The BD-UP5000 is awesome thread. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Default The BD-UP5000 is awesome thread.

Everyone seems to be crapping on the 5000 so I thought I would start a thread about the good things it does. Got mine last night, did the update right out of the box and BAM! Movie magic. Popped in POTC: AWE first. Played great. Next was Planet Earth HD-DVD. Amazing. Saw IV, Mr & Mrs Smith, Die Hard 4, all played great. Only thing i noticed was the menu on Mr & Mrs Smith was not normal but still worked just fine. I am very happy with my purchase. I got a HD DVD HDA1 on day one. Bought a PS3 the week it came out but was buying BD movies since it was released. I am very excited to have one player for all my movies. Plus I love the remote. It is very similar to my Samsung HDTV remote so now I can use it for both. Anyone else care to point out the positive qualities of the 5000?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM

I dont know about anyone else here but I thought it was an excellent player. I had one last month and it was great. I gave it back only because it wouldn't play combo discs very well at all. My Star Trek TOS Combo discs wouldnt' play. I dont really like combo discs, period, but just the fact that it wouldn't play it was just beyond me. I tried two different bought sets of the series (Which I neglected to mention) but it would play the same for both. Sound was just fine since I only use my TV for speakers. And all the Fox movies were just playing great. I'm surprised that many people were having problems with it. The menu for Mr. and Mrs. Smith was just fine. It starts with the front of their house and the slide-in options at the menu came in just fine. I dont care about the movie Sunshine but I still do collect most Blu-Ray titles and now all my HD-DVDs are becoming less in number because I am exchanging the warner ones for their blu-ray counterparts and the paramount ones for the ones that used to be relased on blu-ray before the switch. So far it's great. I have a gigantically large library of blu-rays which can compete with others as having a high number but only titles that potentially interest me. I just bought Million Dollar Baby, The Road Warrior, and The Game Plan on blu ray. All good titles. I am probably gonna buy one next month or the month after assuming I make enough money to buy one again without pushing my credit card into so much debt. Instead with the money I went and bought an electric bass. hahaha. So yeah, I'm a thumbs up on this machine!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Banned

Default 3:10 to yuma

won't play on the the 5000
Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM

I've written several times that I love mine. It plays everything I've tried but MAYBE 'sunshine', and I write 'maybe' because I stuck that in last night and it played for 10 minutes before I turned the system off.

I don't have '3:10...' so don't know if it plays. Also, I'm using the 6-channel-analog audio outputs and not the digital connections. I can sympathise with those who are frustrated trying to get at least some higher-res audio codecs out a digital feed.

I'm happy.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Hurray for the 5000!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:33 PM

I have yet to try a combo disc (which I have several). Was this fixed with the firmware update? That would suck if all of those titles could not play. Is it ALL combo discs or just a handful?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM

I never bought a combo disc and avoid them just in case they don't play. What a stupid idea....combo discs....
Old 01-26-2008, 12:40 AM

Wow.
What a short thread!
Will it play trueHD or DTSMA through the analogs?
How about good old fashioned DTS and DD?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:13 AM

bujee1: "Will it play trueHD or DTSMA through the analogs?"

It'll play and pass to the analog outputs EVERY hi-res sountrack I've played including the few BDs I have with hi-res (48/24) PCM tracks.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
bujee1: "Will it play trueHD or DTSMA through the analogs?"

It'll play and pass to the analog outputs EVERY hi-res soundtrack I've played including the few BDs I have with hi-res (48/24) PCM tracks.
Are you sure? Because everything on all the pro HiDef sites and letters from Samsung are saying "NOT YET, ONLY STEREO, UPDATE WITH FIRMWARE DUE IN APRIL". I would double check because you are the first place I have read this from in the last 24 hours of owning and researching this machine.