Anyone working on a review of Terrence Malick's The New World? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Anyone working on a review of Terrence Malick's The New World?

just wondering. i've been on an extreme reevaluation of Malick and his films and would love to read a review discussing the aspects of his last released film on :iconbluraypng:.

thanks.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Former Member

Mattie, I can't speak for the whole crew, just myself. This one slipped between the cracks, as the budget Warner waves rarely get sent to media outlets. I personally will never put this one in an RRL vote thread, as I personally could not stand the film, and I think the last thing people voting to see the review want to see is one that trashes it at every turn.

Someone else may have this on their radar, I do not know, but I do know that if anyone did it, it would be from their own collection. You should ask our editor, as not all of us reviewers read the forums.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 PM

will do Nate and thanks for the intellect.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Loved that movie. Slower than molasses running uphill in January, but just too beautiful to ignore. Cinematography & music. Very basic story but told so grittily. I think of the films of the last 10 years, it and There Will Be Blood are really going to stand the test of time.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Loved that movie. Slower than molasses running uphill in January, but just too beautiful to ignore. Cinematography & music. Very basic story but told so grittily. I think of the films of the last 10 years, it and There Will Be Blood are really going to stand the test of time.
idk man, i first watched it nearly 2 years ago and thought it was the most boring, tedious, waste of time that i've ever seen.

however, i've significantly changed my stance on Malick and his films and find this to not only be a masterpiece, but Malick's greatest picture, and one of the best (yes..BEST) films that i've ever seen..absolute genius from an absolutely genius filmmaker.

i watched the theatrical cut Tuesday and followed it up with the much more enthralling and satisfying Extended Cut (which adds 36 minutes to the experience).

i used to laugh at people who praised this film and/or Malick. now i actually understand...

here's a somewhat sweet article from the Guardian on their opinion of the film. check it out

and yes, for me, this and Mulholland Dr. will be the two films to stand the test as time goes by, but There Will Be Blood will be right up there as well.

Last edited by BostonMA; 05-07-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I will read that Guardian article -- looks good, thanks.

I LIKE slow when it is donw right (and this is). I liken the story to Apocalypto, except, you know, *good*.

I need to re-watch Mullholland Drive.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM

i watched it yet again last night, and think it has surpassed Mulholland Dr. as the best film of the last decade IMO.

yeah, i guess i know what you mean about slow, or "slow when it's done right". personally, i don't think the film fits that bill, but i do think that something like Solaris does, or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The Tree of Life shall be epic.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I'd like to see that extended cut. Is there a Criterion?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
I'd like to see that extended cut. Is there a Criterion?
no i wish. it's through Warner (New Line), who doesn't license any of their films to Criterion any longer (very, very unselfish people right there) but at least the Blu-ray is good stuff (and it's the Extended, which IMO, is the ONLY way to watch it).
Old 05-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Malick commentary? Anything by the DP?