Marked as read not sticking/remembered - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 PM

Default Marked as read not sticking/remembered

I have this problem on another forum and they know it's them, so I've been surprised that this week the Mark as Read flags are not sticking here.

Several times today and yesterday I was in a forum, clicked "Mark Forum as Read" and then came back a few hours later and items previously marked are no longer marked as read.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:35 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I might have seen same thing. As always it is probably a cookies issue but IONO.
There are threads I have actually read and come back later and they show up as new.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:46 AM

As a test I just marked ALL forums as read at 7:45AM ET so let's see.
It's also not cookies since the marked as read should be kept on the server side, that's how they stay marked as read on different computers/devices.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I think the problem is related to my previously mentioned problem.
I can come back to the forums a day later and click the little icon for reading new messages in a given thread - the message comes up that is timestamped today but I can scroll back several messages and see more messages from today. So why did it not pull focus to those messages first? I clearly had not read them. In a busy thread I could potentially miss several pages of discussion if I trust the read new messages button.

I would imagine the only true and 100% accurate way is to use the logout function and then login when you return. Would be worth an experiment to see what happens but I don't think that would bring us any closer to a solution. As a mod I have to review every thread, even if I don't have any interest in the topic so when I read ALL messages the message pointer should be more accurate.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:42 AM

I was in late last night after midnight (ok technically this morning) and marked the threads in my 3 usual forums as read, did not sign out since that should not ever be required, and logged in now 8 hours later from the same PC and those 3 forums reset themselves to say that items from yesterday afternoon were again showing as not read.

This is a new behavior from HDD, it never did this before, whereas I have another forum that always has this problem, and clearly many more that never do it.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

When this thread catches the eyes of support, what browser are you using?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:27 AM

At home it's always Firefox, so that last post was Firefox to Firefox sessions.
At work it's Chrome thanks to IT breaking Firefox
Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
At home it's always Firefox, so that last post was Firefox to Firefox sessions.
At work it's Chrome thanks to IT breaking Firefox
I am pretty sure I am seeing the same issue as you and I currently have FF 42. I have been slowly updating 1 version a month (or so) til I get to the one that is broken. Somewhere in there FF has a version that I can't seem to stay logged into sites for more than 2-3 days.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 AM

I'm current on FF with 49, I have never had an issue staying logged in, I'm logged in for months without being asked to relog in on sites.