Any good analog audio 5000's out there? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Any good analog audio 5000's out there?

I'm thinking of taking the risk....I've got quite a collection of red and I want to output to analog 5.1 in both formats.

Has anyone been able to do this or are they all subject to the vaporware update?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Haven't read much here, huh?

I have a 5000, have done one FW update (painlessly), and use the 6-channel analog putputs. My player will either not decode Dolby TrueHD or won't send it to the analog outputs. Everything else it handles correctly.

Buy one if you want to play both disc formats; I'm sure pleased with mine.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
Haven't read much here, huh?

I have a 5000, have done one FW update (painlessly), and use the 6-channel analog putputs. My player will either not decode Dolby TrueHD or won't send it to the analog outputs. Everything else it handles correctly.

Buy one if you want to play both disc formats; I'm sure pleased with mine.
Actually I have read a lot. The 5000 owners who post the most seem to fall into two camps. The people who use audio thru the HDMI and enjoy the usual codecs, DTS,DD. And those who don't have it hooked to a surround system so don't care either way. I have a 1200 that I have hooked up to 5.1 analog and I'm pretty happy with it even though I'm not getting True HD or DTS-MA. In fact I like it a little better than my PS3 that I have in my theater outputting through Toslink. (I don't have an HDMI reciever in my theater.) My Toshiba A2 sounds better than my PS3. It also outputs audio through Toslink.
If I can get DTS-MA through Analog or even a better sound than I'm getting from my PS3 I will be able to justify(just barely adding one player two my rack who does both for $300 more.
Space isn't an issue.
Price isn't an issue if it sounds a little better than what I already have.

Thanks for the info.
Is anyone else using the analog outputs?
Hows does it work for 5.1?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Special Member

I use the analog and it sounds fine......If you want the internal decoding of the advanced codecs (DTS\MA, TrueHD 5.1) then you will have to wait until May when the firmware update should be released to address the codec issue.

There are a few users that have it connected via Analog though . I dont have any other player to compare it to so I might be a bad example and not much "help" to you. IMO though this player especially for those with older systems is the best bet. With the Samsung at least we have a chance of getting 5.1 advanced audio codecs though analog there is no other player that offers this AND plays both formats in a single package.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM

Ph8: "......If you want the internal decoding of the advanced codecs (DTS\MA, TrueHD 5.1) then you will have to wait until May..."

Well, I don't know what mine is sending to the analog outputs if it's NOT the result of properly decoding DTS HD Master Lossless Audio, but when I select that soundtrack on the 19 discs I have with that codec, they decode and sound just fine.

As I wrote previously, Dolby TrueHD is the only audio codec that doesn't work on my 5000.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Analog audio from the 5000

I bought a 5000.
The sound did not disappoint .
I put in Superman returns (HDDVD) and started the movie. Partially through it I clicked the settings menus. I selected true HD. I got a pop up saying that my player could not support it. I closed the window and the sound was better!! The menu said I was in Dolby True HD??!!

Have any of you seen this? I did the same with Batman begins and got the same result ..better sound!
What is that? True HD? Dolby Digital only louder? Something else?
What are your thoughts?
Old 02-23-2008, 01:16 AM

I do not have a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA receiver, but I will say that I think the DD5.1 and DTS core sound better from the 5000 than my 1200 or 1000 ever did.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggani View Post
I do not have a Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA receiver, but I will say that I think the DD5.1 and DTS core sound better from the 5000 than my 1200 or 1000 ever did.
I don't either. How does it compare to your A2?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 AM

Bought it yesterday, hooked it up through the Analog and got no sound.....My A/V is listed below, I think I have it plugged into the right ones, or do I plug them into the Pre Amp ones?

I read through both manuals did everything correctly.....I think.

Any help?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynthnut View Post
Bought it yesterday, hooked it up through the Analog and got no sound.....My A/V is listed below, I think I have it plugged into the right ones, or do I plug them into the Pre Amp ones?

I read through both manuals did everything correctly.....I think.

Any help?
You made sure you selected the correct input right? Just asking because you never know.......BTW I took a look at your Pioneer and it should be connected to the "Multi Chan In". Also, make sure that all your connections match up (center-center, Sub-Sub)