Jed, what going on with this place??? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27,915
Default Jed, what going on with this place???

this has been a great forum so far...very infomative, very fun, and some cool people. but lately.... what the hell is going on around here?

i'm sure you've read many threads, many post, and have probably shaken your head in disgust, amusement and awe, at some of the stuff that is posted in here. great site! but what the hell is going on here lately? what's the deal with people all of a sudden getting WAY sensitive. are these new "insider" threads really that huge of deal, to get so jealous, and bent out of shape?

now we have a new thread in the bd/hd dvd smackdown forum for "personal" stuff that can be handled via pm. i went into this thread writing that everyone is acting like cry babies. lol... 2 minutes later, my post is deleted, and i get a warning from hd ded that i am name calling. lol... no more gereralizing (sp) what has changed? why are people getting so upset? in the long run, isn't this just a MESSAGE BOARD, where people can talk to other people, learn stuff they didn't know and basicaly, just be a freaking message board? this is getting crazy. where does the jealousy, and envy end?

i don't have blu ray.... am i crying at all the post that say hd dvd is done for? i don't have a ps3 yet, am i crying that i can't play some of the games for that system yet? NO. i don't get it. this is all because some members around here have had sour grapes now for the last couple days, and should just grow up, and act like they've done a message board before.

what do you think?
  #2  
Old 03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
jed's Avatar
jed jed is offline
HDD Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,621
Default

miDnIghtEr -- We've closed the "personal" thread you mentioned in the Smackdown forum -- as I stated there, this forum is for discussion and debate directly related to the two formats, *not* discussion of other members.

As for what's happening this week, I think the lack of new releases on both formats this week has left us all with a little more time on our hands than usual...
  #3  
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
bear89103's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,873
Default

Midnighter is right. Both sides are just sounding desperate with all the useless driblle that both put out recently. It has all become on big pile of dung spouted out by what seems like 7 year olds arguing about who's twinkie has the most cream filling.

And no offense to you Jed, or the moderators here who have been doing a good job... as good a job as possible, but maybe, just maybe there needs to be more law and order around here. You give people an inch and they take a mile. Lots of people are pushing the envelope of what's acceptable in terms of personal attack versus a valid argumentative post. Hell, I'm even guilty of it as I've lost my temper at times on this forum. But what allows me to go there has always been a thought that this forum has more lax rules than a lot of other forums. While that's great in fostering a sense of openness of discussion, it also inevitably leads to a degrade of quality because people ultimately gravitates towards the lowest common denominator. Basically what I'm trying to say is that we act like savages because we can.

Hope I made my point clear. And again, this was not a post about questioning the moderators, rather questioning whether the interpretation and enforcement of the rules needs to be increased.
  #4  
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Bee's Avatar
Bee Bee is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear89103 View Post
Midnighter is right. Both sides are just sounding desperate with all the useless driblle that both put out recently. It has all become on big pile of dung spouted out by what seems like 7 year olds arguing about who's twinkie has the most cream filling.

And no offense to you Jed, or the moderators here who have been doing a good job... as good a job as possible, but maybe, just maybe there needs to be more law and order around here. You give people an inch and they take a mile. Lots of people are pushing the envelope of what's acceptable in terms of personal attack versus a valid argumentative post. Hell, I'm even guilty of it as I've lost my temper at times on this forum. But what allows me to go there has always been a thought that this forum has more lax rules than a lot of other forums. While that's great in fostering a sense of openness of discussion, it also inevitably leads to a degrade of quality because people ultimately gravitates towards the lowest common denominator. Basically what I'm trying to say is that we act like savages because we can.

Hope I made my point clear. And again, this was not a post about questioning the moderators, rather questioning whether the interpretation and enforcement of the rules needs to be increased.
I would like to add that not only should enforcement of the rules be increased, but applied more consistently. That is my biggest issue.
  #5  
Old 03-08-2007, 02:05 PM
bear89103's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I would like to add that not only should enforcement of the rules be increased, but applied more consistently. That is my biggest issue.
Absolutely! Sorry I forgot about constitency. You're absolutely right Bee.
  #6  
Old 03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
jed's Avatar
jed jed is offline
HDD Founder
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,621
Default

bear89103, I understand and appreciate your comments, and we are making efforts to improve the quality of discussion in the Smackdown area while keeping its initial goals intact, starting last week with a revised set of Smackdown rules, and more aggressive moderation of those boards in particular. As always, we're likely to stumble a bit with these new rules before we fly (and we've made our share of mistakes this past week), but ultimately I hope we're headed in a better direction.

Last edited by jed; 03-08-2007 at 02:29 PM.
  #7  
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM
bear89103's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
bear89103, I understand and appreciate your comments, and we are making efforts to improve the quality of discussion in the Smackdown area while keeping it's initial goals intact, starting last week with a revised set of Smackdown rules, and more aggressive moderation of those boards in particular. As always, we're likely to stumble a bit with these new rules before we fly (and we've made our share of mistakes this past week), but ultimately I hope we're headed in a better direction.
And I thank you for your continued efforts on such a difficult task.
  #8  
Old 03-08-2007, 03:23 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

Jed, I too would like to comment on what a great site this is, with good moderators and (mostly) friendly and helpul members. And to top it off the web design is much more aestheticlly pleasing than AVS. So, kudos on that.

However, I also agree with the above posts, some members just can't be civil. I refuse to take part in a converstion that has reverted to a 12-yr old's mentality, but it's annoying to see certain low-brow comments in amongst an otherwise interesting and informative thread. The new rules look great!!!

Thanks again for this great site though! It's the first message board that keeps me coming back!
  #9  
Old 03-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,381
Default

I only been here less than 2 months and when I first started it seam to be a lot of fun, but I believe because war has serious turn the other way - some people are obsessive with what is going and very defensive.

Just recently, I think it might be best to ignore the Smackdown forums themselves.
  #10  
Old 03-09-2007, 01:20 AM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
I only been here less than 2 months and when I first started it seam to be a lot of fun, but I believe because war has serious turn the other way - some people are obsessive with what is going and very defensive.

Just recently, I think it might be best to ignore the Smackdown forums themselves.

yea. i go to the Smackdown forums once in a blu moon. Besides that, its not even worth getting pissed about over something as minor in our life as the choice of "HD-DVD vs Blu-ray"
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Place to Place' & 'Student Council's Discretion' are coming March 24 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 03-16-2015 01:23 PM
About Jed's picture emilano Feedback 6 11-29-2006 08:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off