Is there a big flaw with HDD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Is there a big flaw with HDD?

It's entirely possible that I'm not reading the main page of HDD correctly, so I may have only myself to blame, but in the weekly new-release section 4K discs are never displayed. I can't understand that.

Perhaps only standard Blu-rays are to be a part of this section, but if so, where is the weekly release area for UHD releases? And why should it be so hard to get to? Yes, we can get reviews of the more popular UHD movies in the review section, and from there we might get release dates, but this sometimes doesn't encompass every UHD that's being released for the week.

I would ask members here to either show me where I'm making my mistake in perusing the site, or ask HDD moderators to look into this.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:49 PM

On the front page both the Blu Ray and 4K Ultra-HD sections have their own respective release dates sections in the dropdown.

If you're talking about the Upcoming Releases in the bottom, there are links to both BD and 4K upcoming releases in the that too.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Hi, ADW,

All 4K release dates can be found by clicking, at the top of most of our pages, 4K ULTRA HD --> RELEASE DATES. (Here in the Forum, you click RELEASE DATES --> ULTRA HD.)

I hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Hi, ADW,

All 4K release dates can be found by clicking, at the top of most of our pages, 4K ULTRA HD --> RELEASE DATES. (Here in the Forum, you click RELEASE DATES --> ULTRA HD.)

I hope that helps.
Hi Palmer. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my request for help. In regard to your comments, finding the release date(s) for current and future UHD releases, the method you've given me will of course work. But with no disrespect meant, I have to wonder if this might be a process that should be entirely unnecessary. Why not just list the current-week UHD releases on the front page along with that week's Blu-ray releases, negating the extra step?

Please understand that newcomers to your site may not know the steps needed to peruse UHD new-releases for the current week. (And in this regard I'm only talking about the current week, not future releases.) They should be able to easily scroll down the screen to your new-release section and find current-week releases for Blu-ray and UHD, grouped together. You may note that your previous design did exactly that, proving that newer is not always better.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:06 AM

I miss the old site too.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
I miss the old site too.
Uh yeah, ever since the review section was reformatted it has been a complete mess. All the screenshots are completely screwed up on old reviews. The only reviews that seem to work properly are the newer 4k reviews, but if you like to browse old reviews sometimes, prepare for the zany.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Uh yeah, ever since the review section was reformatted it has been a complete mess. All the screenshots are completely screwed up on old reviews. The only reviews that seem to work properly are the newer 4k reviews, but if you like to browse old reviews sometimes, prepare for the zany.
What era of reviews are you seeing missing photos?

Something happened to our photo servers for a stretech, circa 2012-2013 reviews, but that's unrelated to the new site change, and doing a casual look back from 2018-2014, and even older 2010 reviews this AM, I don't see any missing screenshots. Any additional details could help me report the problem, thanks.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
What era of reviews are you seeing missing photos?

Something happened to our photo servers for a stretech, circa 2012-2013 reviews, but that's unrelated to the new site change, and doing a casual look back from 2018-2014, and even older 2010 reviews this AM, I don't see any missing screenshots. Any additional details could help me report the problem, thanks.
Well it could be any random review from what I find. I like to come here and read reviews of movies I just watched, just for fun, even if I've read the reviews before. Take for instance, last night we watched A History of Violence https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/188...yviolence.html

This is on my computer, maybe I don't have the settings correct, but: First, the banner at the top is extremely zoomed in and pixelated. Second, the scan of the bluray case is not even in hi-res. Third, all the screenshots are present, but they are not in hi-res and are pixelated, also they are smaller and look generally like very old school digital camera pictures (think an upgrade from Gameboy camera resolution). Lastly, the pricing info/Amazon link of the purchase option has a deformed/squished picture of the bluray case.

Hope you see the same thing I do, and I hope that info helps. I see this all over the review section.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Well it could be any random review from what I find. I like to come here and read reviews of movies I just watched, just for fun, even if I've read the reviews before. Take for instance, last night we watched A History of Violence https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/188...yviolence.html

This is on my computer, maybe I don't have the settings correct, but: First, the banner at the top is extremely zoomed in and pixelated. Second, the scan of the bluray case is not even in hi-res. Third, all the screenshots are present, but they are not in hi-res and are pixelated, also they are smaller and look generally like very old school digital camera pictures (think an upgrade from Gameboy camera resolution). Lastly, the pricing info/Amazon link of the purchase option has a deformed/squished picture of the bluray case.

Hope you see the same thing I do, and I hope that info helps. I see this all over the review section.
Thanks for the feedback, MB. And good news, you're not crazy.

This issue with this review, and other older reviews from this era, is two fold. 1) Back then, HDD writers mostly loaded in small (I think 235 width) images for our reviews. It was the same for Bluray cover art (195 width). They didn't look great before the site revision, TBH, because they were never high res. But 2) in the new site template, those images also get upscaled, which makes them look low extra res (which, of course, they are).

I've been bugging my bosses to get the last few bugs worked out, with a big focus on images. One of the new fixes, coming hopefully in early October, will be an image resizer that hopefully prevents low-res files from getting distorted because, unfortunately, it's sadly not worth our time to swap out the screengrabs of every review because there are too many reviews and old reviews don't get a lot of attention.

I hope that makes some sense. Cheers.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
First, the banner at the top is extremely zoomed in and pixelated.
They all look like that. Can we get rid of that banner? I don't know what the thinking was of putting it there in the first place. There's not one single page on the entire site where that banner looks good.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.