BH200 not reading any HD dvds - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Default BH200 not reading any HD dvds

my BH200 is no longer playing HD dvds. it plays blu rays and dvds fine but when i put in any HD dvd from now on wont start playing. the player recognizes the disc format cause the HD DVD logo highlights and says HD dvd on the screen but wont go any further from there.

tried resetting the player and trying a different firmware but when i try doing an update now or even downgrade to another firmware it freezes.

someone else told me that i might have a corrupted memory and need to delete the memory on the player for HD dvd but it freezes as well when i do that.

and my warranty is out of date and dont feal like paying major bucks to get it repaired.

has anyone else had this problem ?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 PM

Wasn't there some issue after the last firmware update that it seemed to corrupt people's HD-DVD memory? I remember being fairly scared to try the update (and never have-- and honestly will probably wait a while before going to the new FW supposed to be released tomorrow).

Did you happen to just upgrade the FW recently?

Not sure if it was ever conclusively "proved" that the FW upgrade caused the issues, or if it was just a fluke (bad flash RAM getting corrupted), but I think the only solution was unfortunately to get it repaired by LG.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't think the firmware has anything to do with it, I'm running the latest March 09 FW and have no problems with HD DVD playback. As I recall, it's certain discs that can corrupt the HD DVD memory, with European disc the most susceptible for corrupting the memory. If its freezing when you try to delete HD DVD memory, try Initialize in the Other menu in Setup. But make a note of any settings you made as that will reset everything to factory default, but also erase BD & HD memory.

If it freezes during Initialize or Initialize doesn't help, the only other thing do try is unplugging it from the power cord for at least half an hour to do a hard reset, then try Initialize and Memory Delete again. If that doesn't do it, it's worth at least a call to LG and get a quote for repair.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
I don't think the firmware has anything to do with it, I'm running the latest March 09 FW and have no problems with HD DVD playback. As I recall, it's certain discs that can corrupt the HD DVD memory, with European disc the most susceptible for corrupting the memory. If its freezing when you try to delete HD DVD memory, try Initialize in the Other menu in Setup. But make a note of any settings you made as that will reset everything to factory default, but also erase BD & HD memory.

If it freezes during Initialize or Initialize doesn't help, the only other thing do try is unplugging it from the power cord for at least half an hour to do a hard reset, then try Initialize and Memory Delete again. If that doesn't do it, it's worth at least a call to LG and get a quote for repair.
only imports i have is terminator 2 the directors cut on hhhhdvd and i have afew region 2 dvds that ive watched on my player but i dont see how the dvd imports would affect playing hhhhdvd. and the player has been like this for months now.

ive tried the initialize option under HD dvd storage. i tried factory set and even HD dvd flash clear and it freezes each time then i have to turn off the player. even freezes when i do BD flash clear.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM

as far as has anyone else had this problem--
unfortunately the answer is a big fat YES.
many people have reported that this player just stops reading HD DVDs for some reason.
the avs thread on the problems is a mile long.
maybe look there also for help.