Format bashing in signatures - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Format bashing in signatures

I am less than a week as member of this forum and I notice someting very distrubing in this forum thread. There are memorys here that Bash other formats include hardware platforms and I thought that this site had a rule of no bashing except in the HD DVD vs Blu-Ray sections.

Maybe the bashing rule should applied to signatures also.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM

Signatures are a place you can use to let people know where you stand. It is acceptable to say that you like this format better than the other one, but when it just says "Blu-ray sucks" or "HD DVD looks like crap" it should probably not be aloud.

What do you other mods think?

hstewarth, if you see any sigs that are bashing a format please let us know and we will take a look at it. I wish we could see signatures in the Members List area like we can see avatars....
Old 02-01-2007, 03:36 PM

I am curious if it applies to Consoles also - that where I am seeing most of problems. But when it comes to HD drives - most people have them on consoles.

I have the same ones that you have. I don't hate the 360 either, I just think people should be fair on both systems. PS3 never seams to get a chance and assoicated Blu-Ray with Sony with wrong.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:43 PM

I enjoy the expression of personality, interests, and opinions that the forum signatures allow. If it crosses the line of explicit hateful speech or extreme personal attacks, then I think it would become a problem. But, unless that occurs why should anyone feel the need to censor the freedom of expression?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 PM

Nothing personal. I just think that signature against another product is offensive to people that are discussing the other product.

It doesn't matters if HD DVD or Blu-Ray, or XBox 360 or PS3.

Thats another reason I came here, because it does have areas where we can debate the formats seperately from where we can discuss the formats seriously with out being distracted by battles.

In todays forums on internet - I like the idea of rules on bashing.. because it puts some realitty into it. Too many times I wish to discuss something about some product and some body with competitor of product buts in a comfused the issue. AMD vs Intel and ATI vs NVidia are the typical examples.

Poeple have right to there opinion, but without the offence of others. Yes it is fun to debate products - that why I like the sererate area and long as not personal.

Last edited by hstewarth; 02-01-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Nothing personal. I just think that signature against another product is offensive to people that are discussing the other product.
It's just a signature though. Just because someone says something negative about the opposing format in their signature doesn't mean they still can't have a fair/logical discussion. Plus, signatures have nothing to do with the thread topic, it's just personal expression.

People can criticize my format of choice all they want in their sig, but as long as they keep things on topic and don't bash formats in forums other than smackdown it's fine with me. Plus, this is a HD DVD/Blu-ray forum, in the middle of a format war, it's not like it's unexpected
Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
It's just a signature though. Just because someone says something negative about the opposing format in their signature doesn't mean they still can't have a fair/logical discussion. Plus, signatures have nothing to do with the thread topic, it's just personal expression.

People can criticize my format of choice all they want in their sig, but as long as they keep things on topic and don't bash formats in forums other than smackdown it's fine with me. Plus, this is a HD DVD/Blu-ray forum, in the middle of a format war, it's not like it's unexpected
The problem is not in smackdown session, but when one discusses stuff in what the person thinks is the loosing format. I believe that Blu-Ray will win - but I also have a HD DVD drive. Would it be right for me to place a offensive signature in the HD DVD section when I have a question. The problem is signatures can be used to bash the other format when its not in the smackdown area. The sig is view in all session. If the forum allow for two signatures - one for the smackdown areas and another for everything else then it would be find.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

As long as the signature is not offensive I don't see anything wrong about expressing one's personal opinion for one side or the other.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:44 PM

im with hstewarth on this one, more so to the point of the console forum on the PS3 side has turned into a troll centeral. All you see is bashing and obvious attempts to piss off other users while hiding under the umberalla of "just reporting this". As far as the signatures go, i agree that there shouldnt be censoring but there also needs to be a little calm. This forum is already hostel enough, maybe people need to cool down a little.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well hopefully the only 'hostile' place you may encounter on the site is the Smackdown forum. If you are experiencing that elsewhere then please let the Mods know.