Why are the reviewers so preopccupied with "dated?" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Question Why are the reviewers so preopccupied with "dated?"

It seems to me that a great deal (probably more than half) of the reviews of older movies mention how "dated" the movies are, as if a movie being dated is a valid criticism.

If a movie was made in 1975, takes place in 1975 and used technology available in 1975, why would a viewer expect the movie to look and play like it was made in 2005? Why mention the fashion sense of the characters in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and how it is somehow a failing of the movie to have not anticipated that perhaps thirty years later people might find it distracting? So many of the reviews mention how special effects haven't aged well or how attitudes and themes are antiquated. Those rickety old effects were the stepping stones that led to Avatar. Part of the reason to watch older movies is to revisit or rediscover attitudes and themes that have passed on.

I'm not complaining and this isn't so much a criticism. I just honestly don't understand how a person watching a movie could be so thrown off by the technology, clothes, hairdos, language or politics of a movie in they reflect the time the movie was made. I can understand people thinking the effects in Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus are terrible. I don't get how people can shrug off the effects in King Kong.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Do you have specific examples?

I think this will really come down to a case-by-case basis. Some movies are very representative of the time period they were made. Watching them is like a time capsule back to that era. But other movies are just cheesy. In most cases, those movies were cheesy even when they were released, but we didn't realize it at the time, or were willing to forgive it.

Mark my words: Avatar will not age well.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Do you have specific examples?

I think this will really come down to a case-by-case basis. Some movies are very representative of the time period they were made. Watching them is like a time capsule back to that era. But other movies are just cheesy. In most cases, those movies were cheesy even when they were released, but we didn't realize it at the time, or were willing to forgive it.

Mark my words: Avatar will not age well.
I haven't seen avatar, but I have seen previews and can say that it is already a stale, moldy piece of cheese.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Makes me feel dated myself! ...Well, almost.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Are all the reviews actually criticizing the films for this element? Because the term "dated" shouldn't automatically be a criticism, at least in my opinion. I mean, I'd say Deliverence is dated, but it's still an awesome movie... and perhaps even more so because it's dated.

Same can be said about classic science fiction. Hell Star Wars, Alien, Predator are all showing thier age... but that's part of their charm!