Social Media Plugin? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Social Media Plugin?

Not to sound negative or ungrateful for the services provided here, but...
Am seeing another change that to some may be great, to others (including myself) added clutter to even downright annoying.

You got the large buttons up top for sharing via various media outlets.

At the lower right you keep getting a popup for "Get Disc Reviews and News" etc that either must be ignored or closed. Would not be so bad but it pops up on practically every page.

Have found a workaround on the latter, go to the Blog first and select "logout from my facebook account," but doing this also means extra steps-one to visit here with less clutter, two to have to relogin once visiting facebook.

Who made the decision to add this "feature" to this site? Other similar sites are not cluttering the screen with this extra noise.
Raise of hands here for anyone that likes this??

[Edit]Thought I had found a fix... : (
Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Not to sound negative or ungrateful for the services provided here, but...
Am seeing another change that to some may be great, to others (including myself) added clutter to even downright annoying.

You got the large buttons up top for sharing via various media outlets.

At the lower right you keep getting a popup for "Get Disc Reviews and News" etc that either must be ignored or closed. Would not be so bad but it pops up on practically every page.

Have found a workaround on the latter, go to the Blog first and select "logout from my facebook account," but doing this also means extra steps-one to visit here with less clutter, two to have to relogin once visiting facebook.

Who made the decision to add this "feature" to this site? Other similar sites are not cluttering the screen with this extra noise.
Raise of hands here for anyone that likes this??

[Edit]Thought I had found a fix... : (
You guys, come on. I'll say what Krawk wouldn't. This is dogshit. At the very least, get rid of that huge slider at the bottom right. The stuff at the top is tacky, doesn't jive with your site design, and looks cheap - and I can live with it if you get rid of the thing at the bottom, but is that really what you want?
Old 08-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Thanks Badger3920, I would hope that they would not frown upon my full honest opinion when posted in this Forum but you sum it up rather quickly, the Slider is the worst aspect of it. I found an alternate means to get rid of the buttons. Perhaps examining the web code a little more I can figure out the slider as well, of which I did not notice today.

We should come with a standard disclaimer and that our opinions do not necessarily reflect HDD or IB but I still have to show some restraint, even if I was not a mod as it is not me to lash out against our hosts.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Administrator

I'm not seeing the slider you're talking about. Can you screen shot it?
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I'm not seeing the slider you're talking about. Can you screen shot it?
I have not seen it all day myself - the ones that decided to implement this must have temporarily turned it off. Perhaps to reconfigure or something.

Either that or whatever I did to stop the media buttons from showing up also blocked the slider. I can undo what I did and see if it's still there.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Okay, disabled Firewall temporarily, loaded other browser and here it is sir, I still haven't figured out how to get around the image resizing thing but the slider is on lower right of jpeg. I know if you right click it and view image it will show up bigger for you but not FULL size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5022[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Social Media Plugin?-slider.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Pop up video ad on the top left, too?
Common on, stop this sh*t!
Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Top left & bottom right...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5024[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Social Media Plugin?-stop-copy.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Out of curiosity what is the one on the top left? Looks like a video player but is it for something else on this site or an ad? I see the video covers up the media buttons as well.
In my example above, above the "Get Social" blurb there is a black box there, possibly where the video was going to load?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
Out of curiosity what is the one on the top left? Looks like a video player but is it for something else on this site or an ad? I see the video covers up the media buttons as well.
In my example above, above the "Get Social" blurb there is a black box there, possibly where the video was going to load?
It played an ad. It was muted. I could unmute it to hear
the ad, but it wouldn't go away. Clicking on it opened a
window/tab to the ad's webpage.

It doesn't show up now. Hope that was the last of it.

Thank you, HDD.