Is this site on the way out? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Default Is this site on the way out?

Obviously trying to kill it off with these aggressive survey boxes that
block the screen so much I can't even type in this box all the way to the
right. Does anyone other than the mods (who want to keep their jobs)
answer these annoyances? I never have. I don't even read 'em.

And logging in took so many attempts that I got this message:

Wrong username or password. You have used up your failed login quota! Please wait 15 minutes before trying again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

The survey box, I clicked the little down arrow and it has remained muted since I did that last week. With revenue streams drying up, a site has to find other means, and I'm sure the survey is one such. I cannot answer this particular survey, my answer isn't on the list. I'm not willing to pay $999-1999 for a smart phone and that's the lowest price point listed. But in the past, when I have answered the survey, I just wish it would remember I did, and stop bugging me. But the arrow to mute it seems to work anyways even in that situation.

As far as login attempts. I have not personally had the issue. Matter of fact, my browser has left me connected for probably a solid year now. When I do things as a mod, I'm still required to login but that's expected.
Have you had failed login attempts, thus the lock out? Am sure the tech people would like to hear your story.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:34 PM

Being a software developer I was able to write an app which displays the Forum perfectly. Minus all ads, social networking buttons and the blue survey box. Only problem is the newly designed parts of the web page display horribly.

Yea, the blue box popped up so quick I could not even tab to the login textboxes since the focus was lost and I was using the Enter key to transmit but either the username or password was incomplete. I see nobody is posting much of anything now (except mods). May as well just shut the site down at this point. It was useful to me to find new releases but maybe not finding them will save me some money.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

If you snapshot the site, such as right this second, 829 users online. 14 members and 815 guests. Posting news and such still gets an audience, and people hopefully use our links to purchase.

Anyway, this is the weekend, give it a few days for someone other than me to respond.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Hi, Cupboy. I'll pass along your comments about the surveys. I've repeatedly asked for them to be killed, and will do so again, but our parent company does some wonky things. I'm also not sure what to say about your login situation, as I've never experienced this as a 9-year forum member, but I'll also pass that along.

As for your suggestion that we shut the site down because the forums are less popular, no thank you. With over 1Million readers per month, High-Def Digest is doing just fine.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Cupboy, has this login issue happened more than once? I can take a look on the backend.

I know that our tech team has fixes coming up. They are just very regimented (ie. This sprint we do this, next sprint we do that, etc).
Old 10-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Thanks for looking into that, Joel.

Cupboy, I talked to the team about the surveys and they looked into it; someone had the settings wrong and they should be toned down, if not fully gone, now. Cheers.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:42 PM

Amazingly, I have not seen one of those popup surveys today.