Samsung Bd-up5000 Home Theater Review Link - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned

Default Samsung Bd-up5000 Home Theater Review Link

Home Theater’s review of the Samsung BD-UP5000

For those who are considering purchasing a dual format player here is a excellent review of the positives and negatives of the player that well be going out of production in May. The BD-UP5500 might replace the BD-UP5000.

Profile 1.1 support quote
“While the manual (likely printed some time ago) states that the Duo HD does not support the BD-Java features that require Profile 1.1 (such as picture-in-picture video commentaries) hardware, Samsung claims that the player now does play those features. “

Does not have the min hardware requirements for Profile 2.0 (BD-LIVE Quote
“The Duo HD has a (LAN) Ethernet port but is not spec'd as a Profile 2.0 (BD Live) player.s”

Multichannel analog outputs muted when 1080P/24 output mode is selected quote
“The Duo HD can output 1080p/24 or 1080p/60 over HDMI, and 1080i over component. Unfortunately, selecting 24fps mutes the multichannel analog outputs.”

Advanced audio codec’s like DTS HD Master Audio coming in a firmware update in May according to what Samsung says (quote)
“Samsung has told us that a firmware update to pass soundtracks in both of these lossless formats to a suitable A/V receiver, in bitstream form, is in the works. But it isn't due until May. The fact that it's still four months off suggests that a considerable amount of engineering is involved, and you can't always engineer to a deadline. Our experience with most manufacturers suggests that it's a dicey move, at best, to base a purchase decision on a promised delivery date for future vaporware.”

Firmware updates quotes
With the constant flood of important firmware updates coming out for this and other players, a user should not be required to have an intimate grasp of computers—or any computer knowledge at all—to get his or her player up to speed. One obvious solution would be for manufacturers to keep buyers' info from warrantee cards on file and overnight an update disc to each customer. I'm sorry, manufacturers, if this sounds like too much trouble. But if you can't get the product working right out of the gate, or if a format is in constant flux, the consumer shouldn't be required to be a computer-geek and beta-tester to fix it. And if you expect high definition on disc to go mass market, this situation needs to be addressed—and fast.”

Some positive quotes

It also properly de-interlaced 1080i material to 1080p, including recognition of 3/2 pulldown. 1080i isn't common on high definition discs, but you will find it on concert releases.”

” Disc loading times were comparable to the newest dedicated HD DVD and Blu-ray players I've tested. Short of Sony's PlayStation3 for Blu-ray (still the speed champ) you won't do much better. In one respect, however, the Samsung was very fast: its time from power-up to drawer-open was a swift 15 seconds.
But where the Samsung really excelled was in pure picture quality. The Samsung produced high definition images from both BD and HD DVD that were as good—and sometimes better—than those I've seen from high definition players dedicated to either format. The improvement was not dramatic, but in its color saturation, sharpness (without artificiality), depth, and overall image "pop" the Duo HD marginally beat out the Panasonic DMP-BD30 on Blu-ray and at least equaled the Toshiba HD-A35 on HD DVD”

Conclusions
The Samsung BD-UP5000 is in many ways a superb high definition disc player—with arguably the best picture quality I've yet seen from high definition discs.
But it's a work in progress, with shortcomings that need to be fixed. Hopefully they will be, with future firmware. Internet reports also suggest that the problems we encountered were widespread, both before and after the update, and not simply indicative of a defective sample.
While I haven't yet found a completely bug-free Blu-ray or HD DVD player, I can't quite recommend the Samsung Duo HD as it currently stands, even apart from its inability to play back advanced audio. That conclusion may well change in the future, and I hope it does. Certainly we look forward to a follow-up to this report when Samsung has ironed out all the kinks. But with the market looking increasingly Blu, by the time we have the answers will we still be asking the questions? “
http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/108sam5000/
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 PM

Yup, it's a work in progress and nothing better. Thanks for the article.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:30 AM

Jared your bitter. The 5000 is simply the best player out there. When the firmware gets released it will be even better. I bought one of the first batch back in Dec and I have had great luck with it and if I could go back and do it all over again, I would.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Yup, it's a work in progress and nothing better. Thanks for the article.
Lemme requote his opinion for you since you seem to have overlooked it:

"But where the Samsung really excelled was in pure picture quality. The Samsung produced high definition images from both BD and HD DVD that were as good—and sometimes better—than those I've seen from high definition players dedicated to either format."
Old 02-07-2008, 06:11 PM

Yup, he's bitter, nothing more. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 PM

