Mods/Powers that be: What does this mean when I click on a thread? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM

Default Mods/Powers that be: What does this mean when I click on a thread?

When I use Firefox and I click on a thread to open it and read it, I get a pop up that says "PHP file" and asks me what I want to do with it. It won't let me into the thread. This has happened constantly over the last couple days.
So I go into IE and try it and I have no issues. everything works fine.
So why am I getting this PHP thing? I've just never seen this before.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
HDD Founder

I personally haven't a clue. Is anyone else seeing this? If so, plse chime in!
Old 10-14-2007, 09:55 AM

I used to get that with Firefox, altho much more often at the AVSForum. It seems to have gone away with the last update - Version 2.0.0.7. I think it happened more web a site was really busy, but check that you have the latest version of Firefox.

And, rather than start a new thread - the reason I came into Feedback: What I have been getting the last few days on pages that display that Circuit City "Win an HDTV" ad - a whole new Window pops open trying to access the Circuit City site. It's really annoying - anyone else getting this? I think it may be caused by my Flashblock add-in that blocks animated Flash objects unless I specifically click them to activate.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:01 PM

I do have the latest version of FF - 2.0.0.7
I'm still not sure what could be the cause. Nobody else is having this problem using FF? Must be something in my setup?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:22 AM

I've seen this issue, the browser essentially does not recognize the file type *.php, so it's prompting you and asking what do I do with this file. For example *.txt files are usually associated with a text file editor, so when you double click the a file with a *.txt extension the association launches the default program, in this case notepad for windows, to open the file. This particular issue is odd because a PHP extension is returned with HTML, umm, what is it called, content-type, so by association it should open it up in firefox. Most, likely this is a browser issue that you can fix in the option setting.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
When I use Firefox and I click on a thread to open it and read it, I get a pop up that says "PHP file" and asks me what I want to do with it. It won't let me into the thread. This has happened constantly over the last couple days.
So I go into IE and try it and I have no issues. everything works fine.
So why am I getting this PHP thing? I've just never seen this before.
Not sure if you are still having issues. Have you tried reinstalling Firefox? I am wondering if you may have an extension or add-on that might have messed with Firefox. I am currently using it and haven't had any issues with it. It could have been something as simple as a theme or something that caused this. I would definately try reinstalling Firefox and see what happens.