Does High Def Digest favor HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Does High Def Digest favor HD DVD?

This has been touched on before. We last talked about this when it came to how High Def Digest comes up with its AQ grades. (Is there defined criteria that is applied equally? It's a mystery.)

Now I have a question. How is it a press release from Paramount about Transformers sales makes front page news at HDD but a Reuters news report about HDM sales does not?

Here we have a third party analyzing sales data collected by another third party and coming to a conclusion. Maybe the headline was too offensive, "Blu-ray outsells HD-DVD in U.S. for first 9 months."

What gives?

Edit: For those who want to read the Reuters story, here's the link.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
O_o

It's not really news that HD DVD is selling so well, and is a viable competitor to BD. I think the news is fantastic. What are the current numbers, 2.2M Blu-ray capable devices versus several hundred thousand HD players? These are some fantastic numbers.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM

an article saying Blu-ray outsold HD DVD by 2:1 for the first 9 months of the year isn't news.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:34 PM

And yet it is news that the most highly anticipated, biggest box office HD-DVD exclusive sold rather well on HD-DVD? Come on you have to admit that its a bit of a double standard. Its not like there are 50 stories a day and they cant possibly display them all
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
It's not really news that HD DVD is selling so well, and is a viable competitor to BD.
This Friday's numbers will determine that. I don't see how ONE success story on a week with few Blu-ray releases would make a format viable. If Paramount was so confident in Transformers, release it on Spidey week. That would have been fun.

Quote:
I think the news is fantastic. What are the current numbers, 2.2M Blu-ray capable devices versus several hundred thousand HD players? These are some fantastic numbers.
The HD DVD fans have told us not to count the PS3 because very few people actually use it for movies.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
And yet it is news that the most highly anticipated, biggest box office HD-DVD exclusive sold rather well on HD-DVD? Come on you have to admit that its a bit of a double standard. Its not like there are 50 stories a day and they cant possibly display them all
Ill be sure to point out how hypocritical this post is when HDD covers sales of POTC and SPidey 3.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
transformers is a huge story, blowing away the previous record, showing the depth of support for HDDVD, far in advance of most peoples expectations.

The reuters report is meaningless, everyone knows the sales ratio roughly and has been confirmed by several parties such as videoscan repeatedly.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguy View Post
an article saying Blu-ray outsold HD DVD by 2:1 for the first 9 months of the year isn't news.
It's not NEW news for those following the war closely, but it is for the casual to non-follower. It made front page in the technology section on My Yahoo news.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Oh my gosh, this is pretty much the most unbiased site. Period.

Did the article just come out today? If so, then they'll probably put it on the front page later. This is not a real-time news organization. One of the site operators will post it when they get to it.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazie View Post
The reuters report is meaningless, everyone knows the sales ratio roughly and has been confirmed by several parties such as videoscan repeatedly.
And everyone didn't know Transformers was going to be a big seller? I smell double standards.

Again, you can't judge what "everyone" based on your universe. It is far easier to believe most people do not follow the war as closely as you and I. Many probably do not frequent these forums and simply read the headline articles.

The fact is a press release take precedence over a real news story by a news agency, and that is troubling.