DTS audio problems with BH200 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 PM

Default DTS audio problems with BH200

I am having problems with DTS audio via HDMI direct to my Pioneer plasma that I use when my kids watch Blu ray movies. On discs that have a choice of audio formats I must select non DTS or The sound is loud and distorted/metallic sounding. I set the LG BH200 for 2 channel pcm via HDMI that goes to the TV only. Any sugestions? I also was able to play blu ray via spdif to my harmon AV7200 with DTS or Dolby until I updated the soft ware and firmware to the June version, I wnt back to the April version and the one prior to that with no improvement. I am planning on upgrading my reciever soon but I need to be able to go from disc player direct to TV and some of the newer blu rays are DTS only, no other choices in the menu
Old 12-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Is there such a thing as a DTS decoder gone bad? Maybe someone else will add.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Default I figured it out

Before I updated the software on the BH200 It would not decode DTS HD correctly and my older Harmon AVR7200 with non HD DTS decoder produced decent sound with a very faint distotion in the back round. But now with the BH200 decoding DTS HD it through my receiver for a loop. Also since the BH200 is not decoding the DTS HD no matter what I do with the output setting for HDMI my Pioneer Plasma is getting undecoded DTS HD and is severely distorted.
I am now shopping for a new AV receiver.=p~
Old 01-04-2009, 05:09 PM

For your Pioneer plasma, turn DRC on (makes no difference for DTS) and set your HDMI audio to stereo or even down mix. Moreover, set the maximum sampling frequency to down to 48 (does make a difference) rather than 96 or 192.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Most, if not all, TV's don't decode DTS, usually only Dolby Digital. I've had this happen to my TV when there's a DTS only audio option on some of my movies. I have to hook up my player to my surround sound system in order to get DTS playback. Because TVs can't decode DTS, you'll always get missing audio if you player in hooked up to your TV and select a DTS audio format.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 AM

When I first got my BH200 I had a similar problem where any DTS sound whatsoever wouldn't play. I didn't notice it at first because most of my movies at the time were DD, but when I rented The Eye I noticed it because it was the only english audio. I wasn't sure if it was my tv or receiver, but I fiddled around with everything and it still didn't work. It would basically freeze whenever a DTS audio was selected, but when I changed it to DD it would play fine.

I then tried a regular DVD with DTS and it still froze, so I had to call LG and bring it to a local Electronics shop that was a certified by LG. They eventually said it was a motherboard problem and had to get it replaced. This happened almost a year ago when it was still under warranty and it's been pretty flawless since. I couldn't find any other reports about people having similar problems, so I guess I just got a bunk one.

I hope this one lasts though because my warranty has expired.

If you can play any sort of DTS then that is a step up from what I had.