Bottom line - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Bottom line

How do you come up with the Bottom Line in the reviews?

Spider-Man: The High-Definition Trilogy (Blu-ray) and Carlito's Way (HD DVD) got the exact same average Spider Man got bottom line Worth a look while Carlito's Way got Highly recommended. Carlitos way also got half a star more in Overall grade for some reason.

Several examples just like this exists and it looks like it's always Blu-ray that get worse Bottom Line, why?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:21 PM
HDD Founder

Thanks for bringing this up. Two separate issues, but both worthy of discussion.

First of all, you're absolutely right that the overall score for the Spider-Man Trilogy was wrong. As we outline in our review methodology, unless otherwise indicated in a review, a 3.75 average should round up to 4.0 (and not 3.5). We've corrected this.

As for the bottom line, there's no consistent scale for what text should go there -- it's at each individual reviewer's discretion for each review, and is meant to convey their personal advice on whether or not a given disc is worthy. Often the overall score will help inform their decision (as it did with the 'Spider-Man Trilogy,' which has been upped to "recommended"), but a reviewer can choose any text they like to describe their personal bottom line on a disc, which is meant to boil down their "final thoughts" from the review to a one or two words.

You should notice similar "bottom line" inconsistencies for both formats.

For example, on the Blu-ray side, both 'Hostel: Part II' and 'Scary Movie' got three stars, but Hostel gets a "Fans Only" while Scary Movie got a "Worth a Look."

Similarly, on the HD DVD side, both 'The Wicker Man' and 'In Good Company' got three stars, but Wicker Man got a "Fans Only" while In Good Company got a "Worth a Look."

The other thing can't be stated often enough about scores (and reviews in general) is that by their very nature they are the subjective opinions of their authors. We've tried to be as transparent as possible in outlining the ways we ask our reviewers to approach their reviews, but make no mistake, there's nothing scientific about the disc reviews on our site (or any other, for that matter).
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Honestly, when writing the Carlito's Way review I did not give it one moment's thought to look at previous reviews on the site and try to match the star rating with a "Bottom Line" summary 1-to-1.

Carlito's Way is one of my favorite movies, and the disc has excellent picture and sound. That's highly recommended in my book, and would be the same had the disc been released on Blu-ray.

I would also point out, however, that the Spider-Man box set is much more expensive than a single-disc movie like Carlito's Way, and price will often play a role in whether a title is considered a rental, recommended, or highly recommended. Had Carlito's Way been priced at $60 or more, I would almost certainly have bumped down the recommendation, even though the quality of the disc would score the same star rating.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

I've pointed this out before, but according to the methodology, POTC:CotBP should be 5 stars overall.

The Movie Itself 4 out of 5
HD Video Quality 5 out of 5
HD Audio Quality 5 out of 5
Supplements 4 out of 5

totals 4.5

High-Def Extras 2 out of 5

Ad 0.5 (certainly the high-def game and a whole extra disc with extras deserves a .05 "or more" added).

4.5 + 0.5 = 5

Don't say cost played a factor because this two disc set's MSRP is lower than other single disc titles.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM

I see that both the number of stars and the bottom line has changed for Spider Man Trilogy. A box that cost like 2 movies but you get 3.1. Now both movies have the same number of stars but Spider Man gets Recommended while Carlito's Way gets Highly Recommended even if Spider Man is cheaper per movie.

Edit: And you have counted wrong before. Halloween for example that Peter M. Bracke gave 2.5 stars in Overall grade and Skip it as Bottom line should have 3 stars in Overall grade because it's average is 3...

Last edited by Merlins; 10-30-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM

You're reading far too much into this. The ratings, and especially the "Bottom Line" summary, are all subjective in nature.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
I see that both the number of stars and the bottom line has changed for Spider Man Trilogy. A box that cost like 2 movies but you get 3.1. Now both movies have the same number of stars but Spider Man gets Recommended while Carlito's Way gets Highly Recommended even if Spider Man is cheaper per movie.