I swear it is better than the HD-XA2 And that's where I disagree with the review. I was looking for a player that could output HD-DVD as good as my blu-ray and I have finally found it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Jared your bitter. I have had great luck with it
I think that is the problem, "luck". My buddy bought one, had to return it, got another, and both had problems. I also know one co-worker who had it and it had problems so he returned it...I hear its a good unit if you get one that works
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Jared your bitter. The 5000 is simply the best player out there. When the firmware gets released it will be even better. I bought one of the first batch back in Dec and I have had great luck with it and if I could go back and do it all over again, I would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Lemme requote his opinion for you since you seem to have overlooked it:

"But where the Samsung really excelled was in pure picture quality. The Samsung produced high definition images from both BD and HD DVD that were as good—and sometimes better—than those I've seen from high definition players dedicated to either format."
I'm not bitter. I just would never spend money on an incomplete machine. Buying an $800 player based on future promises is ludicrous.

vinnie97- I didn't overlook his opinion. I saw all the praise he gave the machine. But your quote conveniently left out the BOTTOM LINE of the review, in which the reviewer stated that he COULD NOT recommend purchasing it in its current state.

"The Samsung BD-UP5000 is in many ways a superb high definition disc player—with arguably the best picture quality I've yet seen from high definition discs. But it's a work in progress, with shortcomings that need to be fixed. Hopefully they will be, with future firmware. Internet reports also suggest that the problems we encountered were widespread, both before and after the update, and not simply indicative of a defective sample.
While I haven't yet found a completely bug-free Blu-ray or HD DVD player, I can't quite recommend the Samsung Duo HD as it currently stands, even apart from its inability to play back advanced audio. That conclusion may well change in the future, and I hope it does. Certainly we look forward to a follow-up to this report when Samsung has ironed out all the kinks. But with the market looking increasingly Blu, by the time we have the answers will we still be asking the questions? “
Old 02-07-2008, 10:54 PM

OK Jared, rattle off some blu-ray players OR HD-DVD players that ARE complete...100%...never needed upgraded firmware (or ever will)...runs everything...no issues at all.

Name it and I'll buy it.

I see you "settled" on the PS3....good luck with DTS-HD MA.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
OK Jared, rattle off some blu-ray players OR HD-DVD players that ARE complete...100%...never needed upgraded firmware (or ever will)...runs everything...no issues at all.

Name it and I'll buy it.

I see you "settled" on the PS3....good luck with DTS-HD MA.
Well, let's see. I started with the 360 add-on. I got that in December 2006 for $175 because I was really anxious to get into hi-def and the cheapest standalone was $500. I knew it had limitations, but at that time (like you today), I had no receiver or surround sound, so I decided that $175 was a low enough buy-in risk. I didn't "settle" on the PS3 at all. I bought that in January 2007 when it was not only cheapest ($600 vs. $1000+) but also clearly the best player on the market. From loading times, compatibility, first HDMI 1.3 player, etc. the PS3 was without a doubt the best player available, and then when you factor in the huge cost difference, buying it was a no-brainer. Look at all the Blu-ray player polls and it becomes obvious that I was not alone in this line of thinking.

I got my Onkyo 805 and speakers in July 2007, a full 6 months after the PS3. So when I got the PS3, DTS-HD MA wasn't even a concern of mine. But, since DTS-HD MA (internal decoding, not bitstreaming) will be coming to the PS3 via firmware, I can be like you and base it's entire prognosis on what will happen in the future. After all, if that's what will make the BD-UP5000 so great, then I can use the same lame excuse. The problem is, you paid more for these promises, while it was important to me to pay less. Now, 13 months after I bought a PS3, I say that I have stuck with it (specifically opposite of "settling") because it is still the best currently released player. It's already Profile 1.1 and will definitely be upgraded to Profile 2.0. I know that you can go out and buy a standalone 1.1 player today, but that would mean that you wouldn't have had that machine playing your Blu-ray movies for the last 13 months. The PS3 has zero disc compatibility issues, the fastest loading time, and the most upgradability. When it gets DTS-HD MA decoding, there will be absolutely nothing you can say to disparage it that would be fact as opposed to opinion.

This post is already long, but to somewhat answer your initial question... in the current stage, you'd clearly be better off with a Toshiba A35 and a PS3 than the Samsung Duo. You combine more complete specs/features with a cheaper total price and it becomes pretty evident to me. I suppose you'll just tell me that the Reon upscaler is a dealbreaker though, so you would never "settle" for two separate machines that don't have it.