Lil Help? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Question Lil Help?

Been looking at combo players. So been trying to decide between the BD-UP5000 or the LG BH-200. Ive kept an eye on the threads here. And from what I can tell most think the LG BH-200 is a better product/option. But Ive also been hearing that the 5000 with its recent update in firmware has maybe jumped in front of the 200.

So if you guys could be kind enough to give your opinions I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:50 AM

check the cross format section for more details. Based purely off specs I think the Samsung is the way to go just because the audio output is much better.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM

It depends on your setup. If you have an audio receiver that decodes the newer formats, I would get the LG model as it loads a bit faster and seems a slight bit less glitchy. If you have an older reciever you may want to get the Sammy as it has analog outs. Both products have been vastly improved since release with firmware updates.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
check the cross format section for more details. Based purely off specs I think the Samsung is the way to go just because the audio output is much better.
Ive checked the cross format section. Im just looking for personal views on the products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob
It depends on your setup. If you have an audio receiver that decodes the newer formats, I would get the LG model as it loads a bit faster and seems a slight bit less glitchy. If you have an older reciever you may want to get the Sammy as it has analog outs. Both products have been vastly improved since release with firmware updates.
Thanks, Ive read plenty of reviews on each product. But pro reviews never covers stuff like this "you have to mash down the eject button on the remote 3 times to get the damn thing to open".
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM

I have had the sammy for about 4 months now. At first, the player would freeze up once about every 20 or so movies I watched, usually HD DVDs. I know, I watch a lot of movies.

Since the firmware upgrade, I have had no problems with freezing at all. I tried all the movies I had trouble with before, and everything worked fine.

I have only tried using PiP once, on Jumper. This is where I had a problem. The remote and buttons on the player itself were simply unresponsive during playback with the PiP on. Of course, this is the only 1.1 disc I have tried using the feature on. I'll see if I have any other movies I can try PiP on and post the results.

In a nutshell, I like this player a lot after the upgrade.

Also, the upconverting on this player is amazing.

P.S. I only rented Jumper. I didnt care for it too much.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:15 AM

Well, I own both players right now and my personal setup is LG in the movie room, and the Samsung in the bedroom.
Both players are really good now after the last firmwares have been released.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:14 PM

I don't know much about the 5000 personally, but I can recommend the BH 200. I love the player and have had no problems since the firmware update. Itís really a solid and good-looking player.

Check out my thread for more info if you'd like.
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50038
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHunt View Post
I don't know much about the 5000 personally, but I can recommend the BH 200. I love the player and have had no problems since the firmware update. Itís really a solid and good-looking player.

Check out my thread for more info if you'd like.
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50038
Thanks for the link. That was a good thread to read on the BH200. Ive actually been leaning towards the BH200. Ive been looking at both the BH200 and the 5000 on the used market. Lot more 5000's available than the BH200.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:47 PM

That's cause the 5000's were more of a pain in the arse until just recently.

(Minus the Reon)
Old 06-24-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
That's cause the 5000's were more of a pain in the arse until just recently.

(Minus the Reon)
Yeah thats what I was assuming as well (that it was past issues).