Reviews? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2010, 10:59 PM

Reviews?

What really brings me back to this site more than anything is the breakdown of reviews for blurays both new and old releases.

The issue i'm having now though is that it seems the reviews have become scarce or really pointless ones.

What i'm really getting at is we all know not every Blu-Ray release is worth the price or in some cases, buying altogether.. That is why i am sure a lot of people frequent here but then we get some reviews that just seem pointless. (i.e, Hangover Extreme Edition- nothing really to note except for a few new things added for $$) Then the site seems to skip over things like Grindhouse which supposedly is the complete theatrical run on home media for the first time (in the US) but has yet to have a review..It even seems that the site reviews some blurays that aren't even released in stores; i've yet to cross Escape from New York on Bluray as well as a few others.

I'm not saying it's possible to review every single bluray that is released seeing as it is finally catching on and nearly every new movie is released in bluray as well as old movies are finally being released in bluray..it would just be nice if maybe there was a set up for forum users to lend their reviews to other members and share their opinions. (i'm fairly new on the forums and have only seen review threads for movies that have been reviewed..not from users on their own)

Just saying, i come to this site more often than i'd like to admit to see what has been recently reviewed and it seems very slow even though there are plenty of new releases weekly.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Former Member

Howdy.

Please note the following: Hangover UE got a review, because studio reps provided said title for review. Vivendi hasn't been all that giving lately. They're kinda an odd duck. Titles that studios care enough to get to our site take priority over the ones we have to go out and buy on our own. They are faster, since we get them pre-date, and can have them up in a fashion that makes them relevant. Additionally, on Fox/MGM product, they don't even ship titles until they hit street, so we can never get them up early. It's how they run things. Some studios lately have been pulling something really bad, delaying screeners on titles that bombed theatrically, so as to limit damage on the home video review circuit. It's one really big, sometimes ugly dance.

I'm not criticizing you in any way, just hoping that some of this info may shed some light into the process. This site doesn't take "pay for play," but screeners most certainly take priority over storebought goodies. Reviews aren't scarce, they're still at their normal clip, sometimes a bit above normal. As to whether someone feels a review is pointless, there are many people out there. A title like Hangover UE is interesting, because not everyone in the Blu market these days was in the Blu market when that disc came out. It is one of the top selling discs on the format, yes, but this is a chance for newcomers to grab it, and have a newer edition. Reviewing it also lets people who have it know if it's the same A/V, or if it's an upgrade or downgrade in quality.

There have been a huge, huge amount of releases recently, in fact I do believe October 5 may hold the record for most BD releases on a single day. That further bogs down things. We have a review staff churning away, pumping them out. The reviewer who was to do Grindhouse, he may still do it, but it would have to come from his own pile, and I can't even begin to say what his priorities are, let alone if he bought it or not.

Readers have often posted reviews in the review threads (or pre-release threads if no review is live yet). It's best to leave them in those threads, but they do exist. DjfunkmasterG recently did one for Return of the Living Dead that became a big conversation piece (and an interesting thing, considering a zombie movie director reviewed a classic zombie movie!).
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 PM

As long as Mega Piranha is reviewed i'll be happy.It better be a longass review too,20 paragraphs at least.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:01 AM

Thank You project-blu for clearing that up.

sorry if i came off as a bit rude and drastic in my rant. I do appreciate the quick response though and detail to explain exactly how majority of the reviews come to be. I'm fairly new to these forums and have been trying my best to figure out things before starting threads and the site has been quite helpful in helping me make purchases of blurays or to just stick with the dvds.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Former Member

you didn't seem either. don't worry about it.

Captain Canuck, after MEGA SHARK vs GIANT OCTOPUS, i'm aching for some MEGA action. It's not a screener, though, so it would have to wait for me to finish a few priority titles. 20 paragraphs is a bit much, though. how about 19?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
you didn't seem either. don't worry about it.

Captain Canuck, after MEGA SHARK vs GIANT OCTOPUS, i'm aching for some MEGA action. It's not a screener, though, so it would have to wait for me to finish a few priority titles. 20 paragraphs is a bit much, though. how about 19?
Well ok as long as you you critique the Tiffany music video.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Former Member

will keep that in mind.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Grindhouse is in the works. As Nate said, Vivendi didn't provide an advance screener copy, so I had to buy it on my own after release date. I've written 80% of the review, but the disc has a ton of bonus features that I'm still digging through. Bear with us. We will get there.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.