The HDD Blog is stupid.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Default The HDD Blog is stupid....

in my opinion. HDD needs to stop being all things to all people and just focus on what it does best. Reviews and having a cool Forum.

Keep It Simple Stupid

/rant
Old 11-20-2010, 02:14 PM

i agree Cheez.

the blog is ok, but it is not worth the time and effort spent on it by HDD's writers IMO, which is clearly evidenced by the amount of replies to each post, which is usually between 1 and 2 (with the exception of the weekend roundtable, which is always a hit).

i think the staff of HDD should definitely keep the blog, but only if they can cut back on it big time, like 1/2 of what they usually do, and bring HDD back to the reviewing and forum titan that it once was.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:44 PM

none of the staff members want to voice their opinions on this?

not trying to be annoying, i just don't wana see this thread get left in the dust.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Former Member

Gerard knows he's my bud, but he also knows i think it's in slightly poor taste for someone working at one site to trash another, on their turf, particularly if they've been a member of the community. i'm not going to hold it against him, but i personally don't think that the blog, which has done WAY more contests than probably any other Blu-ray site out there in recent months, giving a ton of free swag (and some expensive swag to boot!), and its crew really need to defend or explain itself/themselves against comments of that manner. they're doing a lot of hard work and putting a ton of time in, things people will never see who only see the end product.

Gerard doesn't like it. he doesn't have to use it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:13 PM

oh no, i completely agree Nate. Josh, Drew, Dick, and the rest of the hard workers, put a SHITLOAD...of work in.. a fucking ton, and i just don't think it's worth it due to most of the responses being under 5. i've thought in the past how these guys, particularly Josh (probably because i know him the best out of the group), do it and keep everything else in their life at full force.

the free prizes are something i overlooked and a really nice feature, and i do not mean any disrespect at all, and i don't think Cheez.Gerard does either. all i'm getting at is that i just think that the amount of work the HDD Blog guys put in isn't worth the amount of feedback it receives in return, which is what i said in my first post here.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
none of the staff members want to voice their opinions on this?

not trying to be annoying, i just don't wana see this thread get left in the dust.
Frankly, I don't think this kind of "feedback" is worthy of discussion. The blog has had comments in the 100s at various times, all while we've continued to post 40 - 60+ Blu-ray reviews and 160+ news articles and columns every month. Just cause some readers don't feel the need to add comments to every post, that doesn't mean those posts aren't getting tons of readers.

Anyway, here's a staff response, since you asked for it, but frankly, I'm more than happy to let this thread get lost in the dust.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Frankly, I don't think this kind of "feedback" is worthy of discussion. The blog has had comments in the 100s at various times, all while we've continued to post 40 - 60+ Blu-ray reviews and 160+ news articles and columns every month. Just cause some readers don't feel the need to add comments to every post, that doesn't mean those posts aren't getting tons of readers.

Anyway, here's a staff response, since you asked for it, but frankly, I'm more than happy to let this thread get lost in the dust.
like i said Mike i mean no disrespect, but it seems you feel i've given it anyways.

you're stats may sound good but still, there are a good amount of titles that are still not reviewed that really should be, like Apocalypse Now and Paths of Glory.

yes i know the whole screener and no kiss ass deal but if HDD's first thing is being about reviewing then really, that should be the first thing HDD's about.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

The majority of this site's reviewers have continued to plug away at reviews, and don't contribute to the blog. It's simply inaccurate to say that the blog is preventing reviews from getting published, when the pace of reviews on the site has continued unabated.

If a couple of notable titles haven't been reviewed yet, that has more to do with the huge flood of new releases that have come out recently. October and November saw an incredible number of major titles and box sets, many of which contain multiple movies (and/or multiple versions of each of those movies) and hours upon hours upon hours of bonus features that must be watched. There are only so many hours in our lives for our staff of hard-working reviewers to crank through all of those.

I personally just spent the entire g/d weekend watching the new 3-hour Avatar extended cut and trying to plow through all of its supplements. And that's just one title. (I wrote exactly one blog post over the weekend. One.)

Now, some sites out there may watch about 5 minutes of a disc, grab a couple of screen caps, then copy/paste the list of supplements from the press release - and call that a "review." That's not what we do here.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:50 PM

A blog doesn't need responses to be good, does it? Don't most people just READ blogs? I wasn't aware a "dialog" was necessary?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
A blog doesn't need responses to be good, does it? Don't most people just READ blogs? I wasn't aware a "dialog" was necessary?
Agreed.

I love the blog I scored some free movies and there are plenty of interesting posts. My biggest complaint though is Josh's complete abandonment of coverage for my favorite show, Chuck. Quit reviewing movies dammit J/K of course Josh, I know you are extremely busy.