Suggestion: international software forum - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Suggestion: international software forum

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a sub-forum to discuss titles released outside of North America. For example, there is one such forum on dvdtalk and it is successful and very useful.

Many people from Europe have been importing DVDs for years, from America, Japan, Korea, Australia and other countries. Sometimes a movie has not been released at all in their territory. Sometimes the picture, audio, extras or packaging are better elsewhere. Sometimes they are simply much cheaper. Region coding was never really a problem and European TVs have been supporting 50 and 60 Hz frame rates for years.

Comparatively fewer Americans have imported DVDs because regionfree players were very thin on the ground, and frame rate posed a problem with mainstream displays. With the arrival of players like the famous Oppo (which can be made regionfree painlessly and converts frame rates) and multi-frequency displays, this trend reversed somewhat recently.

Now I expect many enthusiasts to shop worldwide for their hidef movies.

As you might know, all movie HD DVDs and BDs will have the same frame rate, regardless of where they are published (unlike SD DVD, which had 50 and 60 Hz).

Also, HD DVD is not region-coded at the moment. Blu-ray is, but it seems the movies released so far have not been region-coded.

Hence, if a movie you like is not released on your hidef format in a country but it is in another, you might be interested to know it.

However, if this discussion takes place in the "main" forum, it might get drowned in the midst of all the "domestic" threads. That's why I think one or two separate forums should be a good idea.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I’ve had similar thoughts, especially as this sites non-US userbase grows. I for one have a mixture of mainly R1, R2 and R3 disks.

I imagine this will continue with HD-DVD and at some point I’m likely to have both R1 and R2 BD players.

Good suggestion, although it may be a bit too early right now to introduce it?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
HDD Founder

Great suggestion, Grubert. I agree that we should have such a forum. I also thought Tejstar's point about it maybe being too early was a good one, especially as I see a couple of our forums getting little-to-no use in these early days.

Which leads me to a more general question -- do you all think it's better to have more forums (with fewer threads) or fewer forums (with more threads)?

We've got a lot of forums now -- my hope is that eventually those less trafficked forum areas will find their audience (and if not, we can always shut them down), but what do you think? Should we keep adding new forums as appropriate (such as in this case) and see where they go, should we wait til they've proven to be frequent topics on our existing forums, or conversely should we think about compressing merging some of the existing forums to keep the number a bit more manageable (for instance, should the review forums be merged with software discussion for each format)?

Thanks as always for your thoughts...
Jed
Old 10-20-2006, 03:34 AM

You're both probably right. Better to wait a while.

In the meantime, when I find an overseas piece of information, I'll tag it as [INT-**], where ** is the two-letter ISO code for the appropriate country (FR for France, DE for Germany, etc.).

It would look like this: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=220
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

I like your idea Grubert, I’ll use that when talking of non-US releases.

Jed – I believe, at the beginning, it’s better to have fewer forums with more threads. As this gets unwieldy then you can create ‘sub’ folders. However, I think the number of forums are fine as things stand and we should really wait a while until we see how the forums progress – it’s still very early days yet…
Old 10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
HDD Founder

Thanks to you both for your thoughts and Grubert -- I love your [INT-**] solution for now... I'm personally looking forward to reading more international high-def news.