Getting Server Errors on the Forums? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Getting Server Errors on the Forums?

Is it just me? I keep getting these errors on the forums (the main site seems alright).

Quote:
Bad RequestYour browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
It's just when I refresh pages after they've been open for a few minutes (to see if anyone has replied), or after I try to send in a reply. The site seems to up down more than up in my experience, for the last couple/few days or so.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Hey, Shadow. Yeah, we've been having a few vBulletin issues the last week or so. Our IT dept has added them to a list of fixed, but they're a little behind at the moment with other sites. Sorry for the extra hassle, but hopefully the forums will be more stable shortly.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Hi, Shadow. Slight update for you.

Given our problems earlier this year, I assumed your issues were related, but my team did a little digging and didn't recover any server error alerts for our site. So, while we can't rule out an issue on our end, have you tried clearing your browser's cache?

I started getting 502 errors late last week and clearing my browser's cache seems to have cleared up the issue for me.

Cheers,
Palmer
Old 07-02-2019, 09:41 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I have seen Cloudfare errors, but none over the past few days. Cloudfare of course is a cache server on HDD's end.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM

It has been fine, back to normal, for the past few days for me as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:36 AM

Spoke to soon, got an error again. It does seem to be implying that it's a problem on my end, 400 error, but it only seems to happen on this site. A CTRL+F5 page refresh doesn't do anything either.

Possibly the server doesn't like it if I'm using a lot of bandwidth on other things, causing pages to load slower, though the forums seem to give up really quickly and remain inaccessible for a while thereafter.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Yeah, it turns out the situation is a little more complex than we estimated earlier...

The forums have a few vBulletin bugs as mentioned, which we hope to fix shortly.

AND earlier this week the company Cloudflare had an issue that impacted our site and many others (they do our DNS and security), but this is resolved.

AND a few of us are experiencing the error you experienced. The challenge with diagnosing and fixing this one is that it's intermittent and not affecting all users. However, it does seem to be browser dependent. I'm not sure how you're set up. But when the issue happens, I get locked out of the Forums on Chrome (which I am using right now), but switching to Safari lets me in. However, other employees can access Chrome with no trouble at all. Still, if you're having problems, a browser switch might help you as well.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Yeah, I use Firefox exclusively (gotta have dem extensions and stuff). I'm on Firefox 64 bit, specifically 67.0.4.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Any word on this getting resolved? I'm STILL having issues. Very annoying to have to rush looking around and posting (and almost inevitably having post(s) fail. Whenever it stops playing nice I can't come back for a good while (hours in my experience) before I can access the forums again.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Hey, Buddy. Raised the issue with the IT dept again this AM and hopefully they'll have more bandwidth to investigate.

The only fix, for me at least, has been using a different browser for the forums. I'm normally a Chrome user, but hop onto Safari for HDD Forum posting.

Cheers.