smackdown topics, not to criticizing the good writers here.

In fact, here's what jed posted in the Planet Earth thread, since you completely have glossed over it.
I agree with you Space_butler, and was about to post a similar response. If anything, I would guess that the writers on this site are slightly biased toward Blu-ray (with the emphasis on slightly), but I can tell that they are hard at work being neutral.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 AM
jed's Avatar
jed jed is offline
HDD Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
The front page with the HD DVD $50 player article - poor show guys, really very poor show.

That's an incredibly misleading and speculative title about speculative news.

I would expect better from the "news" reports. That front page belongs in the smackdown.

Sorry whomever took the time to write it, but it is NOT on at all unless this site considers itself very biased towards HD DVD.
Doby, did actually you read the article? Because every other article I've read on this topic today (at places like Wired, Gizmodo and IGN), presented the "Wal-Mart to release HD DVD player" story as fact, which *I* happen to think was irresponsible.

Our story, on the other hand -- titled "$50 Wal-Mart HD DVD Player: Fact or Fiction?" -- emphasizes the fact that this much-talked about report is (thus far) unconfirmed, and that the strangely poorly report out of China that started all this brings up more questions than it answers.

Certainly we do get into why it would be big news (for either format) if Wal-Mart *did* release an inexpensive format-specific high-def player, but that too is presented in an attempt to answer the question "so why is everyone making a big fuss about this unsubstantiated story."

Considering the amount of attention this story got on mainstream tech sites today, I think it was important that we address it with all the facts we do have, and to try to give a fuller picture of the story than folks may be getting elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 AM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

I thought it was big news. It's perfectly legitmate. The article even mentioned that it couldn't be 100% sure if it was one format or another.

(Ooooh... What if it was a $199 to $299 dual format player? The war would be over. Stalemate.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Pat H's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,009
Default

As the others pointed out, the article was careful not to make assumptions and pointed out that everything is speculation at this time. It just gets me aggravated that there can be weeks of Blu-Ray posts on the front page with virtually no sign of HD DVD news, and then when an HD DVD rumor is posted people complain that the site is biased and unfair. Please just get over it, I can garuntee that if there was ever a Blu-Ray rumor like that it would be posted just as quickly, and some HD DVD person would complain (and not the Blu-Ray fans). The way I see it, this is all like a political game (ie: Democrats vs. Republicans) where both sides criticize the other for doing stuff they themselves do as well.

So in other words, just calm down and leave the news feed alone. When a Blu-ray story comes I'm sure it will be posted.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,912
Default

IMO the question is does High Def Digiest want to become the next Digital Bits? Because that's exactly where this place is headed if it makes a big deal out of rumors on its site.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM
chad5871's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
IMO the question is does High Def Digiest want to become the next Digital Bits? Because that's exactly where this place is headed if it makes a big deal out of rumors on its site.
Ummmm, did you read what jed posted? He said that the reason they posted the news was because it was important to let people know it was an unconfirmed report. It's certainly a huge rumor, and one worthy of at least mentioning on the site. The Digital Bits is a self-proclaimed "rumor mill" - High Def Digest is a news outlet.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,741
Default

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the people who are complaining about the article are people who either did not totally read it, or who can't take it in the proper context. Either way, there's a distinct problem in interpretation, and its being redirected onto others.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 AM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Doby, did actually you read the article? Because every other article I've read on this topic today (at places like Wired, Gizmodo and IGN), presented the "Wal-Mart to release HD DVD player" story as fact, which *I* happen to think was irresponsible.

Our story, on the other hand -- titled "$50 Wal-Mart HD DVD Player: Fact or Fiction?" -- emphasizes the fact that this much-talked about report is (thus far) unconfirmed, and that the strangely poorly report out of China that started all this brings up more questions than it answers.

Certainly we do get into why it would be big news (for either format) if Wal-Mart *did* release an inexpensive format-specific high-def player, but that too is presented in an attempt to answer the question "so why is everyone making a big fuss about this unsubstantiated story."

Considering the amount of attention this story got on mainstream tech sites today, I think it was important that we address it with all the facts we do have, and to try to give a fuller picture of the story than folks may be getting elsewhere.
While I do appreciate what you have done with the news article, and its very nice to see us trying to stick to format nutrality when it comes with news, I do tend to think this site is more leaning towards HD DVD. Now that does not mean this article but i mean in general but again, having said that, thanks for not just saying $50 HD DVD player
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDD front page sanitized from HD DVD bad news? kamiller42 Feedback 76 02-03-2008 05:54 PM
Front Page: Blu-ray Commands 93 Percent of Weekly Hardware Sales Post-Warner Announ. Blahaha High Definition Smackdown 25 01-24-2008 03:32 AM
There is a picture of an HD DVD player on the front page of "USA TODAY" Today!!!!!! Arkadin HD DVD Software General Discussion 54 01-22-2008 09:55 AM
Front Page of Yahoo, Halo 3 packaging scratches disks james Gaming Smackdown 12 09-26-2007 04:03 PM
Format war makes front page of Yahoo News Pat H General Discussion: Both Formats 4 08-13-2007 01:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off