Spoiler alerts. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-10-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Spoiler alerts.

First of all, I'm new here and really dig this site since I just took the Blu-ray plunge. Good reviews and forums to boot. However, I was recently spoiled by a review (won't name names) and would recommend this site either put a disclaimer or use markup that hides the spoilers.

I have older audio equipment so I really have to read reviews to be sure the purchase is worth it. I know some people will say that I should avoid reviews if I don't want to be spoiled, but isn't that the point of the review -- to find out if it's worth it in the first place? I don't completely go by reviews, but I do have to depend on them more now especially considering, again, my audio equipment as well as my less-than-desirable current financial situation.

Ok, thanks and keep up the good work here.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM

We don't have an official policy on spoilers in reviews, per se. I think this really comes down to a case-by-case basis. It will depend entirely on how major a spoiler it is, and whether that plot point is important to the discussion of the movie. Giving away the big twist ending to a suspense thriller is just tacky, for example. But acknowledging that Bruce Willis is going to survive to the end of the latest Die Hard shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

We had a discussion about spoilers in the blog recently. Several different points of view are represented in the comments:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/spoiler-alerts/
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Former Member

well, i hope it wasn't me spoiling a film for you. i do my best not to do that. television shows, it's hard to talk about season 10 without mentioning events from previous ones that are pivotal, but movies, i hear you.

some films you can't discuss without that FIRST twist. like in Kalifornia. it is revealed fairly early that Early is a killer. i think that's even on the back cover, and without even mentioning it, you have no plot to discuss! you just have to tread softly from there on out. the new Ben Affleck heist film's trailer has a shot that looks like a SERIOUS spoiler, but it may not be. only time will tell!

apologies if it was me, and even if it wasn't me. i don't care about a film being "spoiled," but i know MANY people care a great deal.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklight1138 View Post
First of all, I'm new here and really dig this site since I just took the Blu-ray plunge. Good reviews and forums to boot. However, I was recently spoiled by a review (won't name names) and would recommend this site either put a disclaimer or use markup that hides the spoilers.

I have older audio equipment so I really have to read reviews to be sure the purchase is worth it. I know some people will say that I should avoid reviews if I don't want to be spoiled, but isn't that the point of the review -- to find out if it's worth it in the first place? I don't completely go by reviews, but I do have to depend on them more now especially considering, again, my audio equipment as well as my less-than-desirable current financial situation.

Ok, thanks and keep up the good work here.
That's sucks and is amazing that happened to you considering everyone is overusing them for everything from pictures to sold items.