LG BH200: Can't see any Negatives - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:21 PM

Default LG BH200: Can't see any Negatives

LG BH200

The convenience of an HD DVD player/ DVD 1080p up-conversion, Qdeo Video Processing/ and one of the most reliable 1.1 Blu-ray players currently on the market. The "SUPER BLU PLAYER" lives up to its name.

The April now JUNE update has made any quirks, issues with drop-outs or freezing and any other problems on Blu or HD DVD a thing of the past. The performance of this player has been nothing less than stellar. Build quality is great and stable. A solid unit all around and have zero complaints.

It's been a couple of months now and I can say that I'm still in love with this player. Certainly the most satisfying HDM product I've purchased so far. I don't even remember what having problems with HD players is like. Basically, LG made it as easy as DVD.

If anyone is still looking for a quality Blu-ray player and has a decent size collection of HD DVD's than it's a no brainer. And with price cuts, this player might prove to be irresistible. But get them while you can.

Please share your BH200 story, good or bad. And any other info or advice.

January 09!!! Firmware:

Disc Fixes - Compatibility issue with certain Java enabled BD's.

June Firmware:

DTS-HD/MA & TrueHD 7.1

April Firmware:

(BD Profile 1.1)
Audio Improvements:
DTS-HD 7.1Ch output/ Dolby Digital Plus 7.1Ch/ Dolby TrueHD 7.1Ch decode/PCM output via HDMI.
Film Mode (1080p 24Hz)
Firmware update via Network.

Problem Discs issues: FIXED; Still some reported issues with certain, few, discs.
Dropouts: FIXED
Audio issues: FIXED
SD DVD issues: FIXED

UPDATE: NEW!! January 09 firmware update

LG Electronics Service...LG_BH_LV221BH.zip
Under: Software Upgrades - Product Group; TV/Audio/Video. Product; DVD&Video&Set Top.
Latest Update: Called LG_BH_LV221BH.zip, located as first/top of list. Recommend USB method, super easy.

Rebate Info: $75 BD-Live Rebate offered.

Call: (800) 243-0000 ~ Ask about the rebate being offered, with receipt and S/N ready. You will have to fax a copy of the receipt to a specified number. Seems pretty painless, all purchased BH200's qualify, no time limit.

Last edited by JackHunt; 11-20-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM

What is the start up time like on this unit? Is it similar to your A35? I'm thinking about picking one of these up since the audio problems seem to have been fixed via the latest firmware update.

Also, do you use HDMI with your receiver? Does it bitstream TrueHD and other high res audio?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 PM

I just clocked it. 1:01 + about 10 seconds to skip through the previews on 3:10 and then it's instant to play the film. The start up time seems to be about 1:25 from a powered down unit. It seems like their is more going on than with my A35, but the time is similar, if not mere seconds longer.

No, I don't have the audio hooked up via HDMI. So I'm not sure about the bit stream. Just using my TV speakers right now. Currently, I'm shopping around for a better unit.

But would definitely recommend it so far. I'm truly impressed.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM

Does it have a remote hack to bypass region coding on otherwise locked BD imports (as per modern DVD players)?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:36 PM

I'm not sure about that one either, will have to read up on the hacks and region coding. I'll get back to you. I haven't imported anything yet, so I haven't checked it out.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to get one as I'm not sure if there will be a BH300. It'll be hard to convince the wife as she's not too thrilled with my now obsolete A35 that I purchased for $400. Ouch!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM

I know what you mean. The BH300 does concern me, if there will ever be one I'm sure I'll have some regrets, but such is life. And the price is steep, but I convinced myself it's worth it for the dual capability and future update promises.

I am engaged, but my Fiancé doesn’t know what’s going on when it comes to these things. I came home all happy and I was like look babe, Super Blue, it’s the freaking Super Blue and she’s like what? Anyway, my Birthday is next week so I treated myself.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHunt View Post
I'm not sure about that one either, will have to read up on the hacks and region coding. I'll get back to you. I haven't imported anything yet, so I haven't checked it out.
I'd be genuinely curious to here if could be made to work. Until then it's a big negative for me, I'm too used to having the freedom to import DVDs (HD or otherwise) from anywhere in the world to take a step backwards.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
I'd be genuinely curious to here if could be made to work. Until then it's a big negative for me, I'm too used to having the freedom to import DVDs (HD or otherwise) from anywhere in the world to take a step backwards.

This is what I could find doing a quick google.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010650

Hope this helps? I'm not that educated on region DVD's or Blu's, have never imported. The thread seems to point to a SD DVD hack though. Although the majority of the posters are European.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Just put on “The Bourne Ultimatum” HD DVD as my final test for the night. That title was always hell on my A35 for some reason.

Went through the parts that used to lock up and everything is fine. Looks good, will try more Blu's tomorrow.
Closed Thread