Wrong Infos in reviews regarding resolution of Special Features - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2007, 09:50 PM

Exclamation Wrong Infos in reviews regarding resolution of Special Features

ok, i wrote an email to you guys and nothing was changed in your reviews. so here we go again ...

in the reviews for goodfellas and happy feet, the reviewer wrote that the included trailers are in 1080p. this is wrong, as they are only in 480p.

if a reviewer doesn't SEE the difference between a 480p and a 1080p version of a trailer, then how can we trust his/her opinion on a feature film?

so fix your reviews and in the future take a closer look what truly is hd and what is sd

Last edited by bendermac; 03-30-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 PM

add good night, and good luck blu-ray to this list.

trailer is stated as 1080p which it isn't!
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 AM
PeterB

Hi there --

Sorry for this late post. But I went back and checked out the 'Happy Feet' trailer -- my readout gives me a resolution of 1080, both using the PS3 for the Blu-ray and the Toshiba HD-XA2 for the HD DVD.

Note, though, that encoding is not any sort of guarantee that the quality of a trailer is going to match the main feature. For one, many trailers (as well as deleted scenes, featurettes, etc.) can be 480 upconverts. Also, trailers themselves are never minted from the actual negative used for the film itself. Quality can be comparable, but the sources are not identical.

A good example are those HD DVD preview spots before Warner titles -- though encoded at 1080, the quality of the clips for the various films are noticeably inconsistent, and hardly comparable to the quality of the actual transfer on their respective discs. The Matrix footage is obviously a 480 upconvert, while the clip for 'Dukes of Hazzard' is far inferior to the transfer.

BTW, before we actually review a title, the specs are delivered from the studios themselves, and sometimes errors occur. But we now are going in and making it a policy to note the encode/resolution of all the extras on a disc, as well as the bitrates of soundtracks, as pre-release information can often be inaccurate.

Thanks much,

Peter
Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM

Peter, thank you very much for that reply. You da man.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:28 PM

Peter,
How can you check the bitrate of audio coming out of an HD DVD? I am using an XA2 and I can't seem to figure out how to do it, and my onkyo receiver just says multicannel pcm. This is unlike the PS3, which tells video and audio bitrate, codec of video and audio.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:06 AM

wrong info for trailer on reign of fire[/URL] blu-ray.

Quote:
Rounding things out is the film's Theatrical Trailer proper. At least it's presented in full 1080p video
actually it's presented in 4:3 letterboxed in480i with dolby 2.0.