Major concern over my Samsung 5x (I live in Germany) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Major concern over my Samsung 5x (I live in Germany)

Well as many other people are aware, a new player from Samsung has been anounced, Warner has gone Blu....

so my concern has to do with the fact that I bought the 5x at a BestBuy in PA on the 24th of DEC 2007,

I am stationed in Germany, its not like I can drive to BB and return this, I'd have to ship to a family member and see if they can take it in for me...

I am a little upset that Samsung has not yet anounced anything for those of us that have a 5x..

Should I hold on to this, or should I ship it back to the U.S and have a family member return it back to BB?

If I choose not to return the item, is there any chance of a class action suite? I mean I believe we were missled on this machine, it is not doing everything that it proclaimed to be...does Samsung by law have to make right where wrong has happend in regards to this player?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 AM

What did it proclaim to do? I don't understand your post.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:55 AM

I'm sorry that you could not understand what I was trying to say...maybe proclaimed wasn't the word that I was looking for, I meant that Samsung put out a spec sheet, and this player is not doing everything that the spec sheet has listed...

Im sorry if my post was unclear...I just want to know from Samsung if this is going to be fixed via a firmware update, or should I box this up and send it back to the states...
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 AM

The Samsung is what it is right now. A Duo player. At the end of Jan the firmware to make it 1.1 compatible should be out. From another post I made, the Samsung is also 2.0 compatible. It will decode TrueHd and DTS-HD MA (probably with the same firmware patch, but I am unsure). This is simply the best player out in my opinion. Even though Warner went Blu-Ray, dont forget about Paramount, Dreamworks and Universal. They may stick with HD-DVD for a while..in that case, you'd miss out on movies like the Indiana Jones movies, Star Trek, Jurrasic Park Back to the Future....

I personally would keep it, but only you know what you want to do. In my OPINION, this player is future proof (as far I can see into the HD future).
Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 AM

I liked your post..thanks, didnt know about the 2.0 thingy...I think you are right, I should hold on to it, I just don't want to be one of those people who are out of luck for the new audio codecs...I really don't want to see Samsung release the 5500 and have it run the new audio codecs with no issues..so thats my main concern, is that Samsung drops support for this player and sticks to the 5500 player only...I agree on Paramount and Universal...they have great abount of titles to come out on HD DVD...so my next question would be, after the 30 days(meaning I can't return it to BestBuy) would we be out of luck? Or does Samsung have to do something by law(if the support for this player ends and no firmware is released)
Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 AM

Well, other than the "sleek new design" and coming with current firmware, I don't see a difference in the players. In fact, I read a few articles and none of them said anything about the player having the Reon chip inside. I'm guessing Samsung dropped that chip again to make that unit affordable. I personally don't like the smaller design (they get hot), and for the additional $200, I'll take mine NOW and I'll take it with the Reon chip. I don't want to wait until mid 2008. The Samsung 1200 was more expensive than the "flagship" 1400, and that was because the 1200 had the Reon upconverting chip in it, and the 1400 did not.

I also want the new audio formats decoded, so if I wasn't sure Samsung was going to release a firmware to unlock it, I wouldn't have bought this.