Terribly misleading and fanboyish thread on the front page here - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default Terribly misleading and fanboyish thread on the front page here

The front page with the HD DVD $50 player article - poor show guys, really very poor show.

That's an incredibly misleading and speculative title about speculative news.

I would expect better from the "news" reports. That front page belongs in the smackdown.

Sorry whomever took the time to write it, but it is NOT on at all unless this site considers itself very biased towards HD DVD.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
The front page with the HD DVD $50 player article - poor show guys, really very poor show.

I would expect better from the "news" reports. That front page belongs in the smackdown.

Sorry whomever took the time to write it, but it is NOT on at all unless this site considers itself very biased towards HD DVD.
I disagree wholeheartedly. It's reporting the latest news, and thats the biggest rumor in HD land right now. They report what the newest happenings are, and that's what this is.

Stop claiming bias with everything that doesn't agree with Blu-ray. We had complaints about the report of Planet Earth ranking #4 on Amazon because blu-ray owners felt it only achieved that status due to the coordinated effort. That was mentioned in the article, just as much as this article mentioned this is purely a rumor. Go to ANY other website that keeps tabs on subjects. Go to any of the Engadget affiliates. Over 3/4 of their stories are rumors. Stop claiming bias, because you know as well as I do if that story is disproven, or changes to definitely be in favor of blu-ray, it will be reported on as such. Stick to smackdown topics, not to criticizing the good writers here.

In fact, here's what jed posted in the Planet Earth thread, since you completely have glossed over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed
On a separate note, the persistent accusations of bias from both sides is an interesting commentary on human nature. All I can tell you is that our editorial team is resolutely format-neutral.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. It's reporting the latest news, and thats the biggest rumor in HD land right now. They report what the newest happenings are, and that's what this is.

Stop claiming bias with everything that doesn't agree with Blu-ray. We had complaints about the report of Planet Earth ranking #4 on Amazon because blu-ray owners felt it only achieved that status due to the coordinated effort. That was mentioned in the article, just as much as this article mentioned this is purely a rumor. Go to ANY other website that keeps tabs on subjects. Go to any of the Engadget affiliates. Over 3/4 of their stories are rumors. Stop claiming bias, because you know as well as I do if that story is disproven, or changes to definitely be in favor of blu-ray, it will be reported on as such. Stick to smackdown topics, not to criticizing the good writers here.

In fact, here's what jed posted in the Planet Earth thread, since you completely have glossed over it.
I agree with you Space_butler, and was about to post a similar response. If anything, I would guess that the writers on this site are slightly biased toward Blu-ray (with the emphasis on slightly), but I can tell that they are hard at work being neutral.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 AM
HDD Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Doby, did actually you read the article? Because every other article I've read on this topic today (at places like Wired, Gizmodo and IGN), presented the "Wal-Mart to release HD DVD player" story as fact, which *I* happen to think was irresponsible.

Our story, on the other hand -- titled "$50 Wal-Mart HD DVD Player: Fact or Fiction?" -- emphasizes the fact that this much-talked about report is (thus far) unconfirmed, and that the strangely poorly report out of China that started all this brings up more questions than it answers.

Certainly we do get into why it would be big news (for either format) if Wal-Mart *did* release an inexpensive format-specific high-def player, but that too is presented in an attempt to answer the question "so why is everyone making a big fuss about this unsubstantiated story."

Considering the amount of attention this story got on mainstream tech sites today, I think it was important that we address it with all the facts we do have, and to try to give a fuller picture of the story than folks may be getting elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:38 AM

I thought it was big news. It's perfectly legitmate. The article even mentioned that it couldn't be 100% sure if it was one format or another.

(Ooooh... What if it was a $199 to $299 dual format player? The war would be over. Stalemate.)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:31 AM

As the others pointed out, the article was careful not to make assumptions and pointed out that everything is speculation at this time. It just gets me aggravated that there can be weeks of Blu-Ray posts on the front page with virtually no sign of HD DVD news, and then when an HD DVD rumor is posted people complain that the site is biased and unfair. Please just get over it, I can garuntee that if there was ever a Blu-Ray rumor like that it would be posted just as quickly, and some HD DVD person would complain (and not the Blu-Ray fans). The way I see it, this is all like a political game (ie: Democrats vs. Republicans) where both sides criticize the other for doing stuff they themselves do as well.

So in other words, just calm down and leave the news feed alone. When a Blu-ray story comes I'm sure it will be posted.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:33 AM

IMO the question is does High Def Digiest want to become the next Digital Bits? Because that's exactly where this place is headed if it makes a big deal out of rumors on its site.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
IMO the question is does High Def Digiest want to become the next Digital Bits? Because that's exactly where this place is headed if it makes a big deal out of rumors on its site.
Ummmm, did you read what jed posted? He said that the reason they posted the news was because it was important to let people know it was an unconfirmed report. It's certainly a huge rumor, and one worthy of at least mentioning on the site. The Digital Bits is a self-proclaimed "rumor mill" - High Def Digest is a news outlet.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:17 PM

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the people who are complaining about the article are people who either did not totally read it, or who can't take it in the proper context. Either way, there's a distinct problem in interpretation, and its being redirected onto others.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
Doby, did actually you read the article? Because every other article I've read on this topic today (at places like Wired, Gizmodo and IGN), presented the "Wal-Mart to release HD DVD player" story as fact, which *I* happen to think was irresponsible.

Our story, on the other hand -- titled "$50 Wal-Mart HD DVD Player: Fact or Fiction?" -- emphasizes the fact that this much-talked about report is (thus far) unconfirmed, and that the strangely poorly report out of China that started all this brings up more questions than it answers.

Certainly we do get into why it would be big news (for either format) if Wal-Mart *did* release an inexpensive format-specific high-def player, but that too is presented in an attempt to answer the question "so why is everyone making a big fuss about this unsubstantiated story."

Considering the amount of attention this story got on mainstream tech sites today, I think it was important that we address it with all the facts we do have, and to try to give a fuller picture of the story than folks may be getting elsewhere.
While I do appreciate what you have done with the news article, and its very nice to see us trying to stick to format nutrality when it comes with news, I do tend to think this site is more leaning towards HD DVD. Now that does not mean this article but i mean in general but again, having said that, thanks for not just saying $50 HD DVD player