Reviewers' Audio Systems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Reviewers' Audio Systems

I'm just curious how some of the reviewers post their opinions on how well an audio track is if their audio system is far from HiFi? It seems pointless for their opinions on a lot of the audio tracks posted in the reviews. Some of them claim that an audio track lacks fidelity and range. How would they even know if there speakers can't reproduce the track to its full extent? I don't mean to sound elitist but how can you call yourself a reviewer if your equipment is sub par to actually test it with. If you go through the reviewers equipment page many of them have HTIB setups and they think that's okay to give an honest review from. It's kind of a joke.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Former Member

you lost me right when you said:

how can you call yourself a reviewer.

you can say "i don't mean to..." but that doesn't excuse it when you DO do it.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

This is HDD here, not Widescreen Review.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
This is HDD here, not Widescreen Review.
So you're equating this sites' reviewers as amateurs versus the professionals at WSR?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

^ No, but you are! :biggrin:
Old 11-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
^ No, but you are! :biggrin:
It has nothing to do with there reviewing skills. It has to do with the tools they use to do it with.

Its not all of the reviewers just some.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:47 PM

No one agrees or disagrees?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'm just curious how some of the reviewers post their opinions on how well an audio track is if their audio system is far from HiFi? It seems pointless for their opinions on a lot of the audio tracks posted in the reviews. Some of them claim that an audio track lacks fidelity and range. How would they even know if there speakers can't reproduce the track to its full extent? I don't mean to sound elitist but how can you call yourself a reviewer if your equipment is sub par to actually test it with. If you go through the reviewers equipment page many of them have HTIB setups and they think that's okay to give an honest review from. It's kind of a joke.
It depends on what specific equipment that you have an issue with. Simply saying something is a HTiB and therefore is not capable of reproducing the full audio range is not actually a realistic statement.

If someone is really trying to get accurate audio, then a room which is of decent design with some well placed acoustical treatments can have a far better impact on audio quality than changing the speakers or the subwoofer in the system can.

Moreso, a A/V receiver is typically one of the least impactful pieces of gear in the system. As long as it has clean audio and gives enough power for the speakers in use, then it will do a solid job of audio reproduction.

I've got a fairly nice setup, but I certainly have heard systems which are well under $1,000 which produce very good sound for the room that they are in and are able to deliver the full audio frequency response within that space to show differences between good audio and poor audio.

Since, we really are talking about the difference between good audio and poor audio, it is this level of distinction that matters and can't merely be determined by a casual reading of the equipment in use.

If there is something specific you want to address, then I think if you intend to make an argument, it needs to include quantitative test evaluations which show the exact failings of the piece of gear which you have an issue with. Certainly some A/V gear has failings, but HTiB isn't a piece of gear, and some box systems have very respectable audio and video quality.

Perhaps you could clarify, be specific, and point out exactly what gear may not be up to the capaibility to determine quality audio from poor audio?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Theater.html

You can't expect a full 6 channel system that costs $120 to have even decent audio quality. I've heard many HTIB systems, even some that cost upwards of $500 and they still sound awful. The center channel especially. Dialog intelligibility on these systems is god awful. But the one place these systems are lacking in are in the bass department. This is one of those places I'm speaking of that these speakers can't even reproduce the frequencies.

Though, I understand what you're saying. It makes sense that they're reviewing on their systems the differences between each track they've heard and the speaker dynamics don't really come into play.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM

I will agree that a couple of reviewers have audio sections that definitely have room for improvement. The hard part is that this isn't the type of site that drops six figures to the guys that review stuff (unless there is something I don't know going on). So, they have to make do within their budget and the reviews are more a labor of love than anything else.

With that said, while cheaper speakers may not deliver the full dynamic range of nicer speakers, a properly setup cheap system is still more in line with the 'average' entry level setup and matches up nicely with what many consumers end up with. It is kind of refreshing to be able to read something and understand that person has a setup that isn't insane.

Insane is someon like Josh - who just has the type of system which should leave people drooling and jealous.

I know that my speakers typically cost more per speaker than most people spend on their entire surround setup, but I also don't rely on a single review to make or break a purchasing decision, but I rely on my own tastes in movies above all else.

Unless a movie just is a horrendous transfer, then that is something which will be just as audible on a weaker system as it would be on a top shelf system.

Still, I guess I would have to say that if I were to read a list of 'reference' movie recommendations, it would definitely be a lot more believable if it comes from someone who has a reference level video AND audio system.