Diversify HDD's Focus - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-01-2010, 01:59 PM

Default Diversify HDD's Focus

A friendly suggestion-

Having participated in the forums on this site for a couple years now, I have come to put quite a bit of stock in the reviews this site pumps out on blu-rays. I agree that part of this site's success, after the collapse of the format war, has been carried forth because of the focus on providing blu-ray reviews.

However, I think you guys have garnered enough trust in that area to begin trying a slow expansion to more appropriately fit your "hi def" digest label, as opposed to "blu ray digest". I, for one, was really excited ~1.5 years ago when you added a Theater Gear tab and put forth a couple product reviews. That idea wasn't really well supported by this site - and I feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity. I'll make two suggestions:

Home Theater Products

Just recently, I put together a true home theater (projector, screen etc). The forum community here was great, but the site didnt otherwise offer much help. I've also been out of the TV set market for a couple years and was approached by a friend for help in shopping for a new set -- I was close to clueless on the new generation of equipment. Yet, this site has at least two staff/moderator members with extensive experience in home theater products. I would have loved to have more information and projector reviews to view on THIS site as opposed to others. As an example, you could have someone like AV_Integrated do some sort of product review monthly (perhaps on new receivers coming out) or the latest bookshelf speakers etc. If you check the home theater gear subforum, there is already a WONDERFUL idea in there to help virtually everyone on this site - it's the thread containing information on how to put together a home theater on a budget (I think it excludes info on tv's etc).

Taking this idea further, you could have a simple but nice page with drop down menu's for creating a home theater setup (i.e. select budget, how many speakers you'd like etc) with some sort of results calculator spitting out recommended equipment - linked to reviews on the respective pieces of equipment.

Games
Also, I'll keep this brief, but a large percentage of your forum traffic is here especially for hd game discussions. You guys had Shoeless put together 2 or 3 great articles for us - and then stopped. It would be great if there were one or two game reviews a month here; providing the usual metrics but the added special focus of "hd goodness" that this site specifically focuses on.

Thanks for reading such a long post. It's not my intention to nag, but this site already has faithful readers and has instilled a sense of trust. I think you should slowly expand and capitalize on that instead of settling for just another blu-ray review site (albeit one of the better ones).
Old 07-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Former Member

i'd hardly call your post a nag. it's full of valid suggestions, with great rationale and explanation, yo. great post.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Those suggestions are fantastic. I would love to see HDD take a bite out of the CNET (for electronics reviews) pie, especially since it would be so specifically tailored to high def movie watching.

I'm not a gamer, but hey, if people want that and video game reviews do not take away Blu-ray review resources (man power) then that is cool too.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the kind comments. One idea I had which I forgot to post (and this is geared toward getting more people into constantly using/checking the site and forums throughout the day) is something I think of as "Monday Madness"

Basically, each monday, HDD would sell a brand new item in one of its marketplace subforums for a considerable deal (below market value). For example, "A Bugs Life" for $10 one week, LOTR trilogy the next week for $25. The deal goes to the first person to respond in a thread created specifically for this sale, so long as the poster has more than a 100 post count. This would get people used to checking and using your marketplaces. An inexpensive way to drive site traffic.

Last edited by Badger3920; 07-01-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM

FYI, you should be reading our blog. Dick has been doing a lot of gaming coverage in there. He's currently attempting to finagle game screeners from studios, so that we can have more game reviews.

Right now, the blog is being used as a sort of "catch all" area for any topics that aren't Blu-ray reviews or news announcements. We cover gaming, theatrical releases, TV programming, and many other miscellaneous movie and home theater topics.

We would love to expand into more hardware and equipment reviews. The issues currently are manpower, resources, and budget. We're trying, though.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM

I certainly understand that the pie is only so large, and the more ways you slice it simply mean smaller slices. For that reason, I simply suggested a moderate approach at branching out/diversifying a bit.

I think the blog and facebook efforts are all spot-on, although they don't (in my opinion) provide the same utility/purpose/focus as the things I was suggesting. For example, it would be tough to get an idea of what tv fits the bill for a friend's home theater by combing through a blog.

On the otherhand, good efforts on the blog
Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Great ideas, hopefully HDD will have the resources to expand in the near future.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
I certainly understand that the pie is only so large, and the more ways you slice it simply mean smaller slices. For that reason, I simply suggested a moderate approach at branching out/diversifying a bit.

I think the blog and facebook efforts are all spot-on, although they don't (in my opinion) provide the same utility/purpose/focus as the things I was suggesting. For example, it would be tough to get an idea of what tv fits the bill for a friend's home theater by combing through a blog.
I hear what you're saying. They're all good suggestions. We're working on branching out into new topics. We just don't have the resources of a CNET at our disposal yet.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 AM

We're certainly doing our best to expand to those areas while keeping the existing features going strong.

Please check out the Blog:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/

and the weekly HD Advisor:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/hdadvisor.html

and tell us what you'd like to see us add to those sections.

Suggestions for regular features are greatly appreciated!