Closing "Buzz" threads when Reviews threads are made? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Closing "Buzz" threads when Reviews threads are made?

Ive noticed quite a few times that sometimes someone posts in the Pre-Release Buzz thread and it stays alive while the Review thread goes down.
For example yesterday V for Vendettas pre release buzz kept on getting posts putting it ahead of the actual review thread.
I think it be a good idea to close the Pre-Release threads when you release HDD reviews of the movie to stop confusion.
Just my thoughts, anyone else think it would help?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 PM

Or maybe merge the threads together?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Or maybe merge the threads together?
That be even better...but is it possible?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Yes it's possible... I will bring it up, because Jed is almost always the one who creates those threads... so instead of another mod trying to catch it... I will mention that he could just make a new post in the 'pre-release thread' with a re-direct... or make a new post with a link to the review... and change the thread name...

It's obviously up to Jed... but I will bring it up.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM
HDD Founder

Thanks for the suggestion. Honestly, I like having two threads, as I think they serve two different purposes

The pre-release thread gets started when the disc is announced -- usually months before the release date, and the discussion there is often speculative in nature (obviously it becomes less speculative over time as more info comes in.).

The review thread is for discussion of the HDD review (most people get to it by clicking the "see what other readers are saying about this review" link on the bottom of each review) -- it would a pain to have to page through often outdated discussion before getting to the feedback on the review itself.

Having said all that, I'm open to hearing other what others think...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM

I agree with you Jed. I at one time was going to bring the same subject up that Ben did, but after thinking about it I figured it wasn't that great of an idea. It still is, but I think it would be wrong to ever merge them. It would be to cluttered with (like Jed said) outdated info.

Closing it would work, but it would also leave to many discussions unfinished. for example, there is several people talking in the 'Master & Commander' PRB but if the review was to be posted in the next 15mins and the PRB closed they would want to continue the discussion in the review thread but that would confuse to many people. Cause no one would have any idea what they are talking about.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM

I think RandellG brings up a good point too.. what if we set a time limit (and posted that limit in the PRB thread?

Something like:
Quote:
The review for this movies has been posted HERE. We will be closing this thread is 24 (or 48) hours. Please feel free to continue your discussion in the new thread.
It might not always work... but it's something to build on. Anyone else have any thoughts/concerns about how to proceed?
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
I think RandellG brings up a good point too.. what if we set a time limit (and posted that limit in the PRB thread?

Something like:

It might not always work... but it's something to build on. Anyone else have any thoughts/concerns about how to proceed?
I like the idea Juicy. You could also post a final post at the 10 min mark before it closes saying please further all conversation here: LINK.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post

Something like:

That would be a great idea if it could be implemented.