Edit: And you have counted wrong before. Halloween for example that Peter M. Bracke gave 2.5 stars in Overall grade and Skip it as Bottom line should have 3 stars in Overall grade because it's average is 3...
Merlins,

I think you may have misread what Jed wrote. The number of stars and the "Bottom Line" are not connected. You can think of the Bottom Line as the reviews personal take on the movie. You may have a 5 star movie as far as PQ\AQ but it only gets a "recommended" as far as the Bottom Line goes or you may have a 4.5 movie that gets a Highly Recommended. As it has been stated it is all subjective this is NOT an HD DVD vs Blu-ray thing.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You're reading far too much into this. The ratings, and especially the "Bottom Line" summary, are all subjective in nature.
I wasn't primary talking about the Bottom line for Halloween. This is a quote from Jed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed
First of all, you're absolutely right that the overall score for the Spider-Man Trilogy was wrong. As we outline in our review methodology, unless otherwise indicated in a review, a 3.75 average should round up to 4.0 (and not 3.5). We've corrected this.
Halloween have the same error.

However, I have plenty of examples on this site there Blu-ray titles get worse Bottom Line compared to HD-DVD titles with either the exact same average or even worse average.

What exactly are I reading into this, Josh Z?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
Merlins,

I think you may have misread what Jed wrote. The number of stars and the "Bottom Line" are not connected. You can think of the Bottom Line as the reviews personal take on the movie. You may have a 5 star movie as far as PQ\AQ but it only gets a "recommended" as far as the Bottom Line goes or you may have a 4.5 movie that gets a Highly Recommended. As it has been stated it is all subjective this is NOT an HD DVD vs Blu-ray thing.
I read and totaly understud Jeds post. How does this defend worse Overall grade compared to the average? Why did the Bottom Line change?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:19 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlins View Post
I wasn't primary talking about the Bottom line for Halloween. This is a quote from Jed:

Halloween have the same error.

However, I have plenty of examples on this site there Blu-ray titles get worse Bottom Line compared to HD-DVD titles with either the exact same average or even worse average.

What exactly are I reading into this, Josh Z?

I read and totaly understud Jeds post. How does this defend worse Overall grade compared to the average? Why did the Bottom Line change?

I think what you are missing is that the overall score and the Bottom Line are not always connected. As Jed has said the overall score helps inform their decision, but it doesn't mean that it makes the decision. If a reviewer likes a movie more for instance you may see a lower scoring review get a better bottom line, and vice versa if the movie was horrible (to the reviewer), but the PQ\AQ\Extras were very good, you will probably see a bottom line that reflects this.

This isnt a thing were the site is purposely rating Blu-rays lower (mistakes happen and when they are pointed out they are corrected on BOTH sides). The Bottom Line is the reviewers overall recommendation of the movie, and sometimes the overall score and the bottom line wont be consistent because the reviewer liked the movie and feels it deserves a higher bottom line.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
I think what you are missing is that the overall score and the Bottom Line are not always connected. As Jed has said the overall score helps inform their decision, but it doesn't mean that it makes the decision. If a reviewer likes a movie more for instance you may see a lower scoring review get a better bottom line, and vice versa if the movie was horrible (to the reviewer), but the PQ\AQ\Extras were very good, you will probably see a bottom line that reflects this.

This isnt a thing were the site is purposely rating Blu-rays lower (mistakes happen and when they are pointed out they are corrected on BOTH sides). The Bottom Line is the reviewers overall recommendation of the movie, and sometimes the overall score and the bottom line wont be consistent because the reviewer liked the movie and feels it deserves a higher bottom line.
No, I haven't missed that the Bottom Line and the Overall Grade is not always connected. Read my posts again. Have you missed that the Overall Grade have been wrongly calculated on Spider-Man Trilogy and Halloween? Spider-Man have been corrected but Halloween has not.

Spider-Man:s bottom line got changed from "Worth a look" to "Recommended" after I posted this.

I have plenty of examples there Blu-ray movies have the exact same grade in all departments as a HD-DVD movies and get worse Bottom Line. I even have example there the Blu-ray movie gets more stars in one department and equal in the rest and still get worse Bottom Line than the HD-DVD version.

The Bottom Line is a bias verdict of the movies, somehow it's usually worse on Blu-ray titles no matter the stars in Movie, AQ, PQ or Supplements.

And Halloween is still wrong. It should have 3 stars in Overall Grade but it looks like Peter M. Bracke really wanted to bash the title. Does he have anything personally against it?