Reviews: Blu-Ray vs. Dvd - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2010, 02:00 AM

Post Reviews: Blu-Ray vs. Dvd

Hi, was looking for another thread concerning this issue, but have not found one, so here goes.
I very much enjoy the Blu-ray reviews on this site, (probably because I seem to usually, but not always, agree with them), particularly the technical sections re: video and audio quality. I do find, however, that there is one aspect that I find rather lacking in these reviews.
Many of us that collect older films have Dvd copies of the film, and therefore wonder how the Blu-ray edition actually compares to the Dvd copy, quality wise. A few films on Dvd actually seem to be better than or at least equal to the Blu-ray releases, Top Gun comes to mind. It would be nice if the reviewers would compare to the dvd issues a bit more, so that we could really figure out if it is worth the investment to update (but possibly not upgrade?) to blu-ray.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:11 AM

I think it can be mentioned when the reviewer knows something about the various DVD releases but to be expected as part of the review is I think unreasonable. It is safe to assume that the Blu-ray release is an upgrade to the DVD and the review should help determine how great an upgrade just by describing how good it is by Blu-ray standards. I haven't seen a Blu-ray release that doesn't look better than a DVD I have seen but whether or not the upgrade is worth the price every time is very subjective.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Chris nailed it. Also, this suggestion would require that the reviewer have a copy of the DVD on hand, which isn't always the case, especially for old out-of-print titles. Even if the DVD is still in print, it's not within our budget to have reviewers puchase (or even rent) them just to throw one extra sentence into the review. Not to mention that this would require the reviewers to watch every movie twice, which is just something we don't have time for.

IMO, comparisons to DVD are becoming less and less relevant with each passing day. It's extremely rare that a Blu-ray doesn't look and sound better than a DVD. Whether any particular title is a big enough improvement over the DVD is a subjective decision that only you can make for yourself. If it's your favorite movie of all time, a 5% improvement in picture quality may make it worth a purchase. But if it's a movie you only passably care for, the Blu-ray could be vastly better than the DVD and you still wouldn't be inclined to purchase it again.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Former Member

yep, very few titles look or sound worse on blu-ray than dvd. there's a few that constantly get brought up (evil dead 2), and a few that most people don't know about (the fight club german import, lordy is it awful).

considering we cover every INCH of a release here at this site, every extra, watch every episode in a season/series, rather than just mail it in or "sample," it limits our time to do that extra foot (can't call it the extra mile in this case). i think our readers would rather we invest said time into other blu-ray reviews, personally.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM

I make sure to keep a half dozen of titles in both formats so that when a guest questions which format is "better", I can give them a greater sense of what it is they are comparing.