Which Combo player should I purchase? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Default Which Combo player should I purchase?

I have pre-ordered the Samsung combo player but with all the problems I am now thinking the LG BH200. I have been a following these boards since I first got both Blu-Ray& HD DVD players back in July 2006. Feels good to finally make a post. Thanks guys
Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbaker182 View Post
I have pre-ordered the Samsung combo player but with all the problems I am now thinking the LG BH200. I have been a following these boards since I first got both Blu-Ray& HD DVD players back in July 2006. Feels good to finally make a post. Thanks guys
If I was in the market for a combo-player, I would wait & see what the Samsung BD-UP5500 is like.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-13855_1-984....html?tag=more
Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM

I would cancel the order and wait for Samsung to fix the issues with a firmware update and if it never happens in a time frame you can accept, order the LG BH200. I don't think the LG player will be as good as the Samsung player ultimately but Samsung is having some issues with players right now.

Chris
Old 01-13-2008, 02:39 PM

I have the LG BH200 and love it. I have had no problems with it so far and it has played HD DVD with all its extra and Blu Ray excellent. It has also played the movies I heard people had problems getting it to play. It has the internet connection and space requirements to become a 2.0 profile player aswell which most of the other blu player don't have.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It has the internet connection and space requirements to become a 2.0 profile player aswell which most of the other blu player don't have.
Where is this posted? it's an interesting statment but I even went to LG's site and couldn't find any facts to back that up. "space requirements"? I HAD heard a Samsung rep say that the Samsung 5000 will be 2.0 compliant...whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I did hear it.

I have the 5000 and have had ZERO issues. If you wait for the 5500, you might save some cash, but it apparently won't have 7.1 analog out, which may or may not be useful to you.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWICK View Post
I have the LG BH200 and love it. I have had no problems with it so far and it has played HD DVD with all its extra and Blu Ray excellent. It has also played the movies I heard people had problems getting it to play. It has the internet connection and space requirements to become a 2.0 profile player aswell which most of the other blu player don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickengas View Post
Where is this posted? it's an interesting statment but I even went to LG's site and couldn't find any facts to back that up. "space requirements"?
http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...d_dvd_players/
Quote:
LG’s BH200 Super Blu Player ($999) is the second-generation dual-format player from LG, and unlike the first-gen model, the new player has the capability to handle interactive features of both formats including BD-Java, BD-Live (due next summer) and HDi. The LG BH200 outputs 1080p video resolution at 24-, 30- and 60 frames per second.
Profile 2.0 = BD-Live which is due next summer per the article
Old 01-14-2008, 11:27 PM

Ummm yeah....Not really so much. How much memory is in the BH200? Last I read, 1 gig is REQUIRED to be 2.0 compliant. Unless that changes, I don't think the BH200 will be completely 2.0 compliant. It may run BD-Live, but without enough memory, it may not run it correctly or something. I dunno. I would need to see exact BH200 system stats and current/correct profile 2.0 requirements.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Ummm yeah....Not really so much. How much memory is in the BH200? Last I read, 1 gig is REQUIRED to be 2.0 compliant. Unless that changes, I don't think the BH200 will be completely 2.0 compliant. It may run BD-Live, but without enough memory, it may not run it correctly or something. I dunno. I would need to see exact BH200 system stats and current/correct profile 2.0 requirements.
The only problem is that we dont know what the 1 Gig is used for. If it is just for storage, then those with less storage may be able to use the feature, its just that they cant download "everything" or will have to download more often.

In the end it comes to how much do these features mean to you. If you use the features then wait, if you dont then you have a few choices. Both the LG and the Samsung have their problems so I would recommend that you look at the owners threads and see which one you like the best (of wait to see whats coming out). If the Samsung comes out with the firmware to fix playback\audio issues then it would be the "best" player out there IMO.

You can always wait for the next best thing, but you will be in a constant state of waiting. There comes a time and point hwere you have to feel comfortable with jumping in and not caring about the next player. For me I chose the BDUP5K, I haven't had that may issues with it so far (knock on wood) and I can wait for the audio fixes.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 AM

I love my 5000. I jumped on mine because after finding out that profile 1.1 is the important profile to be compliant with, and profile 2.0 seems to offer little more than "web content", I decided that if the Samsung 5000 is 2.0 compliant, then fine, I'll look into using it. If the 5000 turns out not to be 2.0 compliant, I won't care, nor will I complain.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Inside the LG BH200 manual it says 1.1 profile (2.0 profile after firmware update). It has internal memory and also a usb for hooking up additional storage.