Peter B - THANK YOU for having the GUTS... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Default Peter B - THANK YOU for having the GUTS...

...to openly state that the film Crash is a "crap piece of hackwork." (This is from the HD-DVD review of V for Vendetta, the best film of the year so far, with The Departed and Thank You for Smoking rounding out my top three.)

When I first saw Crash I thought that it was fairly well acted, but fatally clichéd and unimaginative, at best. When I saw it again, it made me angry (and this is coming from someone who is a staunch and very vocal Liberal when it comes to my politics). Crash was designed, from its very beginnings, to be Oscar bait. It was so sopping wet with melodramatic social manipulation that it made critics afraid to not like it. It made the Academy afraid to not give it the Best Picture Oscar when that award should have gone to Brokeback Mountain. But pressure from outside political groups made sure that the Academy would chicken out for fear that giving Brokeback the Oscar would further strengthen the tired stereotype that Hollywood is full of satanical, leftist sodomites.

What people who love Crash can't understand about people who hate it has to do with the film's complete lack of anything original to say. I just know that Paul Haggis sat down one day in front of a word processor and made a pact with himself that the next movie he would make will win an Oscar and the best way to do that is to come up with something that people will be so afraid to hate that it will ostracize them from decent society.

Haggis: "Racism is bad."

Me: "Wow. Is that it? Is that all you had to say?"

Haggis: "Racism still exists today."

Me: "Yeah...duh. What else you got for me, Captain Obvious?"

Haggis: "Umm... Racism is bad."

So, Peter, thank you for having the guts to state something that few other critics have had the cajonés to point out. And to those who like this movie: I'm glad you like it. That's your opinion and it's wonderful that we live in a society where we all get our own. But if you want to argue the merits of this film to me and defend its Oscar, find another reason besides, "It's got such a powerful message!"
Old 11-01-2006, 10:26 AM

I completely agree. Crash was so overrated and certainly didn't deserve the Best Picture statute in any way shape or form. I still believe that Brokeback Mountain was the best film of last year.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Plus, it was a story set in LA/Hollywood and what Academy voter could not relate to this film and think "yes, that's the way it is aren't we profound?". Sort of the Sean Penn mindset.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Whilst I thought that Crash was very touching in places (mainly the bit with the little girl and her invisible shield), I did not think it deserved to win best picture. That accolade should have gone to Brokeback Mountain imo.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM

I don't think any of the films from last year deserved best picture. But that could be because I'm not a fan of politically involved movies like Crash and Brokeback. I prefer not to have to consider my stance on life and social issues when I go to the movie theater...that stuff is for the ballot box
Old 11-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Well I enjoyed both movies and although I thought "Brokeback" was the better film of the two, does anybody really care about which one got the oscar? I mean we're talking about a film award that's previously been won by "Shakespeare in Love" and "Gladiator".
Old 11-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
I prefer not to have to consider my stance on life and social issues when I go to the movie theater...that stuff is for the ballot box
I agree, I enjoyed Walk the Line and Munich more than the afore mentioned movies.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:04 AM

I think when it comes down to the movies released last year that King Kong should have been at least nominated for Best Picture, it was one of the top rated movies of the year and watching it you can't deny it was made by a master filmmaker.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMinded View Post
I think when it comes down to the movies released last year that King Kong should have been at least nominated for Best Picture, it was one of the top rated movies of the year and watching it you can't deny it was made by a master filmmaker.
That's assuming you can stay awake to the end.

Sorry to disagree but many of the reviews said it was too long. Don't get me started on the plot-holes, unexplained dialogue, that silly ice-skating nonsense, the awful CGI in the brontosaurus chase scene. Heck even PJ's official biographer referred to it as "self indulgent" on Parkinson yesterday.

Worthy of an oscar? No way!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:15 PM

The Oscars are the People's Choice Awards for the Hollywood Elite. This years snub of Brokeback Mountain was fueled by Hollywood's Homophobia and nothing else. I threw in the towel this year and gave up all interest and support for the Oscars. They have no meaning.