Define NSFW - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 PM
BambooLounge's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,115
Default Define NSFW

After having a post deleted (don't worry, not about to discuss mod action) and being given some very hazy reasoning regarding a picture in a post that was deleted, I realized it might be of some use for the site to define what NSFW (Not Safe For Work) means on this forum.

In my experience on the net, NSFW has generally been used for pictures w/explicit sexual content or even mild sexual content or videos with sound since people at work generally do not want random noises blaring from their work PC.

Yet, it seems that on this site, NSFW can and has been used by mods to justify mod action if a user is offended by a pic or video that has been posted. I think it would be a benefit to the users of this site and to the mods in enforcing the rules of the site consistently to establish what NSFW entails.

Sexual content seems to be a given, but what else? Mods should not be deleting posts based on random user complaints b/c users should not be at the mercy of the varying sensitivities of anyone who happens across their post. So, let's all tap our inner "framer of the Constitution" and hammer out a working definition.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Bane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,895
Default

Supposed pictures of dudes shot in the head would probably be a start.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
BambooLounge's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Supposed pictures of dudes shot in the head would probably be a start.
So, then how about videos of people shooting the shit out people?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Bane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
So, then how about videos of people shooting the shit out people?
When did this happen? And keep in mind, Justin Beiber being shot on NCIS or whatever, and similar fake stuff, doesn't count.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 PM
BambooLounge's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
When did this happen? And keep in mind, Justin Beiber being shot on NCIS or whatever, and similar fake stuff, doesn't count.
Well, the picture you reference was supposedly fake. So, was the video in that same thread...computer generated images of extreme violence.

So if fake gore/violence is NSFW, then that video is NSFW as well. Again, this is exactly why there should be some sort of definition.

There have been extremely violent videos posted on this site sans spoiler tags and all was fine and dandy. Like the bus beatdown from the crazy guy and the fat kid that brutally slammed some idiot down to the ground, seeming to shatter his ankle.

Things that likely are not going to be looked upon happily in the workplace. Or at least any type of typical sterile corporate environment. Loud videos of random violence generally are not appreciated. And keep in mind those were not spoiler tagged.

What about MMA videos...some of those fights end up with the combatants very bloodied.

So, then what should the definition be? No violent imagery whatsoever? No videos of violence (so far, no prob) or simply, no pictures or videos that one member find offensive and then posts about? Not very consistent is it?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

so...how is this not complaining about moderation? i'm missing it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 AM
RushGirl2112's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,546
Default

^ I have been saying that to myself for the last few minutes

*shrugs*
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Bane's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 17,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Well, the picture you reference was supposedly fake. So, was the video in that same thread...computer generated images of extreme violence.

So if fake gore/violence is NSFW, then that video is NSFW as well. Again, this is exactly why there should be some sort of definition.
It's still a realistic depiction of graphic violence... which is not at all the same as bad cgi depicting soldiers blowing him up with an RPG then shooting him with ray guns.

And another thing, the photo is fake in that it's not Bin Laden but it seems like it might be, and I can't find definite proof either way, a normal photo of him composited with a photo of another man with those actual wounds. So it may actually be a real photo, just not of Osama.

Quote:
There have been extremely violent videos posted on this site sans spoiler tags and all was fine and dandy. Like the bus beatdown from the crazy guy and the fat kid that brutally slammed some idiot down to the ground, seeming to shatter his ankle.

Things that likely are not going to be looked upon happily in the workplace. Or at least any type of typical sterile corporate environment. Loud videos of random violence generally are not appreciated. And keep in mind those were not spoiler tagged.
Fun fact: the Zangief Kid video was a link, not the actual video. And when someone later posted a gif of it it was in, get this, spoiler tags.

Bus dude was shown normally but again, not the same as the photo you posted.

Quote:
What about MMA videos...some of those fights end up with the combatants very bloodied.
MMA =/= depictions of dead bodies.

Quote:
So, then what should the definition be? No violent imagery whatsoever? No videos of violence (so far, no prob) or simply, no pictures or videos that one member find offensive and then posts about? Not very consistent is it?
Honestly dude, it really is just common sense. Don't really know what else to tell you at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Former Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,462
Default

HDD is not a gore site. i think that may be a good answer. there are many of those out there, with all sorts of variations and twists. the mods have final say, and if other mods disagree with one's action, they overrule it. it happens.

just use this as a guide: deceased people with gory wounds = not good. MMA = sport. killing people =/= sport. Boxing = sport. shooting people in the face =/= sport.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 AM
BambooLounge's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
so...how is this not complaining about moderation? i'm missing it.
A reaction to something (mod action) is not a complaint.

Yes, the impetus for this thread was mod action, but it was only used as a jumping off point.

The goal of this thread was to get a definition so that mods can act with consistency. "NSFW" is a term that has one meaning on the net (check out Wiki or whatnot) that is not how it is being used on this site.

All, I am asking for is a single definition of the term "NSFW." The first reply simply decided to make the conversation about a single post/picture...the aim of this thread was never that narrow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Epic: We'll Define The Core of Unreal Tournament 4 Favelle Game Room 3 05-20-2014 08:42 AM
How do YOU define 'AAA' titles? What makes a title 'Triple' A to you? Darkfalz Gaming Smackdown 44 04-17-2008 11:19 AM
How do you define victory of the war? spicynacho High Definition Smackdown 21 11-07-2007 06:58 PM
5th Element (Remastered) and How to define Sci-Fi? Shibblet Film Forum 58 07-26-2007 09:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off