New rule about "news stories" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Default New rule about "news stories"

I'd like to propose a new rule against the posting of "news" and other "information" that has no semi-reputable source. Stories such as "According to my brother who works at Walmart, ___ paid ___ $___ million dollars to adopt only their format!" or "___ will go [side] exclusive obv !!1!11!!!!" have no purpose other than to inflame one side or the other, and constitute a misinformation war that benefits no one. And I'm not even talking about threads that report what someone who might actually know something reportedly said.

I realize that some of this is covered by the rule against "Opinion based" threads, but what we have now is people passing off opinions as facts or reputable information, which isn't completely specified in the language against opinion based threads.

Furthermore, these sorts of threads spawn more threads where people discuss the reactions and potential effects of the fabricated story.

They just remind me of the rumors that used to start in the girls' bathroom in high school. The only purpose of those was to make someone look bad or further oneself by putting the other down.

I'd suggest something like automatic warnings for people who start these kinds of threads, with harsher penalties when the offense is repeated, especially by the same poster.

Last edited by Aurora; 08-22-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Former Member

This crap has been bugging me the last couple days as well. They are nothing but "225 million for WB, there'll be no more neutral studios, X and X will have to go neutral!!!!" which contradicts the entire "no longer having neutral studios" comment.

The Paramount deal broke open the conspiracy theory floodgates, and now EVERY STUDIO is being said to "be considering doing this and that" by people who are just throwing darts in the air, not at the dartboard.

Everyone is just stirring up the pot, in EVERY forum section possible, not just hte smackdown. There is NO peaceful discussion going on about any upcoming releases, tech specs, reviews, every thread is Paramount this, exclusive that, neutral who?, and so on. There has to be a point where logic prevails and enough becomes enough.

Of course, I don't make the rules, have no say on the rules, and will not say in any way this site has done x or y wrong. I'm happy to have a free site of this caliber. So let's not just say love it or leave it. But will there be an end to the sillyness of the last few days, and the fervor and "rumors" and "inside sources" that are nothing but someone eating paint chips stroking their chosen formats' ego?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

I agree with the OP.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:30 PM

Yeah, it is frustrating. Its funny though these posts end up 20+ pages long by the end of the day.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Former Member

because idiocy attracts arguement.