HD DVD Reviews Vs BD reviews. Why? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM

Talking HD DVD Reviews Vs BD reviews. Why?

I know BD movies took over long time ago in reference of new releases but why highdefdigest.com always make for every HD DVD movie 3 BD title reviews. The reviews of Phone Booth The Usual Suspects Planet of the Apes American Psycho Reservoir Dogs The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Bulletproof Monk were on time and that is what I love about this website that is always first in everything related to the HD DVD and BD camp but when you guys are going to review scorpion king, fearless and lucky number slevin. How the process is: highdefdigest.com needs to buy the movies or you need to wait until the companies send the movie. Do not tell me that Universal is giving you guys’ hard time like Toshiba is given to CNET lol (just kidding)

Let me clarify before everybody start accusing that I’m a fan boy etc….. I am only curious and how that work. Because those movies were out long time ago .
Old 02-07-2007, 03:29 PM

They don't review every Blu-ray movie either. Still no review for the Descent. That's the only one I'm aware of, I bet there's more.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM

There are many Blu-Ray not reviewed in the site and also right now with new release Blu-Ray's pretty much out number HD DVD 3:1. I remember when I first saw this site ( months before I joined ), it was pretty much the oposite.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
HDD Founder

In terms of why certain movies get reviewed before others, it depends on a number of factors: whether or not the studio has sent us the disc for review, which other discs are already in house (and which are likely to be of most interest), and yes, we do try to juggle things a bit so that there's a somewhat fair distribution between HD DVD and Blu-ray.

With so few HD DVD releases this past month, there have definately been many more Blu-ray reviews of late. But if you were to look at a list of discs we *haven't* reviewed yet, there are more Blu-rays there, too.

We will have some new reviewers on staff shortly, which should get us get caught up and be more complete moving forward. Our goal is to have reviews for all US released high-def movies, regardless of format... and we will continue to try to post 'em as soon as we can.

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited by jed; 02-07-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed View Post
In terms of why certain movies get reviewed before others, it depends on a number of factors: whether or not the studio has sent us the disc for review, which other discs are already in house (and which are likely to be of most interest), and yes, we do juggle things a bit so that there's a fair distribution between HD DVD and Blu-ray.

With so few HD DVD releases this past month, there have definately been many more Blu-ray reviews of late. But if you were to look at a list of discs we *haven't* reviewed yet, there are more Blu-rays there, too.

We will have some new reviewers on staff shortly, which should get us get caught up and be more complete moving forward. Our goal is to have reviews for all US released high-def movies, regardless of format... and we will continue to try to post 'em as soon as we can.

Hope this answers your question.
More than enough. Thanks
Old 02-09-2007, 12:09 PM

I have a question here. How many more Blu ray reviews will take to get at least one more of HD DVD? Have this website sided with the Blu ray camp? I start to wonder here?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
HDD Founder

Quote:
How many more Blu ray reviews will take to get at least one more of HD DVD? Have this website sided with the Blu ray camp? I start to wonder here?
Casper, we support both both formats with equal vigor. The reason you've seen more Blu-ray reviews recently is because there have been many more Blu-ray releases over the last six weeks than there have been HD DVD releases.

(see our historical release dates scheds for both formats to get a sense of the disparity in numbers:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rele...istorical.html
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/relea...istorical.html)

Look for new HD DVD reviews as new HD DVD discs are released. And as promised above, in the coming weeks we will be going back and reviewing the discs (from both formats) that we missed in November/December.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:10 PM

The reason for my post is to express my concerns. Although you say your position is to be neutral, the actions of this website indicates differently because of the priorities on the reviews. Example. You are reviewing Blu ray movies that are not out yet and leaving behing HD DVD movies that are already out. Please do not take this as a negative feedback as this is my primary website to look for HD DVD news and reviews.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
HDD Founder

Casper, no worries -- I understand your concern and take it at face value. At the same time, as long-time forum-members know, I'm quite sensitive to claims that our site favors one format over the other, so please indulge me as I explain why you're seeing what you're seeing on the site.

For better or for worse, when choosing discs to review, we prioritize new and/or upcoming releases over older releases that we missed. The reason for this is that while there's reader interest in all released discs, we've found that the new and upcoming releases are generally of more interest. So, given the choice, we favor new titles over old.

Right now we have several new and upcoming Blu-ray discs that have been sent to us for review, and no new or upcoming HD DVD discs. This is simply a reflection of the release slates for both formats -- there are many more currently Blu-ray titles scheduled than there are HD DVD titles. As I hinted in my earlier post, we're hyper-aware of this disparity, and so as a result when we've received new or upcoming HD DVD titles for review over the last month or so, they've immediately floated to the top of our list of discs for review -- as a format-neutral site, we don't like the look of an all Blu-ray reviews list on the front page any more than you do.

Finally, back to those older titles. As previously discussed, we do have a backlog of several titles on both formats from November and December (when the weekly release lists were quite long for both formats, and we weren't able to get to them all). As I mentioned earlier, we're bringing on some new reviewers to help get us caught up and hopefully assure that we don't fall behind again. I promise that we will post these older reviews in the coming weeks -- but as I stated above, there are more unreviewed Blu-ray titles on this list than there are HD DVD, so again it really can't be fairly argued that we favored Blu-ray in not reviewing these titles.