LG BH200 Picture Quality unimpressive...help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Red face LG BH200 Picture Quality unimpressive...help!

Just recently grabbed an LG BH200.

January 2008 build. Newest firmware update via ethernet yesterday.

I have it hooked up via 1080p HDMI to a Samsung LN40A550 LCD.

The picture is very dark and lacking compared to my Samsung BDP1500 and Toshiba A2.

Any suggestions? I have read turning off the Q proccesor and leaving the settings on Deafult User are supposed to improve the pic - no dice.

Pic is very uncolorful, lacking sharpness (especially HDDVD)

Bottom line is 1080p basically looks like 720 at best with Cars or Disney blurays and absimal with any other film in.

Please help!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Well, I have two of the players, and I'd say the PQ is pretty comparable to my Samsung 2500 and previous HD DVD players. You cannot turn the Q processor "off", just tweak the output settings.

But since you bought a used player, check the other settings first: Since you're connecting directly to your TV via HDMI, make sure the Resolution is set to "Auto" so it will negotiate with your TV on power up for the highest resolution your TV will accept. Can your TV accept 24fps input? If so, set the Film Mode to "On" down in the Others Menu.

Then you can set the Qdeo processor settings in the Video Mode menu in the Display menu. Is it set to "User"? The previous owner may have made his own custom settings that don't work well with your TV, so if it is set to "user" try default and see how it looks. If it is set to default, then set it to "user". Then click the < left toggle key and you can then access the Video Adjustment, Color Adjustment, and the White, Block & Mosquito Noise Adjustment menus in the menu and play around with them. I'd suggest you hit the "default" button on each of them first to remove any setting the previous owner might have made, then try your own tweaking. The player puts up a background picture that's really helpful - it's a picture of a bunch of kids with Asian, blond Caucasian, red head Caucasian and black kids, so very helpful in adjusting color, etc. Note that the very last menu option, Black Level, only affects a Component 480i connection.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:59 PM

I agree with Cochise, try setting everything possible to default, then tweak from there. If the black levels look wrong, maybe you need to change the "HDMI black level" or "colorspace"on your Sammy TV? I also had some ideas in your other thread.

BH200 content should definitely not look "abysmal". Maybe you got a bad one?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 PM

I would like to thank both of you for taking the time and energy to respond to my thread.

I think black levels have something to do with it - maybe even having my Sammy Tv on Dynamic too?

I have gotten the picture significantly better today after lowering the black level on my TV, but it definitely still isn't as sharp as I would like it.

It still sort of looks like SD on an HDTV - that dark clouded look.

I bought a square trade warranty for 2 years on this puppy. I hope it isn't a bad unit though.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Nailed it. It is the black level settings on the TV. everything was so drowned out in black it looked like SD.

It is great now, well on its way to great. I can see clarity and sharpness now as well as vividness - all were absent before.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM

It would be a worthwhile investment to get a video calibration disc to calibrate the setting on your TV, like Digital Video Essentials or Spears & Munsil. I've tried them both and prefer Spears & Munsil, it's much easier to use and understand. Here's our Josh Zyber's review of Spears & Munsil -

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2341...benchmark.html
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
It would be a worthwhile investment to get a video calibration disc to calibrate the setting on your TV, like Digital Video Essentials or Spears & Munsil. I've tried them both and prefer Spears & Munsil, it's much easier to use and understand.
I also recommend doing calibrations at the display rather than the disc player. I would set everything in the BH200 to the "User" defaults. (The "Qdeo" default setting pumps up colors and contrasts, and isn't accurate.)
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:36 AM

I have a DVD - Vikuiti LCD Set up from 3M.

It comes with blu glasses and you adjust the picture with them on - im sure you know.

My settings are all skewed now because I adjusted the TV and the LG player. I will have to take your guys' advice and put stuff on default and adjust the TV.

Does anyone know if my) (Samsung LN40A550) HDMI ports calibrate seperately? I hada westinghouse before an all 4 ports had only one control.

This player is wayyy better though, I seriously had my stomach in my throat thinking my A2 was better than my LGBH200
Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwormed View Post
I have a DVD - Vikuiti LCD Set up from 3M.

It comes with blu glasses and you adjust the picture with them on - im sure you know.

My settings are all skewed now because I adjusted the TV and the LG player. I will have to take your guys' advice and put stuff on default and adjust the TV.

Does anyone know if my) (Samsung LN40A550) HDMI ports calibrate seperately? I hada westinghouse before an all 4 ports had only one control.

This player is wayyy better though, I seriously had my stomach in my throat thinking my A2 was better than my LGBH200
Not sure without reading the manual; maybe another owner can chime in. But one thing for sure you can do calibrate the different players to different picture modes on your TV - like the BH200 on 'Vivid' mode, and another player to Cinema mode (guessing it has a picture mode called that).

That's how I calibrated my Panasonic projector. I have both players going into my Onkyo receiver via HDMI, and the the one receiver HDMI output to my projector. I used the projector's 'Normal' picture mode to calibrate my primary player, a Samsung BDP2500, and then switched the projector to Color 1 picture mode to calibrate the BH200. I just switch the picture mode on the projector for which player is being used.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Thank you very much for the input suggestion Cochise great info. I will do some research to see if my inputs are individually calibrated.

I would like to virtually high-five everyone who helped me fix my calibration issues.

Set the player to default, ran the Vikuiti 3M LCD calibration DVD, used the Blue glasses and boom! Perfect HD clarity. Amazing. Like clearing fog off a glass.

Thanks all. BH200 FTW.