Shouldn't there be at least one reviewer with high-end equipment? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-18-2008, 06:04 PM

Cool Shouldn't there be at least one reviewer with high-end equipment?

I have been reviewing the "equipment list" of the reviewers of this esteemed site, and honestly have to say that the equipment is extremely mediocre, at best. There have been too many discrepancies between my take on some blu-rays, and the reviewer's view. And when I look at the equipment that these reviewers used, I am dismayed at the mediocrity. The viewpoint may change if the source was played on some decent equipment. It is like with music. Some songs sound really good on the radio and on mp3 players and boom boxes, but you play the same thing on a high end system, and it sounds like poop. Blu-ray offers the highest possible quality, and it seems odd to me to see a review from someone who thinks that an Onkyo receiver can possibly do justice to the source. I know that it may sound extremely arrogant, etc, but until you have experienced really high end AV, you haven't experienced it! I would like to see some reviewers of the calibre of "The absolute Sound" or "Playback" (fka "the perfect vision"). At least ONE reviewer, with some equipment above mediocre mass-market crud. So that I have a reasonable shot at deciding whether or not a blu-ray is worth getting. When your equipment is good enough, you realize pretty quickly that compressed audio or video NEVER compares with the best sources. Never.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:23 PM

unfortunately I agree for the most part with this. I would expect the gear to more high-end myself, and hopefully this will be addressed by the "new" ownership. The reviewers are too strong on here to let average gear perhaps be tainting their reviews. The reviewers on HDD are being paid for their work, and considering that the reviews remain the heart of HDD, this issue needs to be acknowledged imo. Compared to "Widescreen Review", "Sound and Vision", or "The Absolute Sound" say, the gear on HDD is extremely lacking. That said, this site is still relatively new, and I'm sure the would like nothing more than to have gear equal to the aforementioned mags.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:04 PM

I think there are sites that are dedicated to high end HT such as www.hometheatershack.com and this site is more geared toward the people who really cant afford or want to spend 100 bucks a meter for speaker wire.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM

well, one of the things that should be noted about reviews is they are one person's opinion... which is why i suggested in another thread that they allow member ratings as well... if anything, star ratings for each aspect of the review. i've seen a number of reviews that i don't agree with on many points. but this is what we have to go by. for now.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priapism View Post
I have been reviewing the "equipment list" of the reviewers of this esteemed site, and honestly have to say that the equipment is extremely mediocre, at best. There have been too many discrepancies between my take on some blu-rays, and the reviewer's view. And when I look at the equipment that these reviewers used, I am dismayed at the mediocrity. The viewpoint may change if the source was played on some decent equipment. It is like with music. Some songs sound really good on the radio and on mp3 players and boom boxes, but you play the same thing on a high end system, and it sounds like poop. Blu-ray offers the highest possible quality, and it seems odd to me to see a review from someone who thinks that an Onkyo receiver can possibly do justice to the source. I know that it may sound extremely arrogant, etc, but until you have experienced really high end AV, you haven't experienced it! I would like to see some reviewers of the calibre of "The absolute Sound" or "Playback" (fka "the perfect vision"). At least ONE reviewer, with some equipment above mediocre mass-market crud. So that I have a reasonable shot at deciding whether or not a blu-ray is worth getting. When your equipment is good enough, you realize pretty quickly that compressed audio or video NEVER compares with the best sources. Never.
Well, unfortunately I only own "mediocre mass-market crud" audio/video equipment, so I'm glad that the reviews I put so much stock in are based on viewing/listening on similar quality gear. I feel confident that I will get results similar to the reviewer. So, I'm definitely not with you on this one.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:08 AM

I'd like to hear what the reviewers think of this.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 AM

If you think their equipment is "mass-market crud," why don't you donate some to them to fix their problem? I'm sure they'll willingly accept your gift, since it's unlikely they have an extra $10-20k or so just lying around to blow on equipment that meets your standards.

Better yet, why don't you take the time to write reviews for everyone?

Point: the reviews are provided free to you. If you find them lacking and not useful, don't read them. Find another site that conforms to your quality standards.

I really hate people who make complaints like this. It's like someone giving you a free lunch and then you complaining, "Oh, I wanted filet mignon instead of the burger you gave me."

Last edited by Aurora; 05-19-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 AM

Lightbulb

Aurora, you really are a goddess. My thoughts exactly.

I kind of like knowing that the reviewers have similar systems to what many of us average Joes and Josephines might have. You'd also think that the equipment wouldn't make too much difference, because honestly if it looks and sounds good on what the thread starter calls "low end" systems, it more than likely can only look and sound better on more expensive equipment. After all, that's what you pay for right?

I also rather enjoy my Onkyo mass-market crud. Of course it's easier to sit back and listen without a stick up my ass.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
If you think their equipment is "mass-market crud," why don't you donate some to them to fix their problem? I'm sure they'll willingly accept your gift, since it's unlikely they have an extra $10-20k or so just lying around to blow on equipment that meets your standards.

Better yet, why don't you take the time to write reviews for everyone?

Point: the reviews are provided free to you. If you find them lacking and not useful, don't read them. Find another site that conforms to your quality standards.

I really hate people who make complaints like this. It's like someone giving you a free lunch and then you complaining, "Oh, I wanted filet mignon instead of the burger you gave me."
Marry me.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by priapism View Post
Please send checks to "Kenneth Brown" at High Def Digest.

Seriously though, some of us have upgraded our equipment, we just need to update the equipment listing. Beyond that, we're always working to get our equipment up to snuff, but keep in mind it takes time and funds.