LG BH200 audio setup question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Default LG BH200 audio setup question

I'm having a bit of a problem understanding the proper audio setting for my particular setup. I have my BH200 connected via HDMI to my projector, but the only audio output is via optical to a Yamaha receiver that only processes Dolby Digital or PCM stereo and not DTS. Am I correct I need to adjust from the BH200's audio settings for SPDIF for my setup? Right now, I have it at the default of PCM stereo and of course the receiver shows PCM and only in stereo. How do I get it to output a 5.1 DD signal for the receiver. Is it "Primary Pass Thru"? From what I have read online though, this seems to send the 7.1 HD audio signal to the receiver if that is the primary audio track on a disc, which of course my receiver won't understand. And I imagine the "DTS Re-encode" option wouldn't work as my receiver doesn't have DTS. Can someone help me with the proper setting to get sound from all 5.1 channels?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 AM

So no one has replied to my thread for the past 3 weeks. Isn't ANYONE else using the BH200 with an old 5.1 receiver that only has spdif (optical) input? My receiver shows 2-channel PCM regardless of whether I have the BH200 set to PCM stereo or pass-through for the SPDIF output. I can't believe this otherwise excellent player cannot provide a DD5.1 output via anything other than HDMI. Am I really stuck with a 2-channel stereo output only? Is this a common problem for all BD players or unique to the BH200?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytrade View Post
So no one has replied to my thread for the past 3 weeks. Isn't ANYONE else using the BH200 with an old 5.1 receiver that only has spdif (optical) input? My receiver shows 2-channel PCM regardless of whether I have the BH200 set to PCM stereo or pass-through for the SPDIF output. I can't believe this otherwise excellent player cannot provide a DD5.1 output via anything other than HDMI. Am I really stuck with a 2-channel stereo output only? Is this a common problem for all BD players or unique to the BH200?
Sorry, sometimes posts get buried or overlooked here in the Cross Format Hardware forum. According to the table on page 36 yes, with the SPDIF output set to to PrimaryPass-Thru you should get Dolby Digital 5.1 - but only for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio tracks. For a disc with any flavor of DTS (DTS, DTS-HD HR/Master Audio) the player is going to try to output DTS which your receiver can decode so you won't hear any audio.

If you're saying you get only 2 channel PCM no matter what setting you select, then something else is going on. I noticed this on the bottom of page 36: "The audio output for the Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD source through the SPDIF (DIGITAL AUDIO OUT) jack is limited to PCM 2ch if HDMI output is set to PCM Multi-Ch and [SPDIF] option is set to [Primary Pass-Thru]'. Even though you're not using HDMI audio, try setting HDMI to Primary Pass-Thru and see if that makes a difference. The other thing you might try is changing the Sampling Freq. setting (just below SPDIF in the menu) between 48/96/192 Hz to see which one matches up with your receiver.

And, you probably don't want to hear this, but since you sprang for such a nice player as the BH200, you really might want to consider upgrading your receiver. Even if you don't want to spring the bucks for a receiver with HDMI audio, a used receiver with digital optical input and DTS decoding can be had for really cheap. I have my 8 year old Sony receiver with digital optical & DTS decoding sitting in a closet gathering dust because I wasn't willing to take the high bid of $25 I got for it on Craigslist. For $25, I'd rather keep it for a backup if I ever need to send my Onkyo into the shop for service. And, looking through the BH200 manual, the DTS re-code seems the best option for digital optical output - you'll get multi-channel DTS for any flavor of Dolby Digital or DTS used on HD DVD or Blu-ray.

Last edited by Cochise; 06-03-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old 05-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. It seems when I set the SPDIF output to primary pass-thru, it does output DD5.1 when such a soundtrack exists on the source disc. I still can find no way in every combination of audio settings to get the player to downmix to 5.1 any 7.1 audio track. Whether I set the player to PCM stereo or Primary Pass Thru as the output, the 7.1 track is read by my receiver as PCM stereo, which means the vast majority of hi def media will only be playable for me as a stereo soundtrack.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytrade View Post
Thanks for the reply. It seems when I set the SPDIF output to primary pass-thru, it does output DD5.1 when such a soundtrack exists on the source disc. I still can find no way in every combination of audio settings to get the player to downmix to 5.1 any 7.1 audio track. Whether I set the player to PCM stereo or Primary Pass Thru as the output, the 7.1 track is read by my receiver as PCM stereo, which means the vast majority of hi def media will only be playable for me as a stereo soundtrack.
That's why I suggested you consider upgrading to a receiver that can decode DTS. From the table on page 36 of the user manual, the re-code to DTS option will give you multi-channel audio for just about everything:

Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 PM

Is this a limitation with most BD players? If there are other players that can downmix a Dolby 7.1 to 5.1 output, it would be way cheaper for me to buy a new BD player than a decent new receiver. My current receiver was a top-of-the-line Yamaha that cost $1200 which is why I am hesitant to get a new entry-level 7.1 receiver to replace it. Oh, what about HD-DVD players? Do they downmix? Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 AM

Most players that downmix for digital optical output use that re-code to DTS scheme as it makes use of the maximum output for optical of 1.5 mbps.

Does your Yamaha receiver have 5.1/7.1 analog inputs? If so, that would be the better route. A number of blu-ray and HD DVD players can decode most audio codecs and output via 5.1/7.1 analog.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Most players that downmix for digital optical output use that re-code to DTS scheme as it makes use of the maximum output for optical of 1.5 mbps.
That used to be true with the better standalones. However, even the lauded PS3 downmixes 5.1 PCM to stereo over optical.

Multichannel analog isn't really an option w/ the BH200. Only the BH100 has multichannel analog outputs.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM

The only way I can think of to use your specific combination of hardware with 5.1 audio is to get an external DTS decoder. Set the BH200 to output DTS. Send the DTS audio optical to an external DTS decoder first, then the external decoder's analog outputs to your receiver. That is pretty much exactly what they are for.

Unless you have a ton of HD-DVD titles, you might be better off just getting a new BD player with analog outs.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:54 PM

I actually have precisely the same problem on the Radeon 5800 over HDMI to new a Pioneer receiver followed by to 5.1 speakers and TV due to receiver. Under Win7 64bit only two channel output was available in the "AMD HDMI Output" having said that i finally narrowed that problem right down to due to date video card drivers, such as the Windows HDMI driver.

Now much like Csice highlights I too see 8 channels available as well as every speaker individually tests Ok yet the encoder light never comes on and a couple channels is perhaps all I ever get no matter the content. I've checked to be certain my receiver isn't set to acquire audio back out of the TV and am still wanting a solution.