Oh, BH200... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-12-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Oh, BH200...

So, I've tried to order the gorgeous BH200 a few times and have been met with demonic resistance.

Round #1: A website that seemed too good to be true WAS and ended up being fraudulent. They were selling new BH200's for 275$. Luckily, the charge was removed.

Round #2: BestBuy outlet on overstock had/has them and I tried again. Got a BH200 that didn't read any discs. Since I actually had a BH200 on hand I wanted to send it to LG b/c it was under warranty. Well, they don't have the parts to fix it (they've been backordered for 15 weeks) and are just refunding my money.

I'm not bashing at all, quite the contrary I REALLY want a BH200 and think LG has some of the best customer service and product quality. In fact I just ordered a display/used BH200 from ConsumerDepot

But an interesting question remains, is LG unable to repair the BH200? (Obviously I'm only getting refunded because of my purchase date.)
Old 02-12-2009, 10:49 PM

LG isn't the wonderful, docile company you make them out to be...you've finally been smacked in the face with their unfriendly side. The above is the first I've heard of LG being unable to repair the BH200. It wouldn't hurt to look for a BD-UP5000. I've heard 3 or more success stories in the last month where open box models that were broken were repaired successfully under warranty.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post
So, I've tried to order the gorgeous BH200 a few times and have been met with demonic resistance.

Round #2: BestBuy outlet on overstock had/has them and I tried again. Got a BH200 that didn't read any discs. Since I actually had a BH200 on hand I wanted to send it to LG b/c it was under warranty. Well, they don't have the parts to fix it (they've been backordered for 15 weeks) and are just refunding my money.

I'm not bashing at all, quite the contrary I REALLY want a BH200 and think LG has some of the best customer service and product quality. In fact I just ordered a display/used BH200 from ConsumerDepot

But an interesting question remains, is LG unable to repair the BH200? (Obviously I'm only getting refunded because of my purchase date.)
Well, obviously LG didn't plan ahead and keep sufficient replacement parts for the player. And that explains the crazy prices on eBay for broken ones - here's one that says:
NOTE: UNIT FREEZES WHEN YOU PUT IN A BLU-RAY DVD.

and it's at $99.98 with 3 days yet to go in the auction.

I don't get the love affair. OK, my primary TV is CRT rear projection and can't accept PAL input, but I can't think of a single PAL DVD I would want to buy, so the region free DVD is meaningless for me. And while I do like imports - I have a bunch of HD DVD imports and import is about all I buy on blu-ray as I can rent the US releases from Blockbuster - there's maybe 2-3 BDs I'd buy that are region locked. But, no thanks, I'll stick with my $130 Panasonic BD35 from Best Buy Outlet/Overstock auctions, and my Onkyo HD805 for hhhhdvd & DVDs.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I'll stick with my $130 Panasonic BD35 from Best Buy Outlet/Overstock auctions.
That's well within reason of what I paid for my BH200. $213 - $75 rebate = $138.

Granted, our situations are different. I have 100-200 region locked and/or PAL DVDs that I can now watch upscaled over HDMI. I've also bought several locked Blu-rays since I got my BH200. Regardless they can be had for prices that are very reasonable
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
That's well within reason of what I paid for my BH200. $213 - $75 rebate = $138.
I keep forgetting about that $75 rebate - maybe that's why folks pay the crazy prices for broken ones - get the $75 rebate & keep it for spare parts - LG doesn't seem to have any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester217300 View Post
Granted, our situations are different. I have 100-200 region locked and/or PAL DVDs that I can now watch upscaled over HDMI. I've also bought several locked Blu-rays since I got my BH200. Regardless they can be had for prices that are very reasonable
Well, yeah if you already have that large a collection of PAL / non-region 1 DVDs, that is a big benefit to watch them upscaled now. At this point I almost never buy a standard DVD, so I'm not starting a PAL collection at this point. Stargate UK release is one region locked BD I would buy - one of my favorites and the US BD is crap.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Wow, that's not good news if LG can no longer repair them. I was planning on selling one of my older units. I hope they are going the way of Samsung and find another repair center. The first Sasmung unit I sent for repair was to New Jersey and now it seems that all are going to Southern California and actually getting repaired. I'm surprised they didn't offer the BD300 although having one unit that plays both formats is a tremendous plus. The cool back light buttons with chimes is also a nice touch.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 PM

I wasn't aware LG was having difficulty repairing these players. This player isn't going to be what I had hoped it would be, that much is clear at this time.

Chris