LG BH200 FW Questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Question LG BH200 Super Blu FW Questions

After being Purple for the past year, decided to get the LG combo player for my bedroom HDM source (42" DLP!). Got it from CC for $333 and will also have it as a back up to my stand-alone players (A2 HD-DVDhhhhdvd & BD-P1400bbblu) that are in my main HT.

1. What should I be looking for as the latest firmware update on the BH200?

2. Any suggestions for the best settings-hookups or any major playback issues with this unit??

I appreciate any inputs!

Ted

Last edited by theophile; 11-18-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:55 PM

You'll find some good advice from the people here.

From what I've read most recommend the April Firmware and not the most recent. Several features like AVCHD were removed in the most recent (June?) update. I hope they put it back next update but doubt it will return (even though the box and owners manual touts AVCHD playback capability).
Old 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM

I hoping someone can give me their opinion/input/help. I was able to get a bh200 of off ebay. It is due to be delivered on Monday. I bought the player because I want to use it to play my hd movies and as a region 2 blu-ray player. I seem the threads about upgrading the player and how to change the blu region on the player.

My question is, is it as easy as it sounds to upgrade and to change it to a region 2 player?

Thanks ahead of time...
Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xboxbydegrees View Post
I hoping someone can give me their opinion/input/help. I was able to get a bh200 of off ebay. It is due to be delivered on Monday. I bought the player because I want to use it to play my hd movies and as a region 2 blu-ray player. I seem the threads about upgrading the player and how to change the blu region on the player.

My question is, is it as easy as it sounds to upgrade and to change it to a region 2 player?

Thanks ahead of time...
Do you mean region 2 as in DVD? or Blu?

I know it can be changed for either, I'll see if I can a find link for it.

**edit**

Found link for a AVS write up.
LG BH200: Mini-FAQ + Firmware Info + SD DVD Multiregion!
This should have the info you are looking for

I pretty sure it has been post in this forum before but I don't know where.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Sorry. Region 2 blu player. I have this 'guide' printed out for when the player gets here.

Like I said I just wanted to know if it was as easy as it sounds.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Xbox-I have 2 of these players, and I use them to switch BD regions to watch "Locked" movies from other countries, and also to play PAL discs. Yes, it is easy. The "multi-region" functionality for SD discs is permanent, so you don't need to keep switching it, every time you want to watch a movie from another region, or in addition a "PAL" disc. Some SD's may be from other countries, but are not necessarily PAL discs. If you have a Region 2 Disc, it's likely PAL.

If you are in the US, your TV most likely does not support PAL, but the player, once enabled with the info in the guide, will "convert" content, and show you the PAL movie on your NTSC (US standard) TV. I've purchased numerous TV sets and other movies from the UK, and they play fine.

Use the instructions that pertain to your TV's capabilities (supports PAL, or does not) and you will be fine.

To play "locked" Region B Blu-Rays, you need to switch the region each time you want to play a "locked" disc, but it's very easy. Most discs are not locked-you can check blurayregioncodes.com and click the appropriate region at the top, to see if it's locked.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any questions.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:46 PM

I love how versatile the BH200 is. Simple and easy to undo if you need to.

i did similar hack for the HD-xa2 and that was a pain to do and required a hex editor and CD burning program.

The BH200 is very easy to work with in this regard. And you can go back to older firmware just as easily and with thumb drive if you want.

Quote:
FROM AVS
* Is it possible to switch between Blu-ray Regions A, B or C?

Yes . A big thanks to members PeterjCat, Krobar, Dring, AlfaGT & Robertpierre for finding & working out how to switch between BD Regions A, B or C.

Default strings:

USA: 55 53 00 00 00 05 00 40
Canada: 43 41 00 01 00 05 00 40

* All codes also enable PAL, see below if your TV doesn't support PAL!
* It is not currently possible to Enable Blu-ray Region Free or a Combination of Region A, B and C.

Do NOT change any of the other values, it is not known what they affect!

Instructions:

1. Open the tray, with no disc in the tray
2. Press PAUSE, 1, 4, 7, 2
3. Change the fourth HEX value (the bold value in the defaults above) to: Region A - 80, Region B - 92, Region C - A6 - Does your TV support PAL? See Below!
4. Press PAUSE to save & close the EEPROM Menu
5. Turn the BH200 Off - Normal power button

If your TV doesn't support PAL, use these alternate codes (if you're unsure, use these codes!): Region A - 00, Region B - 20, Region C - 26

NOTE: The Region B and Region C codes will also disable/hide the "Network Update" option, switching to Region A will enable/show it again.
You will notice the code to switch the BH200 to Region A is the same code that enables PAL below.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalbabe View Post
Xbox-I have 2 of these players, and I use them to switch BD regions to watch "Locked" movies from other countries, and also to play PAL discs. Yes, it is easy. The "multi-region" functionality for SD discs is permanent, so you don't need to keep switching it, every time you want to watch a movie from another region, or in addition a "PAL" disc. Some SD's may be from other countries, but are not necessarily PAL discs. If you have a Region 2 Disc, it's likely PAL.

If you are in the US, your TV most likely does not support PAL, but the player, once enabled with the info in the guide, will "convert" content, and show you the PAL movie on your NTSC (US standard) TV. I've purchased numerous TV sets and other movies from the UK, and they play fine.

Use the instructions that pertain to your TV's capabilities (supports PAL, or does not) and you will be fine.

To play "locked" Region B Blu-Rays, you need to switch the region each time you want to play a "locked" disc, but it's very easy. Most discs are not locked-you can check blurayregioncodes.com and click the appropriate region at the top, to see if it's locked.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any questions.

Thank you both for your help! I will pm if I need help or have questions tomorrow when it is delivered.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM

I got my player today!! It is amazing, it is awesome and it is easy to switch the regions and play movies!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:03 AM

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of region free playback!