Obama and the democratic national committee advertisement now at High-Def Digest - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Default Obama and the democratic national committee advertisement now at High-Def Digest

I thought High-Def Digest was a website for Blu-ray and home theater technology issues. Are topics like politics and religion now allowed??

The reason why I ask is because now I see an advertisement from the democratic national committee once and awhile at the right side of the High-Def Digest website and sometimes on the top right next to the High-Def Digest logo. If one clicks on the picture of Obama they get the following website to pop up.

“On November 2nd, stand with President Obama and show once more that change comes from the bottom up.”

http://www.barackobama.com/pollingpl..._Cat_CPC_33619

If political advertisements are now allowed at High-Def Digest then one should also be able to discuss politics.

Maybe we will in the future also see some conservative ads at High-Def Digest for those that are interested in voting for conservative republicans.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Former Member

3 things, and i'm going to spoiler tag some parts of this post, since i'm not going to say nice things:

1- most ads here are from google, often times are keyword generated. this means that if you want to see conservative ads here at HDD, perhaps the conservatives should advertise in the same realm. apparently ONE political group decided to use google advertising this weekend. blame the conservatives that they didn't, not HDD for having RANDOMLY generated ads based off the ad system in place.

2- things have been a little bit more relaxed in the water cooler, you will notice, but i do think there is still a ban on it.
semi-political thread examples:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wate...l-remarks.html
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wate...shrimpers.html
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wate...-marriage.html
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wate...ere-wrong.html

or a more classic example, that again proved that given an INCH, some people take a mile and ignore civility completely (infracted comments removed, but so bad that AGAIN, people and their politics got threads closed)
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/wate...n-pro-con.html

3- after the way some users (not all) acted
Spoiler
like shit flinging screaming fanatical monkeys
completely incapable of following the rules set forth to them back in the day concerning political threads, why should HDD allow it fully and openly again? that makes no sense. they had a chance, and they failed MISERABLY. you're using a random, non-endorsed (emphasis right there) advertisement to push your agenda, the sour grapes over a decision made long ago.

HDD has never posted pro-this or con-that. if a review is for a disc that has political content, it always opens a shitstorm that again demonstrates why it got banned. don't blame HDD. blame every person who couldn't act civil.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

I understand that the Google advertisements are randomly generated. Other home theater websites have placed a filter on the Google ads so that political advertisements do not pop up for a site that is about Blu-ray technology and Home Theater equipment.

I have no problem if a website wants to allow discuss on religion and politics. Also if a Blu-ray movie is about politics or religion then people should have the right to discuss the religion or politics of the movie. I am for freedom of speech for both the left and the right.

What I do not like is some websites that ban political discussions and then there are all kinds of advertisements for local and national political issues from only one party.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 PM

I think there are ways of filtering certain ads.

I was seriously offended when another Home Theater website had Anti-Gay Marriage ads running a year or two ago. They had them taken down pretty quickly.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:06 PM

I see this as a non-issue
Old 10-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Maybe we will in the future also see some conservative ads at High-Def Digest for those that are interested in voting for conservative republicans.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBreakdown View Post
For some reason I am not getting the Republican advertisements from my IP address. Maybe only some areas of the country are seeing the Republican advertisements. That advertisement says it was paid for by the Connecticut Republican party. I guess these advertisements are not being sent to all 50 states and only select areas.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 PM

Well what state are you from? Because CT pretty much always goes Dem, that's probably why the Rep's are pushing it more. Especially via snail mail, I've literally got hundreds of Republican brochures and 1 Democratic brochure in the last couple months. (I'm registered unaffiliated).
Old 11-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Heyyy....CT! My birth state!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Former Member

Just got an ad for Meg Whitman, the Republican (who resembles Voldemort with hair) candidate for the CA Governor race.
it's life. in a few days, we won't have to see this stuff ANYWHERE for a while.