new user class: suspended - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Former Member

Default new user class: suspended

proposal to those who can make this, and i want to post it publicly so i can see if users would be behind my rationale.

so far, users are only BANNED or MEMBERS, no inbetween. this can create problems. one, banned users, if i'm correct, can't PM, so it's hard for them to PM a mod to appeal, or contact users they were in trades with, get addresses, etc. two, if a user is under investigation in the marketplace, the ability to prevent them from posting, but be able to respond to PM's would be great. yes, they can still try to scam people through WTB's, soliciting them, but i'd hope no one would be dumb enough to buy from someone whose name says "suspended" beneath it.

this could lower the stigma of temp bans, make people not wonder what happened, and i honestly don't see any reason why this could be a bad move. mods can simply put that if a member is suspended, if they harass someone, mod staff or members they were in arguments with, that they can look at full ban time instead.

i know another forum uses this user class, and it does work. instead of temp bans, create a class that makes them suspended, and that may help in case of future issues like moyalovesblu. i'm sure each and every person who got hit on that one would agree.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Formerly gbox85

Great idea!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:38 PM

This a good idea. Behind it 100%.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Sounds like a very good idea.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM

I would be all for it. I was not one of the ones hit my this most recent possible scam or the previous ones either, but i think it gives ppl another way of looking into someone before making a deal. Obviously there is no one way to tell if someone is going to scam another person as a lot of ppl learned recently on here.

The feedback system helps but is not foolproof(purposely spelled that way). By adding another class level hopefully ppl will see it and question why it is there rather than jumping on a deal just because it looks good. This most recently questionable seller(moyalovesblu) already had one neg. feedback in less than 10 posted transactions. That should have been a red flag right there.

Like PB stated, banning the questionable member keeps the member from msg'ing mods or other members to possibly straighten out any issues that may have kept them from keeping up with their end of the deal or reconcile any differences there may be between the members.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:14 PM

"Aye! "
Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Former Member

c'mon, adminerinos, make it so. i can even get someone i know who runs a system like this to give feedback on it if required.

PROTECTING users is priority #1, and when a scammer is suspected, it is often too late, but we can often save others from being screwed if we keep open their PM options, but remove their posting ability in this manner. in this particular case, it would have prevented mods from having to keep on warning and deleting threads posted by the user, which eventually got through when the mods were on other business (NOT THEIR FAULTS, not blaming the marketplace guys for the ill intent of one person!!!!).

i'd love some more people to voice support on this issue. it would be fairly easy to implement, just a new set of permissions, that is more restrictive than member. having REGULAR MODS be able to use it would be crucial, since all the marketplace mods are regular mods, and time can be of the essence in scam issues.

Last edited by project-blu; 08-19-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 PM

I totally agree with this. I was banned once...or twice...but each time, I couldn't see my pm telling me why I was banned! lol. That just seems kinda crazy.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Former Member

that's a good reason. now points related bans, suspension is ideal. a hard ban, for certain things (attacking a user publicly), i can understand, but some things are so silly, that a member wonders why they were banned in the first place, and if they can't read their PM's, they can't appeal to anyone, or even find out what they did wrong. that's one way to drive away readers, too. suspension may be long overdue.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 PM

Very good idea by the op! Is anyone going to respond?