Bring back Josh Z, Ken Brown and Peter Bracke - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 AM

Default Bring back Josh Z, Ken Brown and Peter Bracke

I miss their reviews.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

Josh Z writes new content in our site's blog every single day.

Ken Brown has taken a job elsewhere, and Peter Bracke has retired from disc reviewing.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Peter Bracke just did The Deer Hunter review.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Peter Bracke just did The Deer Hunter review.
That part is just taken from his HD DVD review. David did the rest of the technical portions.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
That part is just taken from his HD DVD review. David did the rest of the technical portions.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Hey, when are you going to recap last nights Walking Dead episode on The Bonus View?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Hey, when are you going to recap last nights Walking Dead episode on The Bonus View?
quick non-official recap: the show just done F***ed up some of the best stories in the comics. the show sucks.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I'm done with it. Should be up today or tomorrow.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Hey, when are you going to recap last nights Walking Dead episode on The Bonus View?
Aaron just submitted his recap. It will run tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
quick non-official recap: the show just done F***ed up some of the best stories in the comics. the show sucks.
I recently read the comic up to the point where the show is at now. Frankly, I think the comic is really badly written. I like the show better.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Default The Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Josh Z writes new content in our site's blog every single day.
Have you guys considered, or tossed around ideas, somehow figuring out a way to combine or blend the blog more into the rest of the website? We have a front news page that updates a couple times a day. We also have a forums section where people discuss that news, bring other news from outside the site, and so forth. The blog sort of duplicates that with quasi-news and OpEd, and community feedback

The blog seems to be its own bubble and, although I'm a very frequent visitor to this site (several times daily) - I completely forget the blog is there. It's like one of those total after thoughts that I only remember when I see someone mention it (usually Josh), or when there aren't any interesting threads to read and I see the "Blog" button at the top. While that may be my own fault, that translates to maybe two clicks a year from me, a guy landing on the front page ~1000 times a year. Also, once there, I'm unsure who people are because there is no continuity insofar as forum handles go, so I'm less interested in engaging in discussion.

The blog seems to reproduce what the rest of the site is already doing, except for in it's own bubbled off atmosphere. I just clicked on it, and it looks like you guys put a lot of effort into it. I could be totally wrong, but based on my own experience, I think perhaps this site fails to capitalize on that effort. We have a lot of people on this site that post a lot of things, but a lot of blog posts with 0 or nearly zero comments. There is little encouragement to travel from this site to its blog, and as far as I can tell, it's impossible to click anywhere on the blog to get back to this site.

I cant scientifically say it's a wasted opportunity, because I don't know what sort of aim the site has with the blog or how much traffic it generates - but given the amount of effort that looks to go into it, I'd think it deserves more than some discrete tab at the top with a generic and off-putting name like "HD Blog", and then a blog landing page that returns that sort of treatment by making it impossible to navigate back to the site.

My two cents anyway
Old 03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Whereas the main page of the site is mostly focused on Blu-ray news and reviews, the blog is more focused on opinion pieces and coverage of other topics (like TV and general movie stuff). While there may be some overlap, the intent is to provide a different slant on the topic.

Your point is well taken that there needs to be better integration between the blog and main site. We have discussed this internally, but getting our corporate owners to approve changes to the main page takes time. With that said, I will point out that the main page has not only an "HD Blog" tab, but also a big Bonus View button in the righthand column, and the blog has a big "Click Here to Return to High-Def Digest" button.