Panasonic BD30 + Toshiba A35 VS. LG BH200 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Panasonic BD30 + Toshiba A35 VS. LG BH200

The past few days I've been thinking about going for a LG BH200, especially since the new firmware that allows bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, 1080p/24, etc, etc is available.

My current setup is a Panasonic DMP-BD30 for a Blu-ray player and the Toshiba HD-A35 for an HD DVD player.

The convenience of one HDMI cable, less programming on the remote and the use of less shelf space all stand out to me when choosing the LG BH200 over the Panny + Toshiba combo.

My knowledge is quite limited when it comes to PQ/AQ, playback issues, etc...

Does any one have any suggestions as to which I should go with? Plus I hear that the BH200 will be BD-Live (profile 2.0) capable via a firmware update(???).
Old 04-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Formerly candymangt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr123 View Post
The past few days I've been thinking about going for a LG BH200, especially since the new firmware that allows bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, 1080p/24, etc, etc is available.

My current setup is a Panasonic DMP-BD30 for a Blu-ray player and the Toshiba HD-A35 for an HD DVD player.

The convenience of one HDMI cable, less programming on the remote and the use of less shelf space all stand out to me when choosing the LG BH200 over the Panny + Toshiba combo.

My knowledge is quite limited when it comes to PQ/AQ, playback issues, etc...

Does any one have any suggestions as to which I should go with? Plus I hear that the BH200 will be BD-Live (profile 2.0) capable via a firmware update(???).
Did you ever go with the BH200? IF you did, how are you enjoying it?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:58 AM

I am sticking with the PS3/HD-XA2 combination because I can't convince myself that either LG or Samsung could make a player to handle either format as well. I don't think the LG BH200 can be updated to profile 2.0. I have way too many players and would certainly welcome an all inclusive player Blu-ray/HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD-V/CD but I don't think that will ever happen.

I would like to hear his impressions if he did replace those two players with one HD DVD/Blu-ray player. Since nothing further has been stated, it may be hasn't decided to do that deal yet.

Chris
Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 AM

Yeah, I like my BD-30 / XA2 pairing, A35 for backup. I'm not convinced a combo player can perform as well with BDs as the BD-30 can, nor with HD DVDs as well as the XA2/A35. Space isn't a problem - I have the BD30 stacked on top of my XA2. And another benefit of having two players is if one ever needs to go in for service, I still have a player for high def. With a combo player, if it ever needs service, you're SOL.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 PM

^That's why you have a backup combo player on hand. I think these combos have the potential to be just (or nearly) as good as their individual counterparts, it just depends on Samsung/LG's commitment.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:24 PM

For me, I got a combo refurbed for $380 which was cheaper than any used/refurbed XA2 that I can find. I too have the A35 as backup but I do not want to use my PS3 for movies in fear that it'll shorten the lifespan of the optics in it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:58 PM

I bought the BH200 rather than a separate Blu-Ray player off E-bay. It was only $50 or so more than a BD30 would've cost me. Moreover, it's likely capable of going to profile 2.0, doesn't have a crap upscaler and can internally decode Dolby TrueHD. It doesn't have the 7.1 analog outs of the DMP-BD30, but err... PCM tracks are going away. Disney and Lionsgate can fight the good fight, but even Sony who introduced the most popular Blu-Ray standalone gimped w/o TrueHD decoding releases its new movies w/ Dolby TrueHD only these days.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
I bought the BH200 rather than a separate Blu-Ray player off E-bay. It was only $50 or so more than a BD30 would've cost me. Moreover, it's likely capable of going to profile 2.0, doesn't have a crap upscaler and can internally decode Dolby TrueHD. It doesn't have the 7.1 analog outs of the DMP-BD30, but err... PCM tracks are going away. Disney and Lionsgate can fight the good fight, but even Sony who introduced the most popular Blu-Ray standalone gimped w/o TrueHD decoding releases its new movies w/ Dolby TrueHD only these days.
If the BH200 is updated to Profile 2.0, it will be a great player at the price available today for those that want HD DVD and Blu-ray. I don't know if that is possible, I thought it wasn't. The Panasonic DMP-BD30 does not have 7.1 analog output, only 5.1. The DMP-BD10A/K did have 7.1 analog out.

Chris
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Yeah, I like my BD-30 / XA2 pairing, A35 for backup. I'm not convinced a combo player can perform as well with BDs as the BD-30 can, nor with HD DVDs as well as the XA2/A35.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Space isn't a problem - I have the BD30 stacked on top of my XA2. And another benefit of having two players is if one ever needs to go in for service, I still have a player for high def. With a combo player, if it ever needs service, you're SOL.
+1