Consider Spring Cleaning (of subforums) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-13-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Consider Spring Cleaning (of subforums)

As a friendly suggestion, I recommend that someone undertake the rather difficult task of rearranging our forums page. At current, we have a daunting list of 34 separate subforums on the forums page. I can only imagine how cumbersome this might appear to new users (in fact, I find it to be one of the hardest things to get used to when starting out on a new board).

For example, of those 34, several have not been used for even a single post in the past month, a couple have not seen a single post in over half a year. Others, in their entire time on the forum, have seen a total of merely 50 threads or less, with only a couple hundred replies.

Another example of waste can be found in the CES subforums. We have 3 (2009, 2010, and 2011) all sitting at the top of the subforum list - taking up prime, top of the page, space. There isn't really any reason for this. At most, perhaps leave the most recent CES subforum at the top, and at the very bottom - add a CES Archives folder in the archives section.

Basically, my point is that you guys shouldn't be afraid to get a little bit aggressive, and declutter space. Other subforums, with some thought, might be able to be combined such that they'd spur more interesting discussion and see more use.

This site is about reviews, hd/blu-ray movies and games, hi-def generally, and theater equipment etc. There is really no reason for having almost three dozen different segregated areas for discussion
Old 04-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We have some tidying plans in the works.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Member

a forum re-order would be neat. we have some spots that could move, and some that could be buried better. good suggestion.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. We have some tidying plans in the works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
a forum re-order would be neat. we have some spots that could move, and some that could be buried better. good suggestion.
Thanks for being on top of this. I understand that it's a pretty difficult thing to do
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM

It looks like you guys finally got around to it. Glad that the 4-year-old CES stuff is now down at the bottom. Not too happy that one of the busier(st?) subforums (the game room) is again buried at the bottom while 5 separate subforums for HD DVD, perhaps 2 that receive any real traffic, are still taking up prime space.

I don't get to set priorities for where things are displayed on the page, so I won't complain loudly - but I'll still complain. One would think that, with traffic falling off the site, you guys would promote the more trafficed areas. HD Game Console smackdown is pretty much dead, and its traffic has shifted to the gameroom (almost in the exact same way that format smackdown has gone to Blu-ray general).

Recommendations
Just so I'm not a total jerk - and criticizing without making a recommendation such that the criticism is constructive, I'd just say that 'smackdown' as a concept has largely outlived it's usefulness on this site and is mostly dead in both format and game areas. HD DVD doesn't need 5 subforums - I'd archive all but one or two which still receive enough traffic to deserve a prime spot, and I'd retool/reinstate a "General Discussion" area toward the top of the forums page for Blu-ray, Gaming, Home Theater, and Reviews. Those sections (plus the watercooler) are most of the traffic on the site in one way or another; having 15+ subforums never helps a site with a dwindling userbase. It's somewhat sloppy splintering of the userbase.

Where my comments can be read as constructive or snarky in their intent, please read them in a constructive light.

Edit: Either I'm on crack, or everything just moved around again. We're back to 34 subforums, 19 of which are being viewed by less than 10 people.

Last edited by Badger3920; 08-15-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 PM

What happened to the 3D forum? It seems to be gone. I tried searching via my posts, and all the ones from there are non-existent.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
It looks like you guys finally got around to it. Glad that the 4-year-old CES stuff is now down at the bottom. Not too happy that one of the busier(st?) subforums (the game room) is again buried at the bottom while 5 separate subforums for HD DVD, perhaps 2 that receive any real traffic, are still taking up prime space.

I don't get to set priorities for where things are displayed on the page, so I won't complain loudly - but I'll still complain. One would think that, with traffic falling off the site, you guys would promote the more trafficed areas. HD Game Console smackdown is pretty much dead, and its traffic has shifted to the gameroom (almost in the exact same way that format smackdown has gone to Blu-ray general).

Recommendations
Just so I'm not a total jerk - and criticizing without making a recommendation such that the criticism is constructive, I'd just say that 'smackdown' as a concept has largely outlived it's usefulness on this site and is mostly dead in both format and game areas. HD DVD doesn't need 5 subforums - I'd archive all but one or two which still receive enough traffic to deserve a prime spot, and I'd retool/reinstate a "General Discussion" area toward the top of the forums page for Blu-ray, Gaming, Home Theater, and Reviews. Those sections (plus the watercooler) are most of the traffic on the site in one way or another; having 15+ subforums never helps a site with a dwindling userbase. It's somewhat sloppy splintering of the userbase.

Where my comments can be read as constructive or snarky in their intent, please read them in a constructive light.

Edit: Either I'm on crack, or everything just moved around again. We're back to 34 subforums, 19 of which are being viewed by less than 10 people.
My first time on the update. The last changeover, we retooled the B/S/T areas all into one section. Now, they're split again. My one concern with this is the lazy bastards who list DVD and HD DVD in the BD section because it gets more views, basically spamming it. We eliminated that when we created the Marketplace section, so here's hoping that it doesn't happen again.

I think spring cleaning is always great, and retooling is fun, just have to get accustomed to things again. after a while it feels like it has always been, just takes that little adjustment period.

I do agree, Game Room got buried.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
My first time on the update. The last changeover, we retooled the B/S/T areas all into one section. Now, they're split again. My one concern with this is the lazy bastards who list DVD and HD DVD in the BD section because it gets more views, basically spamming it. We eliminated that when we created the Marketplace section, so here's hoping that it doesn't happen again.

I think spring cleaning is always great, and retooling is fun, just have to get accustomed to things again. after a while it feels like it has always been, just takes that little adjustment period.

I do agree, Game Room got buried.
I think those comments are good points and apt for someone who simply doesn't like the new layout - but the issues I'm pointing out are more specific in nature. For example, our forum page looks schizophrenic, like somebody got sick and threw-up subforums all over it. This site's userbase has been falling for a good deal of time - so one of my points is that it needs to be more well-thought-out; more cohesive. We don't need nearly 30 subforums to talk about blu-ray movies/reviews, games, home theater, personal sale threads, and water cooler - that's just ridiculous. It gives a dwindling amount of people 30 more ways to split-up.

So, while I think you made very apt comments, "getting used to it" isn't really what the issue is here. We could use some real changes, and a bit more thought about page placement. I mean, seriously, we have FIVE subforums for hd dvd.

"Just collapse them" as a response is sort of a superficial answer, because we're talking about users as a whole here - not just one guy complaining about having 30 subforums.

Also, the reordering of things seems to revert back to the status quo like 60% of the time I hit the page...
Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Former Member

Yeah, it has been sporadic in terms of old layout, new layout tonight. Very funny.

However, I have no HD DVD gripe. I've kept that area collapsed for some time now. See no evil, speak no evil.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it has been sporadic in terms of old layout, new layout tonight. Very funny.
Ha, agreed

Quote:
However, I have no HD DVD gripe. I've kept that area collapsed for some time now. See no evil, speak no evil.
I anticipated this sort of comment, but explained why I think it's sort of a side-step to the actual issue. I have no gripe with HD DVD either. I *do* think it's wasteful, and perhaps some missed opportunity, for a site whose best interests include putting people in touch with one another on their forum community, to have 5 subforums sitting prominently on an already crowded front page - for a product which was discontinued 3.5 years ago. I think those subforums have great info in them for some collectors - which is why an archive would be appropriate - so that info is available. Leave the 1 or 2 decently traffic'd HD DVD subforums right where they are - no problem with that.