hi-jacking opposing formats thread in opposing areas - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-14-2007, 04:16 PM

Default hi-jacking opposing formats thread in opposing areas

I seen some case with opposing format fans are hijacking a thread with opposing thread info in threads in the opposing area.

I think this makes the discusison very messy especially when looking a reviews or discussing a movie or something.

I understand stand it important sometimes to discuss the difference of the two but a lot of time it get carry away and gets really messy.

Can anything be done to reduce this?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
I seen some case with opposing format fans are hijacking a thread with opposing thread info in threads in the opposing area.

I think this makes the discusison very messy especially when looking a reviews or discussing a movie or something.

I understand stand it important sometimes to discuss the difference of the two but a lot of time it get carry away and gets really messy.

Can anything be done to reduce this?
Do you mean that this is happening in the format specific areas? Then you should report them as smackdown in areas where it doesn't belong.

Be careful though, that if it is in response to a post that puts the other format down, then it encourages the other side to defend themselves - so it enters into a grey area which it probably would have been best to avoid in the first place. My feeling in either format area is when you go to any of the format specific forums, simply leave the other format and the format war in general at the door, and try to focus on sharing and gaining information relative to the format being discussed.

I think many people who go to either format forum does not want to hear about the war, they would rather just enjoy their respective formats.

I think we as moderators should also be careful about moving threads from the smackdown are into the software specific forums because we are in effect bring smackdown to them where it does not belong. This happened to day when I was trying to rename a smackdown thread to be more appropriate to the smackdown discussion under way, but while I was doing that the thread was moved to the Blu-ray software area where the discussion under way no longer really belonged.

Just my thoughts on this.

-Blurry
Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM

It is like this:

If there is a thread in the Blu-ray section and users are laying the smackdown on Blu-ray in that thread, it is against forum rules. The post should be reported and we will either edit and/or delete the offending posts or we may have to move the entire thread to the Smackdown section.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
My feeling in either format area is when you go to any of the format specific forums, simply leave the other format and the format war in general at the door, and try to focus on sharing and gaining information relative to the format being discussed.
Sometimes it's hard for people to 'leave HD DVD/ Blu-ray at the door' when the go into an area specific forum because we have dual format releases, and in some instances... films that shouldn't be dual format, but are available on both because of regions (for example, Reign of Fire is a Touchstone picture... but it can be imported from Japan).

We will do our best to make sure that there is no 'smacking' going on outside of the smackdown forums... but please feel free to use the 'Report Post' icon at the top of any post that you feel is breaking the rules.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post
Sometimes it's hard for people to 'leave HD DVD/ Blu-ray at the door' when the go into an area specific forum because we have dual format releases, and in some instances... films that shouldn't be dual format, but are available on both because of regions (for example, Reign of Fire is a Touchstone picture... but it can be imported from Japan).

We will do our best to make sure that there is no 'smacking' going on outside of the smackdown forums... but please feel free to use the 'Report Post' icon at the top of any post that you feel is breaking the rules.
Yes, I agree that it is difficult to entirely leave it at the door. I meant that as a rule of thumb.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:55 PM

I don't think topics should be move to smack down area if hijack, I specificly desired that hijacking is not allow. If reported - then thread entries that hijack are deleted.

This would allow toipics to go on with out some one interfering. one example of this is the following thread.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3305

It started out as Blu-ray thread - but end up with dicussions about HD DVD imports. even the title was changed. I think it would be nice to talk about the movie as Blu-ray with out being hi-jack with HD DVD imports.

It would be wrong to move it to smackdown, because this would mean that all some one has to do to get a thread out of a format - is hijack and then it will move to smackdown. It would be nice to be able to talk about something with out that happening.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:27 PM

One side note - it look like thread was merge into official thread. include all the smack down stuff. It would be really wrong to turn the thread into a smack down thread especially now.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
One side note - it look like thread was merge into official thread. include all the smack down stuff. It would be really wrong to turn the thread into a smack down thread especially now.
Yes, that is the one that I referred to that got created in the smackdown area, then got moved to the Blu-ray area and apparently ended up getting merged into the main Blu-ray thread. I was actually referring specifically to that thread that it should not have been moved to the Blu-ray area at all because the content was based on smackdown discussion. I had been working on renaming it to fit the smackdown area better when it got moved by someone else into the Blu-ray area where I think it no longer belonged.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Yes, that is the one that I referred to that got created in the smackdown area, then got moved to the Blu-ray area and apparently ended up getting merged into the main Blu-ray thread. I was actually referring specifically to that thread that it should not have been moved to the Blu-ray area at all because the content was based on smackdown discussion. I had been working on renaming it to fit the smackdown area better when it got moved by someone else into the Blu-ray area where I think it no longer belonged.

The problem is that it also includes the review link and looks officially done. But also include smack down stuff.

I relatively new to this forum, but I like its arrangement. because its nice in some areas for non bias fan type stuff - but its still fun to discuss the fan type stuff in specfiic area. Good tension reliever
Old 02-14-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
The problem is that it also includes the review link and looks officially done. But also include smack down stuff.
Ok, I have taken care of it. I moved all the smackdown discussions back into its own thread in the smackdown area. If you see such things happening in the future, let us know and we can take similar steps.

Quote:
I relatively new to this forum, but I like its arrangement. because its nice in some areas for non bias fan type stuff - but its still fun to discuss the fan type stuff in specfiic area. Good tension reliever
Yes, I agree. If we want heated debate then we can go to the smackdown section. If we just want to enjoy our format, then we sjhould be able to do so without having to hear all about the format war at the same time